Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Trying to go from a nit to a slighty loose TAG (PT stats)

Default Trying to go from a nit to a slighty loose TAG (PT stats)

Hello everyone. I used to be quite a nit and played NL10 and NL25 6max with stats of 18/14 ( with a winrate of almost 10PTBB). Now I've tried to loosen up my game to something like 20/18. The pictures below are from a session I had where I tried this new style. Can you comment on my stats and give me some tips? The above picture is where I ran 18/14. The problem is my total agression factor which is usually huge ( around 7.0 over sample of 6,5K). Is this bad? Should I try to make it lower and how should I do it? I rarely call on the flop, and usually raise or fold.

Is this good or should I be trying something different. Should I go back playing nitty poker? How could I improve my game?

(The middle pic includes some fullstats, so the stats aren't accurate. I think I ran a bit looser. More like 24/20 or so)
    you seem plently aggressive over your "nitty" stats on the flop/turn. on the river you might not be value betting light or not bluffing often. your river aggression may be fine for the games you play in (a lower river AF would make sense if you were playing against players who have a high bluffing frequency on the river, for example)

your money WSF (won when seeing a flop) is nice at 41%. also your winrate over 30k hands is excellent!

id stick with your 18/14 game until the results aren't there anymore (this style will probably work fine for several limits higher than 25NL). myself and the majority of players on this site play a very similar preflop style (22/19 are my stats), and i have no problem beating 200NL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroters
    Ambition is fucking great, but you're trying to dig up gold with a rocket launcher and are going to blow the whole lot to shit unless you refine your tools
    So I should go back and nitty it up. I will probably do that because it's easier to play that way postflop, bacause I will generally have a better hand than my opponents. What do you think of the position stats from my slightly laggy session? Is the button VPIP ok?

Thanks for the support. Just tell me if you have anymore tips. I might try to river bluff more,and thin value bet. This might be a leak. Do you think I'm too aggressive postflop?
    I dont think ur first stats are nitty at all. Continue to play like the 1st stats picture...and you'll own most of the noobs around.
    sample size on the second one is retardedly small, so idk why you really posted it. but wtf are you talking about nit? is 18/14.5/5.5 a nit to you? i think you should should stick with what you are doing, because while the sample size is small, you are still crushing the micro games.
    Cash Rules Everything Around Me.
    "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Enough said
    thanks gueys. I'll keep my old game going.
    My goal is to reach NL50 as soon as possible.
    with those winrates it shouldnt be too much longer.
    Cash Rules Everything Around Me.
    I think you are losing value if you are never calling on the flop and this will not be a winning style at 50nl. I know this because it was the way I played when I moved up. You have to start learning to play post flop poker.

I also got real bluff happy though, so maybe it will work out better for you.
    <Staxalax> I want everyone to put my quote in their sigs
    I think you are losing value if you are never calling on the flop and this will not be a winning style at 50nl. I know this because it was the way I played when I moved up. You have to start learning to play post flop poker.
    Well said. I feel this is a serious leak for me. I think I'm pretty decent at reading hands and playing postflop, but I feel like something is missing and I'm playing kind of "automatic" poker. Do you have any advice on this? Can you give me an example of where calling on the flop is the best move?

Here is one that I just made up.
    I know if the flop is AT5 rainbow and villain donk and I have AQ, it's a pretty good place to call. What is the flop is two tone (FD flop)? Should I then protect my hand from the draw?
    Focus more on your opponents and less on pre-flop charts.
    Do you mean play less tables and try to get more reads?
    I must admit that I'm not very good at making very good reads, except the very obvious ones.
    Play 4 tables for a while. I used to multitable with 12 and was a robot. I lost big on a bunch of marginal hands and was shit at hand reading in general. After playing 4 tables for about 10k hands, I'm >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than I was before. Cut it down and focus on marginal/small pots, because that's where the real money is.
    My sig is too much for you to handle.