Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

***Official TV sitcoms and Series recommendation thread***

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,425 of 1689
    Fargo is absolutely fantastic.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802850/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Banshee.

Agree with this, if anyone hasn't seen it but likes graphic sex and violence then it's worth watching
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    holy fuck hannibal
    ^^ definitely gonna start watching that. just hope it doesn't freak me out too much. im easy to scare. even true detective cut it close
    Been watching Roseanne which is a bit before my time and it's pretty awesome. Exactly what I want when I just want to kill 30minutes of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Originally Posted by ImSavy Banshee.

Agree with this, if anyone hasn't seen it but likes graphic sex and violence then it's worth watching
    Which one?
    http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Ban...&ref_=nv_sr_sm

Ah memories of my Voodoo Banshee graphics card.
    edit: more memories, Siouxsie Sioux
    Last edited by chemist; 05-25-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    If you're not watching Fargo, you're doing it wrong.
    I may end up picking s1 Fargo for all time greatest season. Currently, the list is

#1 Breaking Bad s4
    #2 Game of Thrones s1
    #3 True Detective s1
    #4 Boardwalk Empire s3
    Fargo beats true detective i think. I can literally think of no flaws to this show. I'm reluctant to compare this to non anthological shows since it gets to show off all its tricks in 10 episodes instead of a slower burn like a typical drama series.
    Two episodes into Broad City and I'm an instant fan. Generally try to save my shows for when I'm cooking, but I might just binge watch this til I fall asleep tonight.
    Marathoned Homeland Season 1 over the weekend. stupidly good. Claire Danes could carry the whole show on her back if it wasn't for everyone else being absolutely amazing as well.
    Anyone think Homeland S4 is worth watching still? I wasn't that into S3 and am having a hard time getting myself to watch the new stuff
    It's getting a lot of hate but I don't feel like it's wasting my time. Latest episode was pretty eventful.
    I've been watching phoneshop on netflix this week and very much enjoying it, dunno how well the humour would translate outside of the UK though
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    Spoiler:
    I just started season 3 now and it starts dragging. I don't think it was necessary to continue the storyline of Brodie. Carry is becoming a needy bitch and I really do not care for the relationship between beardie and that passive aggressive bitch. I'll give it a chance tho given how good the first two seasons were.
    American Horror Story doesn't fuck around.
    I hopped right into Season 3 because of Gabourey Sidibe. I thought it was Sabrina with an edge but it's a lot more uncomfortable than that.
    I'm most of the way through season 3 of mad men. I hope the series doesn't let me down.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    I'm most of the way through season 3 of mad men. I hope the series doesn't let me down.
    why do you say that? why do you think this in the context of mad men?
    High expectations, once bitten twice shy.
    about what? when? why?

im asking for specifics, because mad men could be anything from one of your favorites to your dexter, all depending on specifics

it's a fantastic show. will everybody like it? no. but it's a fantastic show
    It saddens me, but I'm far more Roger sterling than Don draper.
    how does that sadden you? roger is the fucking best
    lol seriously, trap me in a room with Sterling over Draper any day

Last edited by aubreymcfate; 12-14-2014 at 11:45 PM.
    Free your mind and your ass will follow.
    I guess I'd rather be the dark, brooding, mysterious, creative type, who women flock to and men follow, than a handsome drunk with a sharp turn of phrase.
    But hey, be grateful for what you got I guess.
    I'm liking the change of direction in season 4. I was scared it was gonna get stale with everything always working out just dandy for Draper.
    I guess I'd rather be the dark, brooding, mysterious, creative type, who women flock to and men follow, than a handsome drunk with a sharp turn of phrase.
    how very un-british of you
    Draper is the ideal upper class man. Every man wants to be him and every woman wants to be with him. Yet the show is about the folly and fakeness of this ideal. He's empty and he hurts people he professes to love. He is not a real person, he is a set of attributes that we wish we had. When we love him we're shown his douchebaggery, but when we hate him we're shown his thoughtfulness.

Frankly I think the strength of the show is in everything not Don Draper. He's a caricature. Maybe everybody likes him because people see what is presented. Draper shows us that he's suave and stalwart, yet at his core he's just a selfish, vapid child
    I think Don Draper is major strength of the show precisely because of the effect of his character that you just described.
    yabut i hate him. obv bcoz everybody loves him
    Black Mirror

UK show. Fucking brilliant. It's a Twilight Zone-esque show that satirizes different aspects of our obsession with technology and social media. The first episode is one of the best episodes of anything I've ever seen. The premise is absolutely diabolical.

