Quote Originally Posted by kmind
    Anything > baseball
    False, see WNBA

Tribe in 6 (+145)

Whoever wins this series wins the whole thing easy
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    I think that the Tribe will hold their own with their decent pitching and the fact that they can put the bat on the ball. I am rooting for the Indians but I think that the Sox have the edge. But I felt that way for the Yanks as well. So who knows. Big year for Ohio even though we were bridesmaids in everything we played so far.
    Touche, swiggidy, touche.
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBobAA
    Go Tribe, AL Central > AL East
    LOL

Sox winning world series and pats winning super bowl will be marvelous.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    My prediction is Heads 4, Tails 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcatdog
    My prediction is Heads 4, Tails 2.
    so true
    Quote Originally Posted by swiggidy
    Quote Originally Posted by kmind
    Anything > baseball
    False, see WNBA

Tribe in 6 (+145)

Whoever wins this series wins the whole thing easy
    no way, AL is clearly much better than the NL and winner of this will be the favorites, but there is still huge variance in baseball
    In many ways the baseball playoffs are awful. You play 162 games to determine who the best 8 teams are, then throw them into this huge crapshoot to see who gets to be champion. That's what makes the baseball playoffs so exciting though.
    In many ways the baseball playoffs are awful. You play 162 games to determine who the best 8 teams are, then throw them into this huge crapshoot to see who gets to be champion. That's what makes the baseball playoffs so exciting though.
    haha, nice.
    Everyone hates on the BCS, but the best team wins the college football championship a higher percentage of the time than in any other sport, except for maybe the NBA. The teams that complain about getting shafted by the BCS are usually the same teams that schedule out-of-conference games against the cooking school that Boost goes to. I have no sympathy for them.

I think the point of a championship is that the best team should win, not the winner of a turbo donkament like the baseball playoffs. It's arguable that the best team hasn't won the World Series in ten years.
    eh, anyways, a good friend of mine played some 1/2 NL at Foxwoods last night , with Johnathan Pappelbon..he even won $200 from him. AND my friend is an Indians fan!
    3 3 3 I'm only half evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhappy333
    eh, anyways, a good friend of mine played some 1/2 NL at Foxwoods last night , with Johnathan Pappelbon..he even won $200 from him. AND my friend is an Indians fan!
    Even though he makes the league minimum (I think) wouldn't he be playing higher stakes? I guess Papelbon is good at BR management.
    TylerK: its just gambling if i want to worry about money i'll go to work lol
    papelbon is a stud
    LOL OPERATIONS
    even Bill Gates slums it at the 2/4NL tables at Foxwoods
    Another stupid thing about the baseball playoffs is how there are all these breaks between games. In the regular season you need 5 starting pitchers for your rotation but during the playoffs you can get by on 3. They just remove a huge element of baseball during the playoffs wtf.
    Putney, UK; Full Tilt,Mansion; $50 NL and PL; $13 and $16 SNGs at Stars
    Yeah, how dare they only play (up to) 173 games in 6 months? Workshy slackers!
    It has nothing to do w/ the number of games they play, it has everything to do with being able to have your 3 best pitchers pitch every game in the playoffs where as in the regular season you can't do that.

Besides you're from England you're not allowed to talk about baseball.
    Let's get a lifetime supply of cheese to go with that lifetime supply of whine, eh bob?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    wtf, iwork 5days a week, 12 months no one cries for me,wtf
    I can cry for u if u want!
    LOL OPERATIONS
    is Armageddon coming?

Red Sox = World Series Champs
    Patriots = Super Bowl Champs
    Celtics = NBA Champs

?

Bob, it's the same for all the teams, so why isn't it a plus to be able to see only the best players?
    First of all, let me say that I love the baseball playoffs. They are the 3rd most exciting to watch behind NCAA Basketball and the NFL. It's just they are not a great format for determining the best team for this particular sport.

Quote Originally Posted by biondino
    Bob, it's the same for all the teams, so why isn't it a plus to be able to see only the best players?
    Because it's changes the game from the regular season to the playoffs. It's like letting teams use a 7 man lineup and letting their two worst hitters not have to bat. Even if it is the same for every team, it's a different game than in the regular season.

There are a lot of weird things about baseball, they are the only sport that doesn't have a standardized field (besides the infield). The whole DH for the American league vs no DH for the National League. The two divisions that have one less team in them give a huge advantage to those teams in those divisions to make the playoffs.

