Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Late MTT Strategy

Default Late MTT Strategy

At the end of last year I was having trouble when getting deep to make the final table which costed me a lot of profit. This could to some extent be due to variance and lack of volume but its still something that I feel I need to improve on. At what point should I go into shove or fold mode? Here is one of the more memorable hands that I played and bubbled a final table. I was short stacked with only 12 bbs and had KQ off UTG+1 and shoved eight handed. Is this a +ev shove in such early position or should I have waited for a better spot?
    Whether you should push or fold something depends on many things. Post some hands.

Play some SnGs and get better at short stacked play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    In my opinion and since you still had 12BBs... why shove from an early position like that, with a hand like that and almost on the FT... you could've waited a bit longer! Was it a turbo tourney?
    Without knowing about other stacks and payouts, you can't really talk about the hand. I guess you can say that usually jamming KQ with 12bb is a +EV play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    It was not a turbo. I played that one on Bovada so I could not post the hand history but will be playing some games on carbon today and will post hand histories if I feel like I miss play some spots.
    I think with 12bb getting it in with KQ is not going to be horrible, but we can probably wait for a better spot. I think I'd sooner gii with something like 88 or ATs with 10bb a few hands later, for example. We still have a couple of orbits before we need to switch into panic mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    There is no doubt that the time just before the bubble bursts is the hardest for most players. It is a mind set thing and the obvious question is how much does it matter to you to cash rather than risk going out. It is not easy but an aggressive approach at that stage of the game often pays off because other players do not want to risk chips thinking they want to keep them until the bubble bursts and then get more aggressive. Having said that you still need to pick your spot and shoving with lots of players still in front of you is perhaps not the best move. Okay it is a decent hand but if there is a big stack in front of you with and A with a decent kicker that is all it needs for you to go out. Tough position but I would have waited a bit longer before pushing.
    Scottish Cowboy
    You have a nice cards, but with 12BB it would be better if you wait for a better spot, like pocket pair or AK,AQ.
    Wait a little longer and fold kq utg+1 with your 12BB stack. It's marginal to shove with that because nowadays players will call 12x jams with acerags and any pair so kq isn't worth it. Sure the blinds are going through you soon, but you probably will get a better situation within the next orbit.