And it's on Netflix.
    Is that the pig thing?
    yep
    Is that the pig thing?
    I had a mates gf who I'd never met before go mad at me whilst watching that because I said I wouldn't fuck a pig on film to save a random persons life, anyone in the royal family or her.

It's also a pretty meh show. Charlie Brooker is/was brilliant though.
    Last edited by Savy; 01-13-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    You're a meh show >:0
    I also watched that episode super stoned hence the horrifying degree of empathy I retained throughout.
    I also think the moral ambiguity of the characters in the show is really well done... Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't seen the first ep but is interested...

re: ImSavy saying he wouldn't do it to save anyone, the prime minister in the episode doesn't really do it for that reason either. He pretty much has the same reaction in the very beginning of the episode, which I found to be very darkly humorous. He's relieved when one of his aids tell him that he won't have any blood on his hands because of the public's sympathy for his position. Once that changes though, he has to do it, otherwise his position and the safety of himself and his family will be in danger. I thought the writing for that episode was so spot-on psychologically, really well-nuanced. He isn't portrayed as a callous jerk, nor an unrealistic Good Samaritan in the face of such an insane proposal.

I also liked the scene when he attacks that woman because that also felt incredibly realistic. It didn't feel like a scene of omg man-on-woman violence, it just felt like a genuine violent outburst from someone who is experiencing an unimaginable degree of emotional and mental stress. It's not problematic because it rings true, it feels natural. I feel like American TV would forsake that authenticity to avoid controversy, but there shouldn't be any controversy if the thing is simply done right.
    The Black Mirror Christmas special is a master piece. Maybe I was in the perfect mood to have my mind blown, but man was my mind blown.
    Amazon is producing The Man in the High Castle! I'm so hyped!
    This is the first time I have actually read the book first before something gets produced. For those who don't know: The Man in the High Castle is the book with the best book cover ever:

Here are some teasers I won't watch because I don't want spoilers:

http://io9.com/first-footage-from-ph...stl-1679806492
    whaaaat I have not seen that cover. I have the old school 90s cover http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1385189684l/216363.jpg which i like, but that one is pretty blunt lol, i love it.

yay!

This is almost as exciting as AMC doing Preacher
    wtf amc is doing preacher? is it gonna be bb good or twd terribad?
    better be good.

seth rogen and evan goldberg are involved. i have enough faith.
    ya but seth rogan has gone nowhere but down since they canceled freaks and geeks

ya but nobody knows who jonah goldberg is. i hear he's a comedy writer or whatever who hasnt written any funny comedies
    oh wait you said evan goldberg. still no idea
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ya but seth rogan has gone nowhere but down since they canceled freaks and geeks

ya but nobody knows who jonah goldberg is. i hear he's a comedy writer or whatever who hasnt written any funny comedies
    I didn't know who that Goldberg chap was but after googling (the correct name) this post is pretty spot on.
    lol wait evan goldberg is the guy i thought jonah goldberg was

but yes, his comedies were not comedies. we've been stuck in this nutlow era of crappy comedies, and apparently he's been a big part of it
    So I've finally got into Deadwood. Show is pretty great. I'm at the start of s01. Garret Dillahunt is a boss.
    wtf nate was in deadwood? i dont remember that. all i remember is tim olyphant displaying the worst acting ever
    wtf nate was in deadwood? i dont remember that. all i remember is tim olyphant displaying the worst acting ever
    I love Olyphant in this role. There's something awesome about the super straight edged stiff and borderline boring protagonist who has far more interesting and colorful characters buzzing around, bumping into him, and crossing paths with each other.

Also, who is nate?
    nate is six feet under.

also david is six feet under, not dexter

perhaps olyphant will wear on you since in deadwood, he has six different facial expression: angry, angry, angry, angry, mad, and angry. you could tell him he won the lottery and his daughter married jesus, and he'd still have for you one of those six expressions
    nate is six feet under.

also david is six feet under, not dexter

perhaps olyphant will wear on you since in deadwood, he has six different facial expression: angry, angry, angry, angry, mad, and angry. you could tell him he won the lottery and his daughter married jesus, and he'd still have for you one of those six expressions
    Dude, what has happened to you? You're such a hater.
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    Dude, what has happened to you? You're such a hater.
    dude ive always been a hater. it's in my dna

olyphant's acting in deadwood is more hilarious than anything. just wait until he's in scenes where he's supposed to be mad. he looks like he's about to explode
    Up to date on mad men, how depressing.

