Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Todays big pots

Default Todays big pots

Been having a rough run so wondering if I'm doing something wrong in my big pots:

Hand #1: This guy didn't sit down too long ago so I don't know anything about him yet.

$0.50/$1 No Limit Holdem
    4 players
    Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
    CO teliafelia ($57.65)
    BTN ROFLImPro ($113.15)
    SB Hero ($114.20)
    BB sirkroghxx ($90.25)

Pre-flop: ($1.50, 4 players) Hero is SB
    2 folds, Hero bets $4, sirkroghxx calls $3.50

Flop: ($9, 2 players)
    Hero bets $6, sirkroghxx bets $28, Hero goes all-in $103.70

Hand #2: Another unknown. Also, should I have checked flop? Or am I still getting value from QQ,99-TT?

$0.50/$1 No Limit Holdem
    4 players

Stacks:
    CO MEN27 ($179.65)
    BTN docspock ($102.95)
    SB Hero ($158.85)
    BB henrikko72 ($99.00)

Pre-flop: ($1.50, 4 players) Hero is SB
    MEN27 bets $3, docspock calls $3, Hero bets $15, 1 fold, MEN27 calls $12.50, docspock calls $12.50

Flop: ($47.50, 3 players)
    Hero bets $25, 1 fold, docspock goes all-in $87.45, Hero...

Edit: Adding a couple more!

Hand #3: Villain is 19/13/2.6. However, he will call squeezes with PPs and has been tilting the past while. Plus I've been trash talking him in chat so he's kind of gunning for me.

$0.50/$1 No Limit Holdem
    5 players

Stacks:
    UTG britneyfan86 ($448.70)
    CO FAT_FINGER ($187.55)
    BTN Hero ($122.55)
    SB mr.pr0per ($99.00)
    BB ahks ($93.95)

Pre-flop: ($1.50, 5 players) Hero is BTN
    britneyfan86 bets $4, FAT_FINGER calls $4, Hero bets $18, 2 folds, britneyfan86 folds, FAT_FINGER calls $14

Flop: ($41.50, 2 players)
    FAT_FINGER bets $20, Hero goes all-in $104.55

Hand #4: I don't know a thing about these guys. So I played it kinda weird, I don't like 3-betting JJ to an UTG open. But at the same time I don't feel like it's weak enough to fold to the squeeze. So I figured I'd call and see what happens on the flop. Once the PFR's out I like my hand more.

$0.50/$1 No Limit Holdem
    5 players

Stacks:
    UTG ahks ($139.95)
    CO britneyfan86 ($105.40)
    BTN WannaBeToni ($117.75)
    SB Hero ($99.65)
    BB Charcot ($127.50)

Pre-flop: ($1.50, 5 players) Hero is SB
    1 fold, britneyfan86 bets $4, 1 fold, Hero calls $3.50, Charcot bets $13, britneyfan86 calls $10, Hero calls $10

Flop: ($42, 3 players)
    Hero checks, Charcot bets $35, 1 fold, Hero goes all-in $85.65

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    Hand 1 - Stacking off with a weak TP against an unknown in a blind battle seems not good. I might muck to the flop raise, as we don't really want to play this hand in a big pot. If we didn't have the T as a pair I might shove then.

Hand 2 - Insta call. What do you put him on, JJ?
    My sig is too much for you to handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by freechus9
    Hand 1 - Stacking off with a weak TP against an unknown in a blind battle seems not good.
    TP & OESD, when he is raising us with FD, SD, pair+draw, air, sets, two-pair & maybe even a trappy over pair... were never in terrible shape & many times were flipping or the favorite.

Hand 2 is kinda ugly, he has a J a decent amount, since once the original raiser calls, he is getting such a nice price. His range is a lot wider than that tho.
    Hand 1 - yah this can never be that bad. If you ever have any FE its good. He'll prob call with a lot of FD's too.

Hand 2 - insta snap it off. I'd like it more if there was a FD, but still, no way his range is only Jx.

Hand 3 - yah this is weird. I don't think he's that strong once he leads into you on flop. I'd be more afraid if he c/jammed than this donk leading. c/jam he prob has like an over+FD or something, but donk leading he prob has some weak pair he's protecting. Sometimes they showup with JJ/QQ here though but meh.

Hand 4 - It looks to my like it was CO open? .. and that it's only 5-handed? In that case, I think I'd jam over all the dead money when it comes back around to me PF.

As played... I don't know. He's betting into TWO players, including the EP raiser, so I don't think he has air anymore. You're also behind 99 and TT now, so you're not ahead of very much. Fold is probably right.
    1- seems bad but his raise size is combo drawy as hell so it might be decent
    2- call for sure
    3-good
    4- kind of an obvious flop fold
    My bankroll is the amount of money I would spend or lose before I got a job. It is calculated by adding my net worth to whatever I can borrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutsinho
    Do you agree with Griffey that I should put it in when it comes back around to me preflop?

Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos
    Quote Originally Posted by nutsinho
    Do you agree with Griffey that I should put it in when it comes back around to me preflop?
    Depends on your opponent and how your game plays. Part of the problem when higher stakes types look at hands like these is that they're used to dealing with opponents who squeeze often enough for that to be the play.

Giving action here varies from fist pump to standard to marginal to pure spew. You gotta figure out what's right for your game given what you know about him.

Oh yeah, standard comment on what I think about big pots.
    You're not doing a good job of interpreting your opponents' bet sizing. In Hand 1 and especially Hand 4 you should be able to tell by the size of those bets that your opponent thinks he's ahead and wants to get money into the pot right now.
    #1 - bet more on flop then fold to his raise. stove his ranges and it shud be a clear fold imo.

#2 - i was thinking fold flop intially until i read wot the guys above said. is TTQQ99 really shoving here? id say they wud call a street? Isnt his shoving range basically all Jx hands and Air. Its a tiny range of hands, hmm i wonder if his Jx hands also just call therefore he will simply only raise with air on flop.

#3 - i like

#4 - fold flop

#4 -
    Jman: every time the action is to you, it's an opportunity for you to make the perfect play.
    hand 1 - ok after reading some replies, and looking back at bet-sizing, I change my mind about this. If he raised to like 17-20 I'd feel a lot better about our fold equity, but it does seem like he wants to get it in here.

Any reads on how he plays in bvb spots?

Board: 8d Td 9c
    Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 37.867% 36.28% 01.58% 19397 846.50 { JsTs }
    Hand 1: 62.133% 60.55% 01.58% 32370 846.50 { TT-88, Ad9d, Ad6d, Ad5d, Ad4d, Kd9d, QcJc, QdJd, Qd9d, Jd9d, T8s+, 98s, 9d7d, 76s, T8o+, 98o, 76o }
    Quote Originally Posted by mcatdog
    You're not doing a good job of interpreting your opponents' bet sizing. In Hand 1 and especially Hand 4 you should be able to tell by the size of those bets that your opponent thinks he's ahead and wants to get money into the pot right now.
    Well like I mentioned, I know nothing about any of these guys except the guy in the TT hand. Or are you talking about interpreting unknowns in general? Because yeah, I would have to say I definitely suck at that.

I guess you're basically saying if an unknown is showing he means business it's best to assume he does until we know otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos
    I guess you're basically saying if an unknown is showing he means business it's best to assume he does until we know otherwise?
    If an opp is getting tricky, he'll probably do it again. In my experience thinking an unknown is making a play makes me lose my stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by griffey24
    Hand 4 - It looks to my like it was CO open? .. and that it's only 5-handed? In that case, I think I'd jam over all the dead money when it comes back around to me PF.
    Plz explain 4 nOOb
    Quote Originally Posted by freechus9
    Quote Originally Posted by griffey24
    Plz explain 4 nOOb
    The initial raiser was CO and it was only 5-handed and not 6-handed. So his range for opening with only 3 people left to act (2 being the blinds) is almost the same as him opening on the button (as in, very wide).

Then hero flat calls his range (so hero also has a very wide range, including a lot of pretty marginal hands).

BB re-raises two players who very likely both have weak hands and can be doing this light to steal, or even legitimately with a wide range he perceives to be best (AJ+, reads would help here). Then CO flat calls this squeeze (read dependent again, but this can either be a very strong hand that he's slow playing or possible all pairs/high cards etc).

After this action it's very possible that CO has a hand like 66-TT,QJ/KQ and sometimes overpairs QQ+ calling in position, and BB has a hand like AQ/AK/AJ or any other hand he might squeeze with. Given all the dead money hero's JJ is often ahead.

If either CO has a tight opening range, and/or BB has a very tight 3-betting range than a fold could definitely be ok here as well. reads reads reads