Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 196 of 420 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296 ... LastLast
Results 14,626 to 14,700 of 31490
    ughhhhhhh that sucks sorry bikes. <3
    Free your mind and your ass will follow.
    That's terrible. I'm sorry man
    Who the fuck is going to listen to a female for 15 minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    Who the fuck is going to listen to a female for 15 minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Attention whore with a nose ring, who would have guessed she'd be doing some stupid shit for more attention

?wut
    Lawd Gawd.
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes View Post
    Excellent .gif exchange, keep up the good work, internet friends.
    I only watched the first 3 minutes but she seems to get it annoyingly wrong. Male disposability exists and it is indeed nothing new, but it's not what she's making it out to be. She's cherry-picking some examples which is easy to counter. Honor killing of raped women, which is still happening today in pakistan and such places. Sounds more like disposable women than men.

Disposable man theory comes from evolution and describes the phenomenon of how men have an inherent risk-taking psychology because taking risks with low chance of success can have an enormous sexual/genetic pay-off. That second part is why it is restricted to men, they can potentially impregnate endless women, while every woman can have at most one offspring every nine months.

We can imagine this behavior getting stuck in male psychology, so somewhere in the Y chromosome, through a few bottlenecks in history where a few men "gambled" and "won", through waging war, moving territory, acquiring resources/connections and all possible varations of taking risks with low chance of success but high potential pay-off. Think Ghengis Khan who gambled aging war and part of his DNA is still present in 30% of south-east asians today. So men are disposable in this sense because they have a willingness to gamble their lives and wellbeing with far inferior odds. Of course because we want to fuck as many women as possible.

Why did I even bother to respond to that..

?wut
    Quote Originally Posted by jackvance View Post
    I only watched the first 3 minutes but she seems to get it annoyingly wrong. Male disposability exists and it is indeed nothing new, but it's not what she's making it out to be. She's cherry-picking some examples which is easy to counter. Honor killing of raped women, which is still happening today in pakistan and such places. Sounds more like disposable women than men.

Disposable man theory comes from evolution and describes the phenomenon of how men have an inherent risk-taking psychology because taking risks with low chance of success can have an enormous sexual/genetic pay-off. That second part is why it is restricted to men, they can potentially impregnate endless women, while every woman can have at most one offspring every nine months.

We can imagine this behavior getting stuck in male psychology, so somewhere in the Y chromosome, through a few bottlenecks in history where a few men "gambled" and "won", through waging war, moving territory, acquiring resources/connections and all possible varations of taking risks with low chance of success but high potential pay-off. Think Ghengis Khan who gambled aging war and part of his DNA is still present in 30% of south-east asians today. So men are disposable in this sense because they have a willingness to gamble their lives and wellbeing with far inferior odds. Of course because we want to fuck as many women as possible.

Why did I even bother to respond to that..
    The disposable male exists today. You need to watch more than the first 3 minutes to get to that

We have deep cultural sensibilities and behaviors that expect males to sacrifice themselves or be sacrificed for females. Men are expected to be the risk-takers, to do so for the benefit of women, and not only to not complain about it, but accept it as their duty. In the video, she gives several examples

I think it's hard to see how deeply rooted male disposability is in our culture because not only do we believe it, we believe it is the way it's supposed to be. We think men are supposed to be Josey Wales, who always protects, always sacrifices, never complains, and never considers otherwise. His manhood is identified by this in the eyes of both men and women.

Look at it this way: the #1 problem for the US with regards to the military is how many men have died and are dying. Yet the military hot topics, unless there are an incredible amount of men dying, are womens issues, like rape or equal status. These are good things to address, but my point is that the focus is on women and their problems. The disposable male is forgotten. By everybody.

An emergent property of the disposable male is that men tend to appear like they have it great and women tend to appear like they have it bad. This is because it is assumed that the right place for men is to sacrifice and the right place for women is to be protected and/or benefit from sacrifice. So when this dynamic begins to falter, it looks like women are losing out and it is expected that men set it right. This is the foundation behind virtually all examples you can find, from custody rights to dating to employment types

I have no opinion on gender issues in Afghanistan
    Last edited by wufwugy; 07-28-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    Last edited by surviva316; 07-28-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    lol. It's true. marmite IS less popular than hitler once was.
    The disposable male exists today. You need to watch more than the first 3 minutes to get to that

We have deep cultural sensibilities and behaviors that expect males to sacrifice themselves or be sacrificed for females. Men are expected to be the risk-takers, to do so for the benefit of women, and not only to not complain about it, but accept it as their duty. In the video, she gives several examples

I think it's hard to see how deeply rooted male disposability is in our culture because not only do we believe it, we believe it is the way it's supposed to be. We think men are supposed to be Josey Wales, who always protects, always sacrifices, never complains, and never considers otherwise. His manhood is identified by this in the eyes of both men and women.

