Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

Help me not suck at limit - HH's from today

Default Help me not suck at limit - HH's from today

So I am playing limit to clear bonus/rakeback on Absolute. I suck. I've read the digest and I think I've retained at least some of it, but I still feel I'm missing a bunch of concepts and I have no idea where to begin. I used my trial of PT already and do not currently have the funds to purchase the full version. Anyway a few questions before I post hands. These are all for .25/.50 6-max.

1. High card hands. I've been raising KTo+ UTG, too tight or loose? What about QJ? raise or fold early?

2. Small PPs. I've been raising 77+ UTG/+1. is this decent?

3. Blind v Blind. JT folded to me in SB, raise it or call and see a flop?

Anyway here are a few HH's, converter doesn't seem to be working so I'll try to keep it brief.

Hand 1 - Too weak? What are my other options?

Stage #1394736548: Holdem Normal $0.25/$0.50 - 2009-04-28 16:34:21 (ET)
    Table: RIALTO (Real Money) Seat #3 is the dealer
    Seat 3 - CTORODE55 ($25.55 in chips)
    Seat 4 - HAVEAN1CEDAY ($7.35 in chips)
    Seat 6 - HIGHVOLTS ($5.20 in chips)
    Seat 1 - FOSCARI ($68.40 in chips)
    Seat 2 - ZACKIV ($22.20 in chips)
    HAVEAN1CEDAY - Posts small blind $0.10
    HIGHVOLTS - Posts big blind $0.25
    *** POCKET CARDS ***
    Dealt to CTORODE55 [Js Kd]
    FOSCARI - Folds
    ZACKIV - Folds
    CTORODE55 - Raises $0.50 to $0.50
    HAVEAN1CEDAY - Folds
    HIGHVOLTS - Calls $0.25
    *** FLOP *** [3h 9s 8c]
    HIGHVOLTS - Bets $0.25
    CTORODE55 - Calls $0.25
    *** TURN *** [3h 9s 8c] [9h]
    HIGHVOLTS - Bets $0.50
    CTORODE55 - Folds

Hand 2 - OK preflop? Post seems meh to me but I'm a NL player so idk.

Stage #1394787552: Holdem Normal $0.25/$0.50 - 2009-04-28 17:06:26 (ET)
    Table: HARDROCK DR (Real Money) Seat #5 is the dealer
    Seat 5 - PAPERNUTSACK ($4.45 in chips)
    Seat 6 - BART63 ($38.35 in chips)
    Seat 1 - HAVEAN1CEDAY ($11.30 in chips)
    Seat 3 - GUHNAT ($10.40 in chips)
    Seat 4 - CTORODE55 ($20.35 in chips)
    BART63 - Posts small blind $0.10
    HAVEAN1CEDAY - Posts big blind $0.25
    *** POCKET CARDS ***
    Dealt to CTORODE55 [5s 5d]
    GUHNAT - Folds
    CTORODE55 - Raises $0.50 to $0.50
    PAPERNUTSACK - Folds
    BART63 - Folds
    HAVEAN1CEDAY - Calls $0.25
    *** FLOP *** [4c 9d 8h]
    HAVEAN1CEDAY - Checks
    CTORODE55 - Bets $0.25
    HAVEAN1CEDAY - Calls $0.25
    *** TURN *** [4c 9d 8h] [4h]
    HAVEAN1CEDAY - Checks
    CTORODE55 - Checks
    *** RIVER *** [4c 9d 8h 4h] [3h]
    HAVEAN1CEDAY - Checks
    CTORODE55 - Checks

Hand 3 - I suck from the blinds. I have so many leaks here idk where to even begin. PT would help but it's not an option right now.

Stage #1394792801: Holdem Normal $0.25/$0.50 - 2009-04-28 17:09:45 (ET)
    Table: HARDROCK DR (Real Money) Seat #3 is the dealer
    Seat 3 - GUHNAT ($9.80 in chips)
    Seat 4 - CTORODE55 ($20.65 in chips)
    Seat 5 - PAPERNUTSACK ($3.75 in chips)
    Seat 6 - BART63 ($38.25 in chips)
    Seat 1 - HAVEAN1CEDAY ($10.80 in chips)
    Seat 2 - FALCONLADY ($6.35 in chips)
    CTORODE55 - Posts small blind $0.10
    PAPERNUTSACK - Posts big blind $0.25
    *** POCKET CARDS ***
    Dealt to CTORODE55 [Jd 9c]
    BART63 - Folds
    HAVEAN1CEDAY - Folds
    FALCONLADY - Folds
    GUHNAT - Folds
    CTORODE55 - Raises $0.40 to $0.50
    PAPERNUTSACK - Calls $0.25
    *** FLOP *** [6d 5h 10d]
    CTORODE55 - Bets $0.25
    PAPERNUTSACK - Calls $0.25
    *** TURN *** [6d 5h 10d] [Ac]
    CTORODE55 - Checks
    PAPERNUTSACK - Bets $0.50
    CTORODE55 - Folds

