Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Is this too nitty?

Default Is this too nitty?

Opp was fairly standard TAG not overly quiet though. We hadn't really tangled yet before this pot.

I didn't think he would play the naked ace of diamonds this way (thought he'd check raise) and didn't see a v big proportion of his range that i wasn't in terrible shape against.

Thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Button ($47)
    SB ($53.95)
    BB ($48.50)
    UTG ($49.55)
    Hero ($64.45)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K, K.
    1 fold, Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) 4, 3, 6 (2 players)
    BB bets $3, Hero raises to $14, BB raises to $46.5, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $32.25
    I think this fold is okay.
    Never bet on a white man in the heavyweight division!
    I'm fine with this.
    Yeah, you're flipping at best (hard to imagine he's doing this with worse than an overpair with diamond) so folding is good.

I would actually flat call his donk because you're getting shoved on so often.
    Maybe calling is better but my hand has very little hope of improving and can get a hell of a lot worse.

Wanted to raise to A: find out where I was and B: try and take the hand down there and then instead of putting myself in unclear spots if he leads turn and river.

Guy told me he had QQ with the Q(d) didn't put any over pairs in his range since i thought he'd 3 bet pre with 10,10+ and wouldnt shove the rest like this.
    what zook said ....

if u r planning on folding to a shove probably best to peel one and see if a diamond comes ... he will play his hand much more straightforward on the turn and make it easier for u to put more money in the times you are ahead and to keep the pot small when youre behind. raising to fold is probably burning money imo.
    op: You're slightly ahead/way behind. Many of the hands you're slightly ahead of are going to semibluff jam and you'll be forced to fold. It's a perfect place for pot control.
    It's a good fold imo
    Check out the new blog!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall28
    what zook said ....

if u r planning on folding to a shove probably best to peel one and see if a diamond comes ... he will play his hand much more straightforward on the turn and make it easier for u to put more money in the times you are ahead and to keep the pot small when youre behind. raising to fold is probably burning money imo.
    agree totally
    3k post - Return of the blog!
    OP, what hands are donking into you and NOT shoving over your raise?

two pairs will shove, straights will shove, sets will shove, flushes will probably shove and all high diamonds will shove.

Raise/folding is turning your hand into a bluff imo.

I agree with the other posts, to pot control here. If you're really set on getting it in and making him pay for any draw, I'd like to peel a safe turn and get it in there instead of raising the flop where you'll likely get semi bluffed off your hand.

I prefer just calling down over all options.
    raise/folding is terrible, raise/call, or preferably flat the original bet. stop raising to make hands easier to play you monkeys
    My bankroll is the amount of money I would spend or lose before I got a job. It is calculated by adding my net worth to whatever I can borrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutsinho
    stop raising to make hands easier to play you monkeys
    Agreed. When you are about to do something, and you imagine yourself