Look at it this way: the #1 problem for the US with regards to the military is how many men have died and are dying. Yet the military hot topics, unless there are an incredible amount of men dying, are womens issues, like rape or equal status. These are good things to address, but my point is that the focus is on women and their problems. The disposable male is forgotten. By everybody.

An emergent property of the disposable male is that men tend to appear like they have it great and women tend to appear like they have it bad. This is because it is assumed that the right place for men is to sacrifice and the right place for women is to be protected and/or benefit from sacrifice. So when this dynamic begins to falter, it looks like women are losing out and it is expected that men set it right. This is the foundation behind virtually all examples you can find, from custody rights to dating to employment types

I have no opinion on gender issues in Afghanistan
    Well it's quite important to not just cherrypick the examples that fit our narrative. These are only examples within recent western culture. In India it's forbidden to make scans of the fetus to find out the gender because females are often aborted. In China the gender balance has shifted to something like 60/40 in favor of males because a lot of people kill their female offspring (or put them in the forest to die). That sounds like female disposability suddenly.

So what is going on? The only way to find the truth imo is take the evolutionary psychology route. While it is a correct observation to say that men are expected to be self-reliant, confident, protective, don't complain, always knowing what to do.. to what degree do we only expect this because it is how men behave?
    I would be fine with discarding her points about how the disposable male is embedded in human biology. I think it's the usual example, but isn't concrete or determinative, and we can find examples that look to be the opposite. AFAIK psychologists consider evolutionary explanations the red-headed stepchild of explanations. I don't mean to discuss this as it relates to any culture, but to our cultures specifically

Even if it's accurate, the evolutionary link is weak. The strong link is a cultural one, like where we send men to war and prepare boys to be the kinds of men who would die in war. I think most examples of this are subtle and mundane. For example, you can't ask a woman how much she weighs. Why? Because it'll upset her. Whereas, you can ask a man how much he weighs. But what if he gets upset? Who cares? Fuck him for being such a wuss. He needs to buck up and act like there's nothing upsetting about it

Small, mundane things like this prepare men for roles related to disposability. Boys are prepared for the day they go to boot camp and the sergeant screams at them. Girls are not. Girls are taught that their feelings are important and that it's wrong when people hurt them. Boys are taught that if they're hurt, they need to take it like a man (and maybe get revenge)
    Last edited by wufwugy; 07-29-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    When at a bday party a 4 yr old boy hit my 4 yr old daughter on the head with a balloon I told her to hit him back. Other parents frowned at me and tutted.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    When at a bday party a 4 yr old boy hit my 4 yr old daughter on the head with a balloon I told her to hit him back. Other parents frowned at me and tutted.
    ... Rong, I approve of your actions. I would have probably been all, "Wtf, your kid hits mine but mine can't defend herself?! Tutt my fuckin' cock, ya' cunts."
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    ... Rong, I approve of your actions. I would have probably been all, "Wtf, your kid hits mine but mine can't defend herself?! Tutt my fuckin' cock, ya' cunts."
    Do you realise how old 4 actually is? I'm all for hitting people back when threatened but if someone hits you the answer isn't automatically to hit them back.

It's also obviously a stupid thing to teach children to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Do you realise how old 4 actually is? I'm all for hitting people back when threatened but if someone hits you the answer isn't automatically to hit them back.

It's also obviously a stupid thing to teach children to do.
    We're talking about booping another kid on the head with a balloon. Where yes, you have a point that teaching kids to hit other kids is a no bueno thing - it's also no bueno to not tell your kid to stand up for her/him self.
    fucking rain.

?wut
    Quote Originally Posted by jackvance View Post
    Well it's quite important to not just cherrypick the examples that fit our narrative. These are only examples within recent western culture. In India it's forbidden to make scans of the fetus to find out the gender because females are often aborted. In China the gender balance has shifted to something like 60/40 in favor of males because a lot of people kill their female offspring (or put them in the forest to die). That sounds like female disposability suddenly.