Hand 4 - Pretty happy about this hand, I feel like I won the max, although I'm not sure if the turn c/r is the ideal line

Stage #1394806787: Holdem Normal $0.25/$0.50 - 2009-04-28 17:18:22 (ET)
    Table: RIALTO (Real Money) Seat #2 is the dealer
    Seat 2 - FLEA971 ($3.75 in chips)
    Seat 3 - CTORODE55 ($19.48 in chips)
    Seat 4 - HAVEAN1CEDAY ($18.55 in chips)
    Seat 5 - STYGIAN_DEAL ($24.30 in chips)
    Seat 6 - BRYISTUPID ($7.80 in chips)
    Seat 1 - SCORPION5 ($24.30 in chips)
    CTORODE55 - Posts small blind $0.10
    HAVEAN1CEDAY - Posts big blind $0.25
    *** POCKET CARDS ***
    Dealt to CTORODE55 [Qh Ah]
    STYGIAN_DEAL - Folds
    BRYISTUPID - Raises $0.50 to $0.50
    SCORPION5 - Calls $0.50
    FLEA971 - Folds
    CTORODE55 - Raises $0.65 to $0.75
    HAVEAN1CEDAY - Folds
    BRYISTUPID - Calls $0.25
    SCORPION5 - Raises $0.50 to $1
    CTORODE55 - Calls $0.25
    BRYISTUPID - Calls $0.25
    *** FLOP *** [5h 9h 10s]
    CTORODE55 - Checks
    BRYISTUPID - Checks
    SCORPION5 - Bets $0.25
    CTORODE55 - Calls $0.25
    BRYISTUPID - Folds
    *** TURN *** [5h 9h 10s] [3h]
    CTORODE55 - Checks
    SCORPION5 - Bets $0.50
    CTORODE55 - Raises $1 to $1
    SCORPION5 - Raises $1 to $1.50
    CTORODE55 - Raises $1 to $2
    SCORPION5 - Calls $0.50
    *** RIVER *** [5h 9h 10s 3h] [7s]
    CTORODE55 - Bets $0.50
    SCORPION5 - Calls $0.50
    CT - getting addicted to HUPLO
    1. High card hands. I've been raising KTo+ UTG, too tight or loose? What about QJ? raise or fold early?

I play very few hands under the gun, but your mileage may vary.

Specifically, on a typically loose 9-handed table, from early position I raise AA-TT and AK-A9, and that's it. IF AND ONLY IF I am confident that I will get enough callers to make it worthwhile, I will limp in A8s-A2s, KQs-KTs, QJs-QTs, JTs-J9s, T9s-T8s, 98s-97s, 87s-86s, 76s-75s, 65s, and 99-22.

I may open up IF I can successfully isolate against one player with a raise.

I just don't want to be playing trash or potential 2nd best hands out of position.

But this is entirely dependent on the table. If you are up against a tighter table and you think you can get folds all the way to the button with a raise, then you can actually open a pot with lots of hands.

On the other hand, if you are up against a tighter table which won't limp behind you, you shouldn't be playing suited connectors from early position and should either raise or fold smaller pairs.

One last thing. You play 6-max. So you can certainly open up your range a little bit as compared to my tight range for playing out of position in 9-max.

2. Small PPs. I've been raising 77+ UTG/+1. is this decent?

Same comment. If you can get people to fold behind you, you can raise any pocket pair, even a small one. If players are going to call your raise, then you want to maximize the number of callers, and you might also want to consider dumping small pairs and playing only big ones out of position.

3. Blind v Blind. JT folded to me in SB, raise it or call and see a flop?

There's nothing wrong with blind-stealing from the small blind if you have a good hand, though it should be a better hand than you are willing to blind steal with from the button, CO, or HJ, because you are going to be out of position if the BB calls or re-raises you.

