Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

AQo 9BB final table vs EP open ICM in play

Default AQo 9BB final table vs EP open ICM in play

Guy did have a 25% EP over 90 hands most of them were from an earlier table when he was commanding CL there, but with a pretty steep payout jump for a $3 tourney, I think ICM is in play and obvious had the feeling at that moment someone or more would bust out before I would do. Also why would he risk his good position here with an EP steal, when he prolly already has something locked up with his chipstack, on other hand he could also see this as a perfect spot to steal if so WP sir.

Payouts are from 8th-4th $46, $93, $139, $233, $307 and top 3 gets a Sony experia Z3 or around $500 in cash

Still pretty hard to fold AQo when you have 9BB.

What are your toughts?

$2k/$4k No Limit Holdem
    iPoker
    8 Players
    Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
    UTG mrhightower ($39k) 10bb
    UTG+1 SosiQue ($55k) 14bb
    MP1 Bravepiitt ($41k) 10bb
    MP2 Hero ($37k) 9bb
    CO EderDerMeister ($81k) 20bb
    BTN Blackbeard1718 ($28k) 7bb
    SB bubusvaba ($26k) 6bb
    BB LuciaFedele ($54k) 13bb

Pre-Flop: ($9.2k, 8 players) Hero is MP2
    1 fold, SosiQue raises to $8k, 1 fold, Hero folds, 4 folds

Final Pot: $17k

SosiQue wins $17k (net +$9.2k)
    Last edited by dombo; 01-23-2015 at 12:15 PM.
    I'm not sure I could fold that hand with 9BB's left. When I have less than 10 BB's I normally go AI with hands like that. But if you had a good read on him, you play was correct, as AQ is very often dominated.

How did you do in the end?
    The Time To Act Is Now...
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    Meh, you have some fold equity here and are in good shape vs his range. Four people have to bust out before the next payout. I'm no ICM expert but it feels like an easy shove to me. It should be noted that when you shove, the icm effects will be much stronger on UTG+1 and the other remaining players. People left to act may need to fold hands as strong as AQ TT/JJ, and UTG+1 will need to make some gross folds as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    Meh, you have some fold equity here and are in good shape vs his range. Four people have to bust out before the next payout. I'm no ICM expert but it feels like an easy shove to me. It should be noted that when you shove, the icm effects will be much stronger on UTG+1 and the other remaining players. People left to act may need to fold hands as strong as AQ TT/JJ, and UTG+1 will need to make some gross folds as well.
    I agree , some people I discussed it with also said they would have shoved it and I dont make "feel'' plays often but think this was one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerKing View Post
    I'm not sure I could fold that hand with 9BB's left. When I have less than 10 BB's I normally go AI with hands like that. But if you had a good read on him, you play was correct, as AQ is very often dominated.

How did you do in the end?
    This might be result oriented but made top3
    For me it's a clear shove. With 4th-8th the same payout,
    you can't reasonably hope that you get AK often enough to move up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sin Uggla View Post
    For me it's a clear shove. With 4th-8th the same payout,
    you can't reasonably hope that you get AK often enough to move up.
    This you did read wrong
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    Yeah I interpreted it like him as well. Still not sure if it is a fold, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    Yeah I interpreted it like him as well. Still not sure if it is a fold, though.
    I also do agree with this that a shove is the way 2 go here , but if payouts from 8th- 4th were same , stack already would have been in the middle and I wouldn't have posted it

Prolly wouldn't have put ICM in title as well

Quote Originally Posted by dombo View Post

Payouts are from 8th-4th $46, $93, $139, $233, $307 and top 3 gets a Sony experia Z3 or around $500 in cash
    Last edited by dombo; 01-30-2015 at 09:10 AM.
    There's no way I'm gonna fold AQo when my stack has drop down to 9BB because I don't think I can get better situation to double up ) Play for the Xperia Z3!
    Without looking this up I am confident its a fold

How peoples min raise ranges are built though make all the difference. Especially if you held TT or JJ, which vs an open jam would most likely be calls, but vs a polar min raise range become potentially -ev all ins which leaves you with call or fold pre.
    I know very little about icm but I shove here. The stack sizes are so close that you still have tons of fold equity and your hand plays well against his range. A fold should happen over 50 percent of the time and that increases your stack by almost 50 percent. Worth the risk to me.
    In this spot, I'm shoving against an open from almost anyone but a nit.
    Some days it feels like I've been standing forever, waiting for the bank teller to return so I can cash in all these Sklansky Bucks.
    You should play for the 1st place. Hard to fold that hand.
    The thing is that UTG+1 doesn't have a commanding chip lead on you so he will be severly affected if he calls and lose, so I will push here