Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

To fold or not to fold

Default To fold or not to fold

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

Literally first hand, just sat down, no reads.

UTG ($3.20)
    MP ($0.89)
    Button ($1.36)
    SB ($0.57)
    Hero (BB) ($2)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3, 4
    UTG calls $0.02, MP calls $0.02, 1 fold, SB calls $0.01, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.08) 6, 7, 8 (4 players)
    SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks

Turn: ($0.08) 5 (4 players)
    SB bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, UTG calls $0.08, 1 fold

River: ($0.32) J (3 players)
    SB bets $0.24, Hero?????

I folded, UTG called and SB won with a 8-high straight. I'm unsure how to analyse if my fold was correct or not, particularly that I didnt have any of my opponents on a range. What do you think?

HAND #2:

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

BB ($0.98)
    UTG ($2.25)
    MP ($1.98)
    CO ($0.19)
    Button ($1.15)
    Hero (SB) ($2.17)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, 4
    UTG calls $0.02, MP calls $0.02, 1 fold, Button calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.01? BB checks

Given that i'm investing 1c into a 9c pot: 1/(1+9) = 10, I only need to win 1 in 10 times to make the call profitable, right? Doesn't this (given a table with an arbitrary mix of both looser and tighter kinds of players) make a call in this position with almost anything (short of say, 72o) profitable?
    Last edited by B-squared; 06-16-2014 at 02:29 AM.
    Hand 1:

Three-way, I'd probably just go ahead and fold. It's unlikely he's bluffing into two players on such a wet board, so when you win, you're usually just going to tie and take down half the pot ($0.16), but when you lose, you're losing your entire bet ($0.24), so you really have to be winning a majority of the time here to be profitable, and even then it's just barely.

Hand 2:

Post-flop, you're going to be out of position for the rest of the hand, so that puts you at a bit of a disadvantage. Also, you will hardly ever be drawing to or have the nuts, so you have to be careful that someone doesn't make a bigger hand than you and that you just end up losing big pots. With that having been said, I think calling any two suited is probably profitable here as long as you don't try to talk yourself into playing past the flop without a good hand or draw.

Another Note:

You might want to be a little more descriptive with your thread titles so that you can keep them organized. For example, you'd usually want to include the stakes in the title, so you could even just be like "[2nl] to fold or not to fold" and it would be much more helpful, or you could be a bit more descriptive with something like "[2nl] should i fold in these two hands?"

Glad to see you putting the work in, and I hope you keep it up.
    Okay great, thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    You might want to be a little more descriptive with your thread titles so that you can keep them organized. For example, you'd usually want to include the stakes in the title, so you could even just be like "[2nl] to fold or not to fold" and it would be much more helpful, or you could be a bit more descriptive with something like "[2nl] should i fold in these two hands?"

Glad to see you putting the work in, and I hope you keep it up.
    Will do, thank you for all your help, I appreciate it!