Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Home Brewing with Kingnat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Damn just saw this thread. About to read through it all. Just bottled my first batch last night (Bavarian Hefenweisn Kit) Very basic setup. Figured I would keep it simple for first batch. I feel like I messed it up a little though. I did not do the hydrometer reading right though. it had some sediment at the bottom of the glass which I just read today can throw off the readings.
    Im with you king
    cool thread! I'm thinking about doing some home brewing.

I already do some fruit spirits.

I got some Sloe Gin going and some gooseberry ratifia.

you want to make some of this shizzle.

Fruit, sugar and gin or vodka.

You'll need 450g of fruit, 225g of sugar for every litre of booze.

Get a large sealable sterile jar (Le parfait are best), fill half up with fruit, chuck on the sugar, then pour over the drink.
    Give a shake, then leave in a dark place. Keep gently shaking every day for a week, then leave for a few months, shaking when you rember.

Then drain into bottle through muslin and there you go! You can leave to mature for years in the bottle, though I just neck it all with cheese...mmmmmmmmmm

And don't chuck your fruit after this. Put back in jar, add more sugar and pour over Sherry and leave for a month. You now more booze!
    Normski
    i've made mead before...does that count? also i helped make some blueberry ale...amber bock. glug.( very heavy tasting) and a bunch of other stuff...i need to make some more mead...mmmm mmm good...very sweet. i have an award winning recipe from a friend. anyone want to try to make it?...its goooood.
    How long did you let your mead sit before drinking it?

I'm getting the brewing fired up this Sunday. I have people who'd like to brew a lighter summer beer, and people that want darker, flavor... so I'm going to try to split the difference and make something in the 8-9% abv range that will likely be pale ale-ish.

I'll try to ship pics.
    So you click their picture and then you get their money?
    Brewing was awesome last night. Made a fairly brilliant wort chiller. SOOO pretty.

OG was 1084. I'm hoping for >9% abv, we'll see how it comes out.
    My first brew batch was a success. The Bavarian Hefenweizen. Came out tasting a lot like maudite unibroue. One week in the fermenting bucket, one week after bottled at room temp, 4.5-5 weeks in the fridge.
    We are doing a blond now. Guy from a place called Hop City in ATL hooked us up with a recipe. Its just out of a book though. Will be my first brew with grains.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    How long did you let your mead sit before drinking it?

I'm getting the brewing fired up this Sunday. I have people who'd like to brew a lighter summer beer, and people that want darker, flavor... so I'm going to try to split the difference and make something in the 8-9% abv range that will likely be pale ale-ish.

I'll try to ship pics.

i let it sit for about 6 months....but some of it came out carbonated. weird. same batch. i'll find the recipe and post it.
    My imperial brew, came out very malty, but delicious. Followed that up with an IPA (ldo) which is already bottled, and then "Goat Scrotum Porter" from Charlie Papazian's book. We added baker's chocolate, brown sugar, ginger, and blackstrap molasses. It's going to be pretty ridiculous... I hope it tastes alright.
    Quote Originally Posted by triumphant cracker View Post
    i let it sit for about 6 months....but some of it came out carbonated. weird. same batch. i'll find the recipe and post it.
    Yes, please to post. I'm VERY intrigued, and have an extra carboy I wouldn't mind using.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Slayer View Post
    We are doing a blond now. Guy from a place called Hop City in ATL hooked us up with a recipe. Its just out of a book though. Will be my first brew with grains.
    Ok so weird circumstances making the blond brew last night. I noticed I had a hard time cooling the wort down. I finally did with an ice bath. Over night my AC quit working. The ambient temperature in my house read at 90 degrees for about 12 hours till it was fixed.
    I did pitch the yeast when it was cooled, obviously the temp had to rise after a while. The airlock was bubbling the next day.
    Do you guys think the higher than room temperate for about 12 hours will affect brewing? I do not know what the exact temp of wort was, I did not have my thermometer.
    I don't know specifics, but fermenting at that high of a temp isn't great. I would suspect that your beer will still ferment (it's not hot enough to kill the yeast). You will probably still have drinkable beer but you might have some off flavors – kinda skunky stuff, very odd bitter tastes and stuff.

I'd still bottle it and drink it. It doubt it has gone "bad". Just might not be your best. Keep trying and in the meantime you can use them for Red Beers or bonging if nothing else.
    I don't know specifics, but fermenting at that high of a temp isn't great. I would suspect that your beer will still ferment (it's not hot enough to kill the yeast). You will probably still have drinkable beer but you might have some off flavors – kinda skunky stuff, very odd bitter tastes and stuff.

