Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

[5NL] AJo IP in 3bet pot. Turn decision

Default [5NL] AJo IP in 3bet pot. Turn decision

Villain is 26/20/11 (3bet) through 84 hands. Cbets 57%, 4/7.

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $3.44
    SB: $17.44
    BB: $5.47
    UTG: $6.06
    MP: $11.45
    Hero (CO): $5.00

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has A J

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.15, fold, fold, BB raises to $0.45, Hero calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.92, 2 players) 8 7 J
    BB bets $0.66, Hero calls $0.66

Turn: ($2.24, 2 players) 3
    BB bets $1.61, Hero ???

Pre
    - 3bets me. I put him on TT+, AQs+, AQo+, maybe KQs?

Flop - Cbets the flop, fairly big cbet in a 3bet pot. I don't think this changes his range much and I doubt he 3bet me pre with 77/88. He could have AsQs+ and TT+. He could be firing with AQo+

Turn - Now he looks pretty strong. I doubt he does this with TT or AQo+, may have AsQs+, KsQs. I think I am crushed.

I was thinking about my flop call. Should I have raised here in case he was FD'ing or is it OK to call and see another card?
    Your decision has to come preflop. Your two options are:
    1) villain is 3betting me wide enough that calling AJ to a 3b is profitable and I'm happy to stack on a J high flop (always) and A high (some of the time) flop.
    or
    2) villain isn't 3betting me wide enough to stack off on a J high or A high flop, and we fold AJ pre.

Now that you've called pre, you have to go with this hand. The flop is pretty draw heavy, I would raise/call the flop.

As played, I would jam the turn.

Your preflop decision has to go hand in hand with how you perceive villain and your overall game plan. Villain is aggro, so you shouldn't be surprised if he doubles. Villain being aggro is the reason we think calling this hand is profitable in the first place. Folding now due to his aggressiveness is going against our plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    think i'd either 4b to $1.15 or fold pre. though it's close. i'd call AJs but i just don't think AJo flops well enough often enough against an aggressive player. plus we have risk of domination etc etc

i think i'd actually fold the turn in play tbh but definitely take griffey's advice over mine on that one.
    I don't think 3s changes much. I'm not too concerned about flushes in 3b pots. If anything, 3s adds a barreling range for hands like AQ/AK that have one spade.

If you would be fine jamming on a brick 3, I think you should be fine jamming on the 3s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks