Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

beat: just got my first cc

Default beat: just got my first cc

I overdrew on accident, put money in to cover it thinking it was the same business day so I wouldnt get charged, then spent the majority of that money. Even though my online bank seemed to say I was fine I still got charged, then charged again for spending the money I had depositited since I was under due to the initial overdraft fee. I went in to the branch to dispute it and he was like "yah just sign up for this cc that will provide overdraft protect and and Ill wave the 75$ in fees." Obv I did.

Anyways, I just got the cc in the mail, it has an 800$ limit and no apr for 6 months. My ipod was stolen over the summer when I was in cali and so Im using a 8+ year old cd player that eats batteries faster than an anorexic meth-head irish-catholic slut causes miscarriages. So yah, I have a cc and am tempted to recklessly charge 500$ to it.

Please talk me out of it. Please advise me on how to be responsible with a cc. Please tell me your horror stories of the vast mountains of debt you piled up using these devil tokens. Anything to ward off my impulsive spending problems.
    You-- yes, you-- you're a cunt.
    just think, you'll only be $800 in debt

/end thread

-Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by soupie
    That is the beauty of poker, it doesnt matter how they play, you can always devise the perfect defense and counterpunch hard.
    hmmm... buy a $150 ipod instead!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by courtiebee
    hmmm... Max it out and put it all on red instead!
    Buy an ipod with Fpp's obv!
    They waved your fees, right? That's all you wanted. Just cut up the card.
    <SrslySirius> Hal Lubarsky, my nemesis.
    <SaltLick> are you seriously losing to a blind guy
    Your credit isn't your money. You don't suddenly have $800, you just have the option to be suddenly up to $800 in debt.
    Check out the new blog!!!
    Putney, UK; Full Tilt,Mansion; $50 NL and PL; $13 and $16 SNGs at Stars
    Don't ever use it if you can't pay it off in full.

Or, srsly, cut it up. Pretend you never had a credit card and thank the bank for waiving all your fees.
    I got into a lot of trouble with credit cards when I graduated high school.... make sure you're responsible, I just recently got everything all paid off, which feels great.
    Credit cards can either be a blessing or a curse. A blessing is if you charge things to it, and pay them off in a timely fashion. My brother has his setup online so that at the end of the day he just clicks the bookmark, presses a few buttons and his balance is paid off. Doing this slowly improves your credit rating, so that in 10 years (or something) when you go to apply for a big loan or mortgage, you will be offered better rates.

A curse is if you think credit card is your money. Its not. Its just a vehicle to transfer your money. Im getting mine in the mail any day now. I think of it as a debit card. If i don't have the money... I dont have the money.
    When and how often do you use your CD player? What kind of music do you listen to? What about music do you enjoy? Do you find you work/think/operate better, worse or on par when listening to music? Whats the main difference between a day with music and a day without?

Open questions to anyone. If I can control it, I usually don't listen to music.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla
    When and how often do you use your CD player? What kind of music do you listen to? What about music do you enjoy? Do you find you work/think/operate better, worse or on par when listening to music? Whats the main difference between a day with music and a day without?

Get a cheap MP3 player(I got one for $25 that I use pretty often). Cut up the card...if you can't control spending it will come back to haunt you.

To Rilla: I think for me life is more enjoyable with music. I generally always have something on when in the car(XM so plenty of selection). My tastes tends towards jazz and alt-rock. Also like seeing live music when I can. I play bass part-time so I like disecting songs and especially bass lines, trying to pick up new things and incorporate what I like. I also don't generally have music on at home becuase my wife doesn't have much appreciation for it and I always lose the TV vs. stereo war. I'm not sure it makes me more or less productive at work, but I do enjoy it more with music on. I was brought up on music, we were always singing on trips or family get-togethers, so that's probably part of why it is so important.
    Boost, cut the card up immediately. I've gotten to know you over the past few years pretty well here, and a CC is not in your best interests right now with you in school and not having a steady income. You have a tendency to blow money pretty easily and a CC just makes that easier to do.

You can keep it for "just in case" type stuff, and an iPod does not fall into that category.

a little town called none of your goddamn business
    fuck all that get the fuckin ipod
    Maybe in your situation the bank tellers are instructed to waive the fees and give people the credit card because they expect to make their money back and more in the future when that person gets stuck with credit card debt?

I went in to the branch to dispute it and he was like "yah just sign up for this cc that will provide overdraft protect and and Ill wave the 75$ in fees."
    This sounds like a guy who is just following procedure, not a guy who's trying to you a favor. Think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jishu
    Doing this slowly improves your credit rating, so that in 10 years (or something) when you go to apply for a big loan or mortgage, you will be offered better rates.
    Is this true? Maybe I should do it. My credit rating got trashed a couple of months ago by some asshole who stole my card and spent 8K at CompUSA and Sports Authority. I think I know who did it but it sucks that I can't do anything about it. At least they didn't charge me the 8K.
    hah, Im not naive, I know why he waived the fees. And yah, Im not gonna cut it up, Im very tight on money right now and Ive gone a day or two with very little to eat. I dont plan to go and spend lots of money on this cc, but its nice to know that if need be, I can use it to eat until things arent so tight with money.

renton lol, yah I want to but before making this thread I already decided to be a nit.
    I love credit cards so much. I never carry much cash around with me (unless I'm going to play live) and I use my card whenever I can. That said, I only have one card, my limit is only $1500, and I always pay off the entire balance of my card way in advance.