I'd still bottle it and drink it. It doubt it has gone "bad". Just might not be your best. Keep trying and in the meantime you can use them for Red Beers or bonging if nothing else.
    Think adding more yeast will help? Or just not much I can do now. Its a clone recipe for the Rogue blond (cant remember the exact name atm) dont know if that makes a difference. Btw today is day 3 after piching yeast. It was still bubbeling a bit I popped the top to check. It did have the foam on top and ring around the inside of the bucket, kinda looked normal.
    Think adding more yeast will help? Or just not much I can do now. Its a clone recipe for the Rogue blond (cant remember the exact name atm) dont know if that makes a difference. Btw today is day 3 after piching yeast. It was still bubbeling a bit I popped the top to check. It did have the foam on top and ring around the inside of the bucket, kinda looked normal.
    No need to add yeast. If it's bubbling that means that the yeast is alive, eating sugars and making alcohols (and CO2 hence the bubbles). So you are all good there. The foam on top is called the krausen.

But I like to call it the Kraken for kicks. (i know i'm a freaking wild man)

The bubbling should subside in teh next day or two. I'd let it sit for another week (unless your recipe tells you to do otherwise), before bottling. Do you have any plans to do secondary fermentation? It's often desirable for VERY clean looking beers, but usually doesn't impact the flavors much.
    No need to add yeast. If it's bubbling that means that the yeast is alive, eating sugars and making alcohols (and CO2 hence the bubbles). So you are all good there. The foam on top is called the krausen.

But I like to call it the Kraken for kicks. (i know i'm a freaking wild man)

The bubbling should subside in teh next day or two. I'd let it sit for another week (unless your recipe tells you to do otherwise), before bottling. Do you have any plans to do secondary fermentation? It's often desirable for VERY clean looking beers, but usually doesn't impact the flavors much.
    Yea the fermentation is looking normal, so I thought maybe the temp had not effected it much.
    I do not know anything about secondary fermentation. This is my second batch.
    First was a kit with just liquid malt.
    Second was a little step up with steeping 1/2 caramel grains, 1/2 honey grains. I dont remeber what type of malt and hops were used though.
    What does the secondary fermentation do? Make higher Alcohols?
    Yea the fermentation is looking normal, so I thought maybe the temp had not effected it much.
    I do not know anything about secondary fermentation. This is my second batch.
    First was a kit with just liquid malt.
    Second was a little step up with steeping 1/2 caramel grains, 1/2 honey grains. I dont remeber what type of malt and hops were used though.
    What does the secondary fermentation do? Make higher Alcohols?
    Since you aren't dealing with a high gravity beer, the only thing to really gain by using a secondary would be that more particulate matter will fall out of the beer, making it clearer adn cleaner (like all domestic mass produced beers are). But it won't effect the taste. I wouldn't bother, just bottle and drink in a couple weeks.
    I also recommend to not worry, relax and have a home brew.
    That said, secondary almost never hurts and almost always helps IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSaucy View Post
    I also recommend to not worry, relax and have a home brew.
    That said, secondary almost never hurts and almost always helps IMO.
    Sounds good guys. Thanks.
    Going to try something else next time. Either a clone of that Tommyknocker cocoa. Or a cider, I hear they are harder though. I was thinking a wheat beer with a slight taste of sour apple might be good. Where is the best place you guys have found for recipes?
    zok's sweet mead recipe

( all temps in Fahrenheit)

mix 15 lbs of quality honey with water into a kettle to a TOTAL volume of 5gallons.

mix and slowly bring the temp to 170 deg. (pasteurization temp.)

hold at that temp for 20 mins to kill bad junk.

cover kettle and immerse whole thing in cool water to chill to 75 deg.

add 5 teaspoons each of acid blend and yeast nutrient mix

pitch the yeast (recommended a yeast starter of at least 1 liter)

***to make a starter yeast....
    boil 1 cup of corn sugar or dry malt with a liter of water for 15 mins.
    chill to 75 deg. and transfer to a sanitized container (half gallon wine jug works well) with an airlock attached. add the yeast and mix vigorously.
    you need to do this at least 2 days before mead making day.***

conduct the primary fermentation for 3 months @ 65-75 deg.

transfer to a secondary carboy. and leave at the same temp.^^

this second transfer may take a long time. (6 months or more) be patient, honey is a slow fermenter.

check if the fermentation is complete by doing a specific gravity, recording it and do it again in 2 weeks. if there is no change the mead is ready to bottle. if there is a change then wait 2 more weeks and do another gravity reading.

remember...be patient.

also some side notes.....
    poor quality honey = poor tasting mead.
    if you bottle it too soon it will have carbononization
    wait for clarification...hazy looking mead will probably taste ok, but look like shit.
    sanitize your equipment!!
    you can try different types of honey, or honey/fruit/spice combination for different tasting meads....
    i used a brand of honey called orange blossom honey. it was delish!
    try getting the honey from a local honey place, or a home brew store.
    ....not the grocery store
    this is where i got my supplies and honey.
    Zok's Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

that's it....have fun...
    TC
    Last edited by triumphant cracker; 10-15-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    ^^^ This is fucking awesome. I am already laying the groundwork to get honey from a local guy. I can get 15lbs for $45. Is the fermentation slow the whole way through? I ask because I have a 5 gallon carboy and a 6.5 gallon carboy. I also want to keep brewing beer, so I'm guessing I'll need to get a couple of food grade buckets for beer.

