Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Operation I Am Not a Grinder

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    so since skyrocketing in march and making a withdrawal, BR has been pretty stagnant between 7.5 and 9.5k. right now it s somewhere in the middle, but i m really hoping to hit a hot spot and ride it up to 15kish by the end of the month.

what has happened so far is that every time i ve made an aggressive move up to 30-50$ SNG and tourneys at the 55$ level, i have run cold as ice, scoring multiple high orbits under 600 (that s dropping approx 1.2k in playing a block of 100 SNG), which would be hard to do even with a hired (or volunteer) monkey clicking buttons.

today it s time for another shot, so hopefully i can run like the montreal spring weather wan thaiiim.
    when the vpip's are high and the value bets are like razors, who can be safe?
    gahhhhhh 7th in the 109$ SCOOP preview for 300$ vs a small field, 1st was 2k, top set vs the nuts on QJ8dd after I was close to 100% sure villain has AA (he did +9T).
    you grind way to hard for someone whos not a grinder. hopin u bink one soon.
    thx weasel. ya i should rename this thread to reflect the surprising discovery of a grinder inside me.

after going on an early tear and getting deep in a cpl 55$ tourneys, today ended as a disappointment, mostly due to a streak of 2 payouts in my last 30 27$ and 38$ sng, when
    thx weasel.

disappointing day, mainly becuase of a couple brutal letdowns and then a sick 30 SNG stretch where i paid out in exactly 2... still contemplating a final night-owl session (2 am here right now) to bring my day up over 2k vpps.
    just busted 3rd in the 11$ 2r1a for 1.1k, a little disappointing (1st was 2k, went out w TT vs A5o) but it felt great to salvage a pretty horrific day (was down about 750 in SNG after yet another dizzying spiral of runbad).
    didn t grind long today, made about 400, gonna take it easy tonight and wait curiously as this whole FBI debacle plays out.
    grinding stars late-night sng and donkaments, up about 500 so far, games are amaaaaaazing
    it s just past 9 am and i m beginning to think firing up an 11$ non-turbo tourney at 3 am wasn't the best idea.

11 left, massive stack, 1.6k for 1st, unbeLIEvable whales everywhere around me

zzzzzzz
    ffs, 1.6k for 1st, 500 for 5th (5 left obv when this happens)

PokerStars Game #60903638595: Tournament #416010156, $10+$1 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XXIV (6000/12000) - 2011/04/16 9:34:00 ET
    Table '416010156 16' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
    Seat 2: xXxMadixXx (387044 in chips)
    Seat 5: 123Crusader (805768 in chips)
    Seat 6: naveld (678983 in chips)
    Seat 7: Genitruc (328908 in chips)
    Seat 9: blayne07 (379297 in chips)
    xXxMadixXx: posts the ante 1200
    123Crusader: posts the ante 1200
    naveld: posts the ante 1200
    Genitruc: posts the ante 1200
    blayne07: posts the ante 1200
    naveld: posts small blind 6000
    Genitruc: posts big blind 12000
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Genitruc
    blayne07: folds
    xXxMadixXx: folds
    123Crusader: folds
    naveld: calls 6000
    Genitruc: raises 12000 to 24000
    naveld: calls 12000
    *** FLOP ***
    naveld: checks
    Genitruc: bets 48000
    naveld: raises 605783 to 653783 and is all-in
    Genitruc: calls 255708 and is all-in
    Uncalled bet (350075) returned to naveld
    *** TURN ***
    *** RIVER ***
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    naveld: shows (a full house, Fives full of Queens)
    Genitruc: shows (two pair, Tens and Fives)
    naveld collected 661416 from pot
    the bustout hand was annoying :

PokerStars Game #60983324331: Tournament #416011167, $30+$3 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XXII (4000/8000) - 2011/04/18 4:48:14 ET
    Table '416011167 19' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
    Seat 3: Genitruc (247350 in chips)
    Seat 9: seppelfrikke (466650 in chips)
    Genitruc: posts the ante 800
    seppelfrikke: posts the ante 800
    Genitruc: posts small blind 4000
    seppelfrikke: posts big blind 8000
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Genitruc [Qd Ad]
    Genitruc: raises 8000 to 16000
    seppelfrikke: raises 449850 to 465850 and is all-in
    Genitruc: calls 230550 and is all-in
    Uncalled bet (219300) returned to seppelfrikke
    *** FLOP ***
    *** TURN ***
    *** RIVER ***
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    seppelfrikke: shows (two pair, Nines and Fives)
    Genitruc: shows (a pair of Nines)
    seppelfrikke collected 494700 from pot

but finished 2nd in the 33$ 8k guaranteed for 1.2k
    complete lack of effort to keep this blog up to date, but i went on a bit of a dry run with lots of frustrating bubble and 7-9th place finishes as well as a brutal run of SNG until taking down 2nd in the 5$r for just about 4k to get back on track.

maybe someday i ll make an interesting post but for now priority is to keep grind on my mind and supernova in my sights.
    made another 1k today donking (finished 2nd in 5$r for 800ish) and sitngoing... roll is back in healthy shape and i m wondering if i should ask to be staked for some higher buyin SCOOP events :