If you really don't think you have discipline, boost, you should just cut it up. If you think you can control the spending on it, keep it. But as soon as you buy something that is unnecessary on the card and you can't pay it off almost immediately, you should probably cut it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    Boost, I remember when I got my first card. I was thinking the same way you are. I bought a new set of shoes day one. There went $250. Then I told myself that from then on it'd be emergency use only. Didn't happen. Took me a year and a half to pay it off. I was charging stuff like I had all the money. It'll probably be best to cut it up like George said.
    CCs are awesome. i always pay everything off every like week so i don't forget. then i get my 1% cashback reward and i'm happy. w00000!
    Quote Originally Posted by courtiebee
    I love credit cards so much.
    lol girl
    Quote Originally Posted by boost
    hah, Im not naive, I know why he waived the fees. And yah, Im not gonna cut it up, Im very tight on money right now and Ive gone a day or two with very little to eat. I dont plan to go and spend lots of money on this cc, but its nice to know that if need be, I can use it to eat until things arent so tight with money.

renton lol, yah I want to but before making this thread I already decided to be a nit.
    dude dont put an ipod on it, you might need the credit for i dont know.......food. And you can get an ipod for waaaaaay cheaper than 500 bucks, and i know you know this.
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla

1. I use it whenever I've got a journey that's gonna be more than 20 mins.
    2. I listen to Detroit Techno.
    3. I enjoy the way that I can use it to create images and thoughts within my mind that I hadn't previously seen/thought about.
    4. I feel I operate much much better when listening to Detroit Techno, it's like someone has put a comb through my mind-hair - I can fully concentrate on the task at hand rather than get distracted by the thousands of bits of input surrounding me.
    5. A day with is generally more thoughtful, deep and reclusive. A day without is much more social and active but quite draining.
    just use a debit card, then u only spend money u have! Works for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptanes
    just use a debit card, then u only spend money u have! Works for me!
    fish
    you have ur whole life to pay off the debt, just buy everything you want now obv.

j/k. dont do that. bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trikflow77

dude dont put an ipod on it, you might need the credit for i dont know.......food. And you can get an ipod for waaaaaay cheaper than 500 bucks, and i know you know this.
    I want a touch, cause those things are awesome to the 10th power.

but yah, like I said before, not gonna buy it til I have an abundance of cash.

p.s having a keg this saturday, 5$ a cup. Come on college kids, pay jabus rent!
    I always magically have money in my bank account that just pays off my credit card at the end of the month. I doughnut really know how it works, but i never get charged any fees or nuttin. So i am just going to be level with you here and give you my honest opinion. Obv do it, but you should get an iphone instead
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmxicle
    I always magically have money in my bank account that just pays off my credit card at the end of the month. I doughnut really know how it works, but i never get charged any fees or nuttin. So i am just going to be level with you here and give you my honest opinion. Obv do it, but you should get an iphone instead
    well the thing is, I have a phone on someone elses acct that was a special promotion or some shit, so it only costs like 5$ a month. Also an iphone holds way less songs. I want it mainly for the ipodness, but the wifi browser and stuff is extremely cool as well. Oh and dont forget the widescreeeeeen.
    stars 2gig mp3 player was like 5k fpps. Nice too.
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoricism
    hmm... spent my last fpp on some poker book. And 2 gig is so lame... I dont want to have to manage my ipod... I just wanna put my library on there and go.
    hmm... spent my last fpp on some poker book. And 2 gig is so lame... I dont want to have to manage my ipod... I just wanna put my library on there and go.
    u need more music if your library can fit on an ipod.
    U gotta hit up more of that Raekwon shit.
    LOL, I wonder when they'll start making 1TB iPods?
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Quote Originally Posted by Aces
    Get a cheap MP3 player(I got one for $25 that I use pretty often). Cut up the card...if you can't control spending it will come back to haunt you.
    Quote Originally Posted by vqc
    I have almost 10 gigs and it seems like a lot to me right now. They have 160gig ipods, and Im sorry but youre nuts if you dont think thats a lot of fucking music.
    yeah i am a little silly about music and my 160 gig is only half full
    Quote Originally Posted by vqc
    I have almost 10 gigs and it seems like a lot to me right now. They have 160gig ipods, and Im sorry but youre nuts if you dont think thats a lot of fucking music.
    My Dream Theater folder alone is 3.32 gigs. Hell, Bands/Artists A-B is already 9.32 gigs.

I'm at 62 gigs and I haven't downloaded music for 2 years. My friend loves music is at ~200 gb.
    right... but you guys are nutso. 200gigs is over half a year of continuous music depending on the compression rate.