Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Calling Range for BB?

Default Calling Range for BB?

Battle of the Blinds Question

What hands can i profitably call with in the BB versus an open-push from the small blind (preflop, random player, not the bubble) in a low stakes MTT with and without antes? Assuming we both have 10 big blinds.

Thanks for advice!
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    10%bb antes 9 handed

54.8%, 22+ Kx+ Q2s+ Q4o+ J3s+ J7o+ T6s+ T8o+ 97s+ 98o 87s

no ante

38.5%, 22+ Ax+ K2s+ K6o+ Q6s+ Q8o+ J8s+ J9o+ T9s

These are nash ranges and assume that villain is shoving unexploitably, 72% of his hands with antes and 57% without antes. Frequently in low stakes tourneys you'll see people shoving not nearly enough, sometimes you'll see them shoving 100%. If you want to exploit those players better you'll need to adjust your range accordingly.

http://www.holdemresources.net/h/web...s/nashicm.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    10%bb antes 9 handed

54.8%, 22+ Kx+ Q2s+ Q4o+ J3s+ J7o+ T6s+ T8o+ 97s+ 98o 87s

no ante

38.5%, 22+ Ax+ K2s+ K6o+ Q6s+ Q8o+ J8s+ J9o+ T9s

These are nash ranges and assume that villain is shoving unexploitably, 72% of his hands with antes and 57% without antes. Frequently in low stakes tourneys you'll see people shoving not nearly enough, sometimes you'll see them shoving 100%. If you want to exploit those players better you'll need to adjust your range accordingly.

http://www.holdemresources.net/h/web...s/nashicm.html
    I'd say exploitably shoving 100% is going to be fine in micro and small stakes mtts, as villain's don't call anywhere near enough. I'd be surprised if any of them are calling 20%, even with antes. I shove near 100% for instance against unknowns and I've never seen anybody calling even close to hands like J7o, Q4o, etc. Even against semi-competent players, I'd estimate they aren't calling off more than 30%-35%.

There's a book called something like "Kill Everyone" that's worth a read OP if you're interested in some further reading.
    Would have said depends, . . .
    but Renton's link is great for showing hands for all sorts of situations.
    The only other variable is type of opponent.