GENITRUC Poker Results and Statistics - Official Poker Rankings

Genitruc Poker Rankings on PokerStars, Period: 2011. Poker Tournament Type: Any Tournament.
    and god the more i think of it the more obvious it is that it s the mayor whodunnit
    back playing cash games gotta love it baby OOOOOH YEAAAAAH (rip macho man) :

$200.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Monday, June 20, 11:23:19 ET 2011
    Table 37858544 (Real Money)
    Seat 5 is the button
    Seat 2: Genitruc ( $242.30 USD )
    Seat 3: Rajrajraj ( $200.00 USD )
    Seat 4: BoogieMonster ( $412.12 USD )
    Seat 5: Twist3d ( $198.45 USD )
    Seat 6: kickofff ( $311.05 USD )
    kickofff posts small blind [$1.00 USD].
    Genitruc posts big blind [$2.00 USD].
    Dealt to Genitruc
    BoogieMonster folds
    Twist3d raises [$6.00 USD]
    kickofff folds
    Genitruc calls [$4.00 USD]
    ** Dealing Flop **
    Genitruc checks
    Twist3d bets [$9.00 USD]
    Genitruc calls [$9.00 USD]
    ** Dealing Turn **
    Genitruc checks
    Twist3d bets [$18.00 USD]
    Genitruc calls [$18.00 USD]
    ** Dealing River **
    Genitruc checks
    Twist3d bets [$22.00 USD]
    Genitruc raises [$209.30 USD]
    Twist3d calls [$143.45 USD]
    Genitruc wins $43.85 USD
    Genitruc shows
    Twist3d shows
    Twist3d wins $395.90 USD from main pot
    happy birthday dude! have an awesome one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    Happy Birthday man
    Family Cruise IMO
    hey, genitruc. i noticed on the first page of this blog you said you don't use huds at all. i'm interested in this idea as i feel my poker progression/general understanding of the game, as minimal as it has been thus far and still is, has been very heavily intertwined with statistics and frequencies etc (which i directly relate to HUDs) through which i attempt to determine my opponents' strategies as best i can, and then construct my own strategy based on that information. because of this, i've always considered the kind of information which is made automatically available by something like a HUD to be so pertinent to

A - learning about how poker works
    B - actually having the info at the table to know how to profit from the knowledge encapsulated in A

that anyone playing small/mid-stakes would need to be using it in order to succeed. you are quite clearly an exception to this rule, and a comment in a grinderschool video i recently watched which was made by renton also seemed to downplay the importance of huds etc (i'm sure there are millions more but i only read/hear a portion of their thoughts/strategies etc), which makes me think i may potentially have been focussing on the wrong things, or at least over-emphasising the importance of these statistics in my development as a poker player.

so my questions are:
    did you ever use a hud? if yes, why don't you use one now? what do you see as being the pros/cons of using such software?

feel free to completely ignore this post as it is (apparently) your birthday and i'm drunk posting in your thread. but i'd genuinely appreciate hearing your thoughts on the issue.

oh and happy birthday

edit: and i haven't read all 8 pages of this monster so if this topic has been discussed then yeah, i suck. and i apologise if that's the case.
    Last edited by rpm; 06-29-2011 at 11:40 AM.
    thx for the bday wishes guys

rpm:

if we were playing vs robots then HUDS are all we would ever need. the main reason i don t use a HUD is because I have always found that it gets in the way of adjusting mid-session.

who cares is some guy is 16/13/4? when ppl are affected by your style of play (assuming you are aggro and try to get under ppl's skin) you have to throw stats out the window in dealing with their adjustments and think one move ahead. the number of times i have seen nits play back in terrible spots is really surprising; if i had been relying exclusively on a HUD I think my default would have been "meh he s a nit gotta fold". playing without a HUD forces you to form a dynamic profile based on gameflow and showdowns that - hopefully - is much more relevant than generic stats over a big sample.

a simple example of the danger of relying too heavily on stats is 4-betting. what happens when a nit tilts like a monkey and starts 4-bet jamming 50% of his range for half an hour vs a monkey? your stats for his 4-bet will be skewed for thousands of hands because of that one session. you might say "nits don't do that". well, in my experience, they do.

another reason why overall stats are less important for me than they are for many people is that when i m the one applying lots of pressure (sometimes pre, mostly post-flop), regs tend to change their strategies for fear of being exploited. they c-bet less, makes fewer river bluffs and give up in spots where they re normally not giving up vs a robotagg or a fish. because of that, it actually hurts me if i respect the stats i see on my HUD since i m basically playing a version of the player that is significantly different from the generic version described by a HUD.

I could go on, but I think that's the gist of it. The value of a HUD for preflop decisions (who and when to 3-bet/4-bet) is undeniable. But in my experience, the very last hand you played vs someone can often be much more important than the villain's 3k hands sample in your database.
    interesting. nice response, thanks for that.
    fuck you nl100

bumparoo
    Nine to five is how to survive - I ain't trying to survive / I'm trying to live it to the limit and love it a lot //

Can offer RB deals on most sites, PM me.
    Bumping this up please. Hoping for some tips currently.
    Christ, it sure has been a while.

What's on your mind davidfrost?
    NO LOVE FTR WTF
    that's davidfrosts MO , he bumps old threads that he thinks no one will respond to his questions and appear to be active so he can get into the latest FTR money/ticket added tourney
    So, did you just stop playing, or..?