I'll use the 6.5 gallon carboy for the primary and the 5 gallon for the 2nd-ary. Do you only pitch yeast the one time? And 3 months of primary doesn't give the mead any funkiness from the expired yeast?

Am I using a wine yeast, a champagne yeast or something else?

Thanks man, I'm sure I'll have more questions. If I'm taking 9 months of my life to do this, I sure as shit don't want to fuck it up.
    yes ...very slow... and bubbly.
    yes..pitch yeast once.
    no..no funkyness....cuz by the time its done expiring the yeast its almost ready for the transfer to another container. ( for clarity)
    i'll have to ask about the type of yeast to use, and get back to ya ...like you said..." taking 9 months of my life to do this, I sure as shit don't want to fuck it up."

also...you're going to need a bunch of bottles and corks. i purchased some small decorative ones that i could give out to peeps as gifts.

like these..375 ml CLEAR RENANA STYLE BURG.BOTTLES CORK FINISH (24/CASE-Homebrew4less.com LLC

i also bought other kinds like a beer bottles but i dint like the look of the mead in em...so i use them for beer. also Chianti bottles look great. i use them for the wine too.

ok..i'll check with zok for specifics and let you know.

TC
    3 months in primary…..at least 6 months in secondary.
    use Wyeast sweet mead yeast..
    pitch yeast only on day #1.

Champagne or wine yeast will make a dry mead, if you like that.

Clarify with Sparkalloid after 6 months in secondary…only if the fermentation is complete…

So brewing in NoDak has taken some steps in the upward direction. One of my buddies here, bought a 7.5 gallon stainless steel turkey fryer (GORGEOUS) and stand, etc. for $30 at a garage sale. Unbelievably cheap. He also set an old range in his garage and wired it up, so he pulls the cars out and we have this massive brewing station with practically everything we need. It's retarded good.

So we brewed 11 gallons in one night. 6 gallons of a Tripel and 5 gallons of Oatmeal Stout. Bottled the Stout last night. I drank a glass out of the primary... (no carbonation, room temp...) and it was delicious. I can't wait to see the final result.

Hope Dragon Slayer's brew turned out alright.
    sweet...great idea..i need a stove in my garage...
    Something I finally paid attention to these last two batches is fermentation temperature. I've always just stuck my bucket/carboy in the cool basement (typically 65 degrees) and thought, that's good enough, but after more reading I was convinced that something a bit more active was necessary. Essentially, the inside of one's fermentation vessel can be as much as 10+ degress F higher than the ambient temp during active fermentation (which lasts around 3 days), which can lead to off flavors in one's beer.

My solution is to put my carboy into a large plastic tub, and then filled it halfway with cold water, and placed a t-shirt over the top of the carboy. The shirt wicks (soaks up) water into it and cools via evaporation. Placing a water bottle that is filled with water and frozen preemptively is also suggested. You can get TOO cold and get a stuck fermentation, so don't go ape shit.
    Ran into brabbit at the tables last night made me think of this thread and the double batch I'm brewing in two days. As per fat b's request, I'm going to attempt more pictures and maybe a few videos to post.

I'm not selecting the recipes this time around so idk what we're even brewing yet. Hope everyone's home brew is tasting great!
    i like that
    do the right thing.
    bumpity bump.
    I've been brewing like mad... 12 batches since May. My latest attempt was a Two Hearted Ale Clone with loads and loads of Centennial hops. It's dry-hopping in a secondary right now.
    What is the story with your avatar? What brewery, and is it good? My favt ipa is hopslam from bells or my own.
    What is the story with your avatar? What brewery, and is it good? My favt ipa is hopslam from bells or my own.
    Fitger's Brewhouse Brewery and Grille | Facebook

Fitger's Brewhouse
    I've been brewing like mad... 12 batches since May. My latest attempt was a Two Hearted Ale Clone with loads and loads of Centennial hops. It's dry-hopping in a secondary right now.

All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come) - Home Brew Forums

we were just talking about this last month.....
    It's from Misty's Steakhouse in Lincoln, NE. I only had it once and wasn't impressed... but it's the awesome combo of the restaurant name (a Nebraska Legend), Hops, and Led Zeppelin. How fucking win is that?
    can we get pics of beers or at least hot wife?
    Quote Originally Posted by flomo View Post
    can we get pics of beers or at least hot wife?
    You bet, I've been meaning to do this for sometime. I took a bunch for fatb awhile back and never posted them.