So what is going on? The only way to find the truth imo is take the evolutionary psychology route. While it is a correct observation to say that men are expected to be self-reliant, confident, protective, don't complain, always knowing what to do.. to what degree do we only expect this because it is how men behave?
    I would be fine with discarding her points about how the disposable male is embedded in human biology. I think it's the usual example, but isn't concrete or determinative, and we can find examples that look to be the opposite. AFAIK psychologists consider evolutionary explanations the red-headed stepchild of explanations. I don't mean to discuss this as it relates to any culture, but to our cultures specifically

Even if it's accurate, the evolutionary link is weak. The strong link is a cultural one, like where we send men to war and prepare boys to be the kinds of men who would die in war. I think most examples of this are subtle and mundane. For example, you can't ask a woman how much she weighs. Why? Because it'll upset her. Whereas, you can ask a man how much he weighs. But what if he gets upset? Who cares? Fuck him for being such a wuss. He needs to buck up and act like there's nothing upsetting about it

Small, mundane things like this prepare men for roles related to disposability. Boys are prepared for the day they go to boot camp and the sergeant screams at them. Girls are not. Girls are taught that their feelings are important and that it's wrong when people hurt them. Boys are taught that if they're hurt, they need to take it like a man (and maybe get revenge)

I haven't read enough on the topic or thought about it enough to have an opinion, but this is an interesting topic. It's sad that this "Men's Rights" nonsense that's trending makes any mention of comprehensive gender equality a non-starter with many people.

One thing that did jump out at me after skimming this exchange is that virtues prescribed to the male are indeed often related to sacrifice: valor, honor, duty, bravery, etc. But then again, as a social species, it makes some sense that when push comes to shove, men should be the disposable ones, as this potentially gives the greatest chance of a man's genes or genes similar to that man's living on.
    running and lifting heavy things is teh lame. also dieting blows as well.

?wut
    Then save yourself the effort and don't bother. You won't possibly succeed with that attitude. It's hard enough to stay committed to any of those even if you enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    Why would you go running if you hate running? Play a sport instead.

Go swimming, ride a bike (these are also both boring but > running)

Full video:

Keep it up
    Having a hard time deciding which is the all time worst meme: dickbutt or woll smoth
    Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post

Full video:

Awesome video

This dude won't live to be 30 though
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA

new birdman trailer

?wut

new birdman trailer
    I haven't been this hyped for anything since the finale of Breaking Bad.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos View Post
    Then save yourself the effort and don't bother. You won't possibly succeed with that attitude. It's hard enough to stay committed to any of those even if you enjoy them.
    Enjoyment from lifting heavy weights doesn't come immediately. It comes after months, when you experience a track record of overcoming previous peaks and you notice improvements in physique and ability to perform daily activities. There's something about building muscle that is simply different than other kinds of exercise. It's tough to explain. When we think of fitness enthusiasts and amateur bodybuilders, we think of narcissists. We think they're narcissists who work out because they're narcissists, but I think it's the opposite. I think the narcissistic appearances are a product of how somebody feels and views themselves when they have a track record of positive physical changes

Personally, when I lift regularly, I am more deliberate in mundane activities. This could be because lifting is about fully focusing on overcoming a mass with force. Everything we do is kinda like that, and I think the mentality translates. About appearances, muscles look really nice, and when you know that muscle development you have is a product of the lifting process, your mind and body naturally wants to do more of it. When I'm in the zone for months, I'll even dream about lifting, because I want to make more progress, make more improvements. When you make improvements in the gym, you can see it in your body. You don't magically get stronger without getting buffer

I think the popular "no pain no gain" perception of exercise is wrong. When it comes to lifting, if you are adequately inducing a pump and providing enough rest between workouts, you will have a little bit of a craving to get back into it. The craving does completely dissipate if you're overtraining, though
    Nothing feels better than having to lift something to move around your house or whatever and finding it considerably easier than you did before.
    Nothing feels better than having to lift something to move around your house or whatever and finding it considerably easier than you did before.
    What about eating cake.

Yeah, pretty sure cake wins.
    Not even close.
    Not even close.
    Chocolate brownies and ice cream. mmmmmmmmm. Fuck abs!
    Mmmmm, that post got me thinking about chocolate. Eating a galaxy caramel right now.