JT, to me, is a good enough hand to try and blind steal with, so I'd raise it unless you are very confident that the BB will defend his position no matter what.

Now onto the hands. You need to post reads or stats if you have them. It's hard to know what villains might be doing without it.

Hand 1:

Pre-flop fine.

Villain leads on the flop. This is where a read would be nice-- does Villain always or often do that, or is he one of those "wait for the pre-flop raiser" guys who will only do that if he connects with the flop. In any event, the flop has an 8 and a 9 on it, so he could have a draw. Why not raise? You may very well be ahead of villain, you probably have at least 6 outs plus a backdoor straight possibility, and you may be able to see where you are at.

Turn: since you didn't raise on the flop, you don't know where you are on the turn. As played, given your outs are compromised by the pair on the board (villain may have trips), I think the fold is reasonable.

Hand 2:

Pre-flop perfect. You are heads up with a pocket pair.

Flop fine.

Turn: well, is that 4 likely to help a player who called a pre-flop raise and a bet on the flop? Plus, there was a straight draw on the flop. I'd bet here.

River: again, is that 3 of hearts, which completes a backdoor flush, really going to help a villain who called a pre-flop raise and a bet on the flop?

Now, I might check the river if I got called on flop and turn bets. I might also bet it. Depends on how much of a station I think villain is. But if you check the turn, I suspect that river card didn't help villain at all, so I would try a bet on the river. Villain might put you on top pair, checking the turn because of the pairing of the board.

Hand 3:

Pre-flop: fine, unless your reads tell you that you basically know that BB will defend his blinds.

Flop is a standard c-bet. C-betting theory is too complicated for this discussion, but you need to do reads as to whether this sort of thing works against this villain. But absent such reads, I don't have a problem with it.

Now the turn comes an ace. You have two choices here. Represent the ace and bet (you did raise pre-flop), or check and be prepared to fold if villain bets, because you don't have anything and villain is representing the ace. You chose the latter.

Hand 4:

Pre-flop. Raise from HJ is standard. Once you are re-raised, you should understand that the temptation to cap pots pre-flop in limit is often irresistable to players. I tend to like being the capper, because it gives me the initiative to be aggressive post-flop. But this is very much a personal choice (I got called an idiot at the poker table last night for pursuing this very strategy!). But OK, one way or the other, pot was capped.

Flop: Raise. You have more outs than a .157 hitter in baseball. You have 2 overcards, the nut flush draw, and a backdoor straight possibility. Ram and jam.

Turn and river: standard.
    right here...
    http://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...ies-t6613.html

then, read the rest of the stickies. but, lawdude's post was probably great, too. i'll have to read it tomorrow.
    LHE is a game where your skill keeps you breakeven until you hit your rush of random BS.

Nothing beats flopping quads while dropping a duece!

Default Re: Help me not suck at limit - HH's from today

Preflop:

1) KTo is very loose UTG in 6max, so is QJ. The problem is at these limits you're going to end up in a four way pot more often than not and these hands just don't play that well multiway OOP. Be more inclined to tighten up from early position with offsuit cards. I might open AT, KQ, KJs, QJs, JTs.

2) Same problem with pps. You're going to be in a multiway pot witha middle pp and OOP. Try tightening up a bit maybe to 99 UTG.

3) It depends on your opponent. Against some you will not need to make a hand to win the pot because you can just run them over. Against others you will need to make a hand because they will never fold the flop or turn with the remotest chance of winning. I suspect the latter are more common at these stakes. Just limping in is not a bad option with hands like JT in these cases.

HH:

1) You need to put villian on a range and stick with it. On the flop you're getting 5:1 to hit a 6 outter if behind. By calling you're saying that you believe he is on a draw sometimes. When he bets the turn and you fold you're saying he has a pair always. See the problem?

2) Bet the turn and fold to a c/r. Most guys at these limits will call a flop bet with pretty much anything. Don't give him any free cards. As played, bet the river because now he will call with 3x or even A high.

3) Bet the turn and rep the Ace. That's the only way to justify raising J9 preflop.

4) I think donking the turn when you hit the nuts actually gives your hand away more than the c/r. For some reason, bad players think a c/r means you're FOS. I would try to c/r the river too because he obv. has blinders on and will probably bet that blank with his AA/KK when you check to him.
    "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on." (George Bush).