With that being said there's really no practical way to change the baseball playoffs, nor do I think Bud Selig should change them. Like I said, I love watching them and they are the 3rd most exciting playoffs to watch in sports. It's just that they are bad format for this sport for determining who the best team is.
    The best way would presumably be not to have any playoffs at all - the team with the most wins over 162 games is the winner. But US sport can't a\llow such things, can it?

baseball... the only sport that doesn't have a standardized field (besides the infield)
    Not true - association football (soccer) has rules that specify the range of dimensions the pitch has to be, but the actual size is entirely up to the home team - e.g., a skilful team that uses tight passing and the centre of the pitch may choose to play with a much narrower pitch, whereas teams which rely on attacking wing players will have the pitch as wide as possible.
    The best way would presumably be not to have any playoffs at all - the team with the most wins over 162 games is the winner. But US sport can't a\llow such things, can it?
    Conceivably, getting rid of the playoffs is technically possible but it would never ever happen. They playoffs bring in so much revenue that the commissioner would never get rid of them, nor should he since they are by far the most exciting part of the season.

Not true - association football (soccer) has rules that specify the range of dimensions the pitch has to be, but the actual size is entirely up to the home team - e.g., a skilful team that uses tight passing and the centre of the pitch may choose to play with a much narrower pitch, whereas teams which rely on attacking wing players will have the pitch as wide as possible.
    Wow that's interesting. Can teams vary it from game to game, or how often can they change it?
    Tied 1-1 now, but heads will still pull it off. It's a much grittier, more clutch side of the coin than tails is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate George
    is Armageddon coming?

Celtics = NBA Champs

?
    There is about a 1% chance of this happening but it sure would suck.
    That saturday night game was brutal. I was lucky enough to be at fenway friday...good times.

Tonights game is really important...honestly think it might determine who wins the whole thing.

Wow that's interesting. Can teams vary it from game to game, or how often can they change it?
    Here's what Wikipedia says:

The length of the pitch for international adult matches is in the range 100–110 metres (110–120 yd) and the width is in the range 64–75 metres (70–80 yd). Fields for non-international matches may be 100–130 yards length and 50–100 yards in width, provided that the pitch does not become square.

Yes, they could technically vary it from game to game, and occasionally do. Other techniques, like overwatering the pitch, or leaving the grass uncut, are also occasionally used (my team, Wimbledon FC, played a very basic long ball game and used to keep the grass very long to upset the flow of more skillful teams who preferred to pass along the ground)
    Quote Originally Posted by uscheese
    That saturday night game was brutal. I was lucky enough to be at fenway friday...good times.
    I was there too, zomg!
    TylerK: its just gambling if i want to worry about money i'll go to work lol
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerK
    Quote Originally Posted by uscheese
    I was there too, zomg!
    I was actually sitting in the 2nd to last row in the whole joint. I didn't even realize that fenway had 20 rows of seats behind the dunkin dugout. Needless to say we moved to standing room pretty quick.
    I was in New Haven, there was more indian's fans that boston fans

I pretty sure most of them were yankees fans cheering against the red sox, but still fun.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    bunch of new englanders here?
    I was visiting from Ohio
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    ah, I'm in CT, New haven isnt too far I coulda came down.
    Yea I'm in Boston.

Tough one last night.
    ah, I'm in CT, New haven isnt too far I coulda came down.
    word, I was staying with a friend. I'll pm in the Spring when I go back.

We should talk about homebrew/wine.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    yeah, my neighbor is a big home brewer, and I'm a big wine maker and drinker.
    I've been homebreweing and have ~20 bottles of wine aging. I tried once but no one else cares.

My friend slapped me hard in the face on Friday, I bought a round of whiskey like 5 min later cuz he was sorry. lol @ drunkamentadoodles.

BTW, wtf is everyone appreciating this? That inning was out of control.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    uh, what the fucking fuck? enough of those schenanigans.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    I love that verizon comercial. Is the kid on the stairs a boy or a girl. I've seen the comercial like 3 times and I'm still not sure.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Jesus...deciding to play poker after the 5th inning instead of watching the game was a baaaaaaaad idea. Tilt really does happen when you're pissed off and or tired.

Yuck.
    It's tribe tee time now
    bunch of new englanders here?
    NH

Certain plays that would seem absolutely idiotic at one level of thinking might be considered sublime masterpieces of deception when examined through the filter of a higher level.
    zomg where did you get those themes?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    psthemes.com?
    its on the pic,
    haha, was on my iphone and didn't zoom, sigh
    LOL OPERATIONS
    I think that little boy is actually a Euro soccer fan. I've seen him dressed in OSU colors as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprayed
    I think that little boy is actually a Euro soccer fan. I've seen him dressed in OSU colors as well.
    Yup he's like the 9/11 on top of the building kid...the internet has put him everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate George
    is Armageddon coming?

Celtics = NBA Champs

?
    +Boston College BCS Champs? What a sick game last night.