Last edited by Savy; 07-31-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    lol
    I got 5 upvotes for a 4-paragraph post in /r/philosophy; the conversion rate for that has to be worth at least one 500-point movie reference in /r/funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by surviva316 View Post
    I got 5 upvotes for a 4-paragraph post in /r/philosophy; the conversion rate for that has to be worth at least one 500-point movie reference in /r/funny.
    Problem with that conversion is that multiplying anything by zero is still zero.
    Problem with that conversion is that multiplying anything by zero is still zero.
    The one that starts the thread is usually like, "Oh, ha, yeah that works", and then it devolves until people are almost literally just saying, "Then Cameron Diaz walks in and says, 'Hi gais.'"
    It's also very reddit-hot atm to use airplane-references.. and don't call me Shirley.
    [10:13] <@spoonitnow> you know, my chick is like this city girl type
    [10:13] <@spoonitnow> and i'm a redneck like a motherfucker
    [10:13] <@spoonitnow> well we grew up primarily in two adjacent counties that are separated by a river
    [10:13] <@spoonitnow> on her side of the river is winston-salem, like 4th biggest city in the state i think
    [10:14] <Miffed> you dating a canadian?
    [10:14] <Miffed> or a mexican?
    [10:14] <Miffed> ...
    [10:14] <Miffed>
    [10:14] <@spoonitnow> on my side of the river is basically nothing but fucking corn fields and redneck hick shit like junkyards and gas stations
    [10:16] <@spoonitnow> so three funny events happened inside of the first 2 weeks we started seeing each other
    [10:16] <Miffed> oh biy
    [10:16] <@spoonitnow> on the day i first met her, my third cousin shot his wife in the neck and shot himself in the head, killing neither of them
    [10:16] <Miffed> this shoudl be good
    [10:16] <Miffed>
    [10:16] <@spoonitnow> i mean 0/2 on two headshots is pretty bad
    [10:17] <Miffed> did he miss?
    [10:17] <@spoonitnow> ok next up, there's this gas station near my parents, and two guys got in an argument over a gas pump, or i guess petrol you call it over there
    [10:17] <@spoonitnow> nah i mean he didn't miss
    [10:17] <@spoonitnow> just unlucky (or lucky depending on how you look at it)
    [10:17] <@spoonitnow> anyway so these two guys are arguing
    [10:17] <Miffed> wow
    [10:17] <@spoonitnow> one of them takes a 1 inch metal pipe from the back of his truck and hit the other guy in the head with it
    [10:18] <@spoonitnow> split his head open really bad, and the guy hit him a few more times, ended up killing the guy
    [10:18] <@spoonitnow> guy tried crawling in the store but the other guy was on him, blood all over the white tile floor and all of that
    [10:18] <@spoonitnow> now for the grand finale
    [10:18] <@spoonitnow> there are some corn fields across the road from where i went to high school
    [10:19] <@spoonitnow> there was a hooker from her side of the river who was found in that corn field dead and on fire
    [10:19] <Miffed> qtf
    [10:19] <Miffed> wtf*
    [10:19] <Miffed> oops
    [10:19] <@spoonitnow> all of this happened within like 4-5 miles of each other
    [10:19] <@spoonitnow> lol ikr
    [10:19] <@spoonitnow> like worst timing ever
    [10:20] <@spoonitnow> she was like wtf is wrong with you people
    [10:20] <@spoonitnow> so there's your storytime with spoon segment
    [10:21] <Miffed> lol

More Storytime with Spoon
    i feel like cutting out 6-7k calories a week in alcohol and pop is probably gonna do wonders after a few weeks combined with attempts to run and lift heavy things

?wut
    Yeah, stop drinking soda. I have probably two a month at this point. What helped me the most was to actually internalize the fact that you're literally drinking a can of syrup. The only reason it is palatable is because of how cold it is-- but even so when you truly accept what it really is, you stop thinking of it as refreshing, and when you're thirsty the idea of a cold can of syrup actually sounds kind of repulsive.

Just be sure to not replace it with Orange Juice or something that isn't technically soda, and may have more nutrients, but is equally or nearly as bad in terms of sugar content. Water and unsweetened tea and coffee are your friends.
    Yeah holmes that's two pounds a week

Most people can lose a lot of weight by just not binging and/or not eating so much utter junk. Do this while also focusing on eating whole foods (which will drop your calories by another 10-20%), and you're set

Drink black coffee. Shit is all kinds of good for you. Good for your liver, brain, cancer, lots of shit
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    Since I've been living in asia I've really started to love green tea. I think black tea really needs to be sweetened to be palatable because it is kind of bitter. Green tea doesn't have that problem and tastes totally fine brewed and poured on ice. I'm not really on board with all the purported health benefits of green tea, but it certainly tastes good and has no calories so I'd imagine its a hell of a lot better than anything that comes in a bottle or can.
    storytime with spoon never loses its comedy

think i am still lol'ing now

Also I am clearly not cool enough to hang out in this thread so I am leaving now; it is tea time
    Last edited by Miffed22001; 08-02-2014 at 07:14 AM. Reason: I cant type - senior moment!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffed22001 View Post
    storytime with spoon never loses its comedy

think i am still lol'ing now

Also I am clearly not cool enough to hang out in this thread so I am leaving now; it is tea time

seems like someone is a little.....