I've done all the widely known great shows, back to back. It's possible that was a mistake.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1661820/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_9

can't find movie recommendation thread, so this goes here now.
    What happened to this? Premiered august last year, still no distribution. Bruce Dern, John Malcowitch, Billy Bob Thornton. y u no release?
    Last edited by oskar; 01-19-2015 at 03:46 PM.
    there are probably a few you havent. what have you done?
    Sopranos
    wire
    bb
    true detective
    Fargo
    Hannibal
    supernatural
    Fringe
    Dexter (missed final season)

Can't remember any more.

Tried got by couldn't get into it.

I don't like shows that are unrealistic in the sense of people not remotely acting how they might unless it's entertaining I'm other ways, so maybe supernatural and fringe weren't exactly accurate depictions of the human condition, but they were both fun and entertaining. Twd fails because not only is it stupidly unrealistic, it's not even fun, the characters are annoying and they ruined something that could have been beautiful.
    It also needs to be fun or cool. So mad men, sopranos, wire - cool.

Supernatural, Dexter - fun.

Six feet under : great but neither fun nor cool so I wouldn't wanna watch it.
    house of cards that shit mofo

freaks and geeks

rome. carnivale. words cant describe how wrong it is that you dont like got or firefly. those four mentioned are awesome though
    Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy and Entourage.

Ya freaks and geeks is awesome as is firefly but very dissapointing that they are gone one season in
    shit forgot about boardwalk empire. an all time great. sons of anarchy gets ridiculous but it was fun

probably forget carnivale actually. it's amazing but all it takes is one tiny splinter up the butt for somebody to not like it. all two glorious seasons of rome are stellar tho
    Can't remember if I've already said but Sons Of Anarchy was so disappointing. Ending was terrible.
    well it fell off halfway through

but they did up the bro-hugs tenfold
    Ya they did miss on the ending but most shows I know of ruin an ending. It was a little hard to watch at times (Ireland episodes) but I did like the shows ability to kill off main characters and push the envelope a little.
    Wasn't a fan of entourage or sons of anarchy. Loved hoc.

Don't want anything with only one season unless it is was designed for that like true detective or Fargo.

I've only wwatched the first episode of both got and boardwalk empire.

Maybe u should try one of them again. I dint even know what boardwalk empire is about.
    I don't think you can judge any show by a first season or a few shows. I have never followed a show until it is a few seasons in. GOT is still sitting on my laptop (seasons 1-4) I didn't pick up SOA, BB or BE until a few seasons in.
    Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories are every bit as glorious as I expected them to be.
    anyone watch Togetherness? it's a new show on HBO. i only saw first ep. thought some of the dialogue was pretty great but overall it was meh, and i also disliked how the show seemed to support the absolute lunacy of Amanda Peet's character.
    GoT:

(Caveat I'm only on s01e05) It's so predictable! I feel like me emotions are so deliberately being manipulated in terms of who I like and dislike that I find myself getting angry.

Admittedly I'm enjoying it more as my interests get vested (poor use of English?) but I hate being so blatantly manipulated.

It's like, these guys are good and these guys are bad, watch the bad guys do bad things to the good, now watch wile we make a god person put another good person in a difficult position because they thought they were bad.

Jarmean?
    The only response you'll ever hear til you're through season 3:

Oh my sweet summer child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvObuhT7Kpw

edit fegballs video playback disabled
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    the only important thing is that you're watchig got
    GoT:

It's like, these guys are good and these guys are bad, watch the bad guys do bad things to the good, now watch wile we make a god person put another good person in a difficult position because they thought they were bad.

Jarmean?
    interesting you say that because one of the most universal comments about the show is its moral ambiguity of the characters, and how it sharply differs from fantasy like LoT because there aren't clearly delineated "good guys" and "bad guys." there's really no analog to sauron and frodo, everyone kinda gets into murky moral territory (some more than others, of course) as the different stories develop.

i also think the acting is really fantastic in this regard. from what i hear cersei is more of a 2-D bitch in the books, but Lena Headey's acting is so nuanced that she is one of my favorite characters, even though she can be heinous.. she seems to have such a rich inner life. her "evil" isn't simplistic (like someone else's, which is ok - it's believable that at least one person would suck that much, esp in that position of power). what drives her isn't sociopathic or impossible to relate to.
    Last edited by aubreymcfate; 01-24-2015 at 01:55 AM.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheWire/com...s_in_season_5/

I had an epiphany in the shower about the wire and decided to make my first reddit post ever. Shit is exploding.
    i need to rewatch wire
    The penultimate episode of season 1 was depressing. I'm hoping for an uplifting finale but I fear it won't come.