Update on the Two-Hearted Clone... we used 8 oz of Centennial hops in all.. 6.5 oz during brewing and 1.5 oz for dry hopping. During the boil we the hops were disproportionately added late in the boil in order to get the floral and flavor notes in the hops, had we dumped it all at the beginning we'd have an over-the-top bitter IPA without the floral balance.

We left it for 2 weeks in the primary and 4 weeks in the secondary for dry hopping. The length of time sounds like we were REALLY patient but the truth is we were all busy as hell. It's been bottled for a week and a half and I'll probably let it sit a full month before I try the first bottle.

P.S. I fucking love beer.
    I still haven't posted all the pics and vids.. hopefully sometime soon. But the weather is improving, and I got beer on teh fucking mind. I'm hoping to expand to all-grain this spring... and really getting an eff-ton of brew going for the summer!
    Something I finally paid attention to these last two batches is fermentation temperature. I've always just stuck my bucket/carboy in the cool basement (typically 65 degrees) and thought, that's good enough, but after more reading I was convinced that something a bit more active was necessary. Essentially, the inside of one's fermentation vessel can be as much as 10+ degress F higher than the ambient temp during active fermentation (which lasts around 3 days), which can lead to off flavors in one's beer.

My solution is to put my carboy into a large plastic tub, and then filled it halfway with cold water, and placed a t-shirt over the top of the carboy. The shirt wicks (soaks up) water into it and cools via evaporation. Placing a water bottle that is filled with water and frozen preemptively is also suggested. You can get TOO cold and get a stuck fermentation, so don't go ape shit.
    Have you noticed a difference since trying this? Something I had never heard of (yeah, you posted this a year ago, so what, wanna fight about it?)
    Bought 12lbs of honey a month ago at a farmer's market. Made a light honey that we kegged for a party and was a resounding success. Have a brown honey ready to bottle, and brewed two more batches today, one more light honey, and a honey oktoberfest (super experimental)

We have added 1.5 lbs to the boil, and 1.5 lbs boiled in 1 gallon of water a couple days later.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    have an elderflower wine reaching the end of its ferment
    started an experimental ginger wine (hoping for something like Stones) today

ahh, brewing.
    bump.
    Quote Originally Posted by swiggidy View Post
    Have you noticed a difference since trying this? Something I had never heard of (yeah, you posted this a year ago, so what, wanna fight about it?)
    Bought 12lbs of honey a month ago at a farmer's market. Made a light honey that we kegged for a party and was a resounding success. Have a brown honey ready to bottle, and brewed two more batches today, one more light honey, and a honey oktoberfest (super experimental)

We have added 1.5 lbs to the boil, and 1.5 lbs boiled in 1 gallon of water a couple days later.
    And? Taste?
    And? Taste?
    You didn't answer my question...

The honey beers turned out ok, I realized I didn't care for the yeast we were using, but nothing wrong with the process. I find that non connoisseurs are more impressed with my honey beers (or my chocolate infused beers) than I am. On a side note, I have been accused of being a purest.

P.S. I am extract brewing, a lot, but the results have been very good.

P.S.S. Did a second batch of honey and I think adding it 10 min left to boil is sufficient (as opposed to a secondary addition).
    Last edited by swiggidy; 02-12-2013 at 01:22 AM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    The only non-purist beer I ever really enjoyed was a pumpkin ale from a micro-brewery near St Louis. That was 16 years ago.

P.S. P.S. means "post script" or "after the message"

P.P.S. P.P.S. means "post post script" or "after that other thing I just added".

I'm not sure what P.S.S. means.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    I'm not sure what P.S.S. means.
    Post super script. It puts the last line above and in smaller type than the previous line.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Quote Originally Posted by swiggidy View Post
    You didn't answer my question...
    I think I can tell a difference. I think most homebrew beers have a slightly off flavor, that I attribute to fermenting at too high a temperature. It doesn't mean they can't still taste good, but it is very noticeable to me. I haven't done a side-by-side test, but I might. Since I moved out, I don't have a huge space to brew, but I'd like get a few smaller (~3 gallon) carboys and do some smaller batches.

I could conceivable run the experiment to confirm, but I'm pretty convinced that it's there.
    Hmmm, I might try this eventually, but have a couple other brewing ideas I want to try first.

I got a subscription to BYO (brew your own) magazine last year, there has been a good amount of information about off flavors from oxygenation, and poor yeast growth, but I haven't noticed this (or don't know how to notice it).
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Yo...did you ever make the mead?
    Nope. I'm way off my homebrewing and never got the mead going.