miffed.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

?wut
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    Since I've been living in asia I've really started to love green tea. I think black tea really needs to be sweetened to be palatable because it is kind of bitter. Green tea doesn't have that problem and tastes totally fine brewed and poured on ice. I'm not really on board with all the purported health benefits of green tea, but it certainly tastes good and has no calories so I'd imagine its a hell of a lot better than anything that comes in a bottle or can.
    Well supposedly all the 'antioxidants' that are always mentioned alongside green tea are found in higher concentrations in coffee and black tea anyway. I find green tea easier on my stomach than both, and even a little good for it when I've abused the ol' gut with grease and booze.
    Well supposedly all the 'antioxidants' that are always mentioned alongside green tea are found in higher concentrations in coffee and black tea anyway. I find green tea easier on my stomach than both, and even a little good for it when I've abused the ol' gut with grease and booze.
    Don't knock antioxidants. Oxidative stress clogs your heart and makes you dumb.
    i feel like cutting out 6-7k calories a week in alcohol and pop is probably gonna do wonders after a few weeks combined with attempts to run and lift heavy things
    Your appetite is going to skyrocket. Try some meth to cut down on those cravings.
    Health benefits of green tea: pretty much bleh. I did some digging a couple months back and found that none of the studies have proper enough controls to make the claim that there are any health benefits. With things like antioxidant consumption, we straight up still do not know if there is any benefit whatsoever to that. We know antioxidants do some neat things in vitro, but we don't know what they do, if anything, in vivo
    seems like someone is a little.....

miffed.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
    I am impressed with you skillz sir!
    Anyway now that the abortion thread has taken over for the past few days, let's move on past the genocide of babies and get back onto the genocide of the buttholes of teenage girls.
    Anyway now that the abortion thread has taken over for the past few days, let's move on past the genocide of babies and get back onto the genocide of the buttholes of teenage girls.
    Which are you proposing we kill off, the brown ones or the white ones?
    Which are you proposing we kill off, the brown ones or the white ones?
    [12:05] <@spoonitnow> back in like 2003 i was at the world open in philly, PA
    [12:06] <@spoonitnow> there was a denny's right across from the adam's mark hotel where the event was held
    [12:06] <@spoonitnow> one morning this group of guys kind of walk overthere before the morning round like half awake since we were all up until like 3 am
    [12:06] <@spoonitnow> so we eat w/e
    [12:06] <@spoonitnow> and i'm going to pay, and when i open my wallet there was a picture of my gf at the time
    [12:06] <@spoonitnow> white girl, i mean a blonde hair/blue-eyed apple-pie eating white girl
    [12:07] <@spoonitnow> well you have to understand that me and these three guys are like the only white guys in the building
    [12:07] <@spoonitnow> well this one guy patrick who i didn't know that well is like hey is that your girlfriend
    [12:07] <@spoonitnow> i'm like yeah
    [12:07] <@spoonitnow> he's like IS HER NAME ROSA PARKS
    [12:07] <@spoonitnow> YOUR GIRLFRIEND IS ROSA PARKS?
    [12:08] <@spoonitnow> for our foreign friends, rosa parks was an importantblack civil rights figure who refused to give up her seat on the bus to some white ppl and caused a ruckus
    [12:09] <@spoonitnow> ever have like 24 people all turn and look at you like what the fuck we're going to kick this white boy's ass
    [12:09] <@spoonitnow> well i have
    [12:05]
    [12:09] <@spoonitnow> ever have like 24 people all turn and look at you like what the fuck we're going to kick this white boy's ass
    [12:09] <@spoonitnow> well i have
    I meant brown or white buttholes, you race mongering dusseldorf.
    Love this. Forget if I posted it when I first saw it

I meant brown or white buttholes, you race mongering dusseldorf.
    Both as long as they're clean

Also that story was true
    off to work a 12.

you all enjoy this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comment...tory_possible/

?wut
    I'd say about 99% of the stories in that subreddit can be cross-posted to /r/thatHappened.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    robin williams is dead =(

suicide they says =(

?wut
    wtf

dude was legit. one of the few legits
    hey fuck whoopi goldberg

?wut

from 172 to 161!

WOOHOOH!

?wut
    damn son. how tall are you
    5'11

?wut

Mike Jones makes an appearance in the last 20 seconds or so.
    I don't see what the problem is. Dude doesn't like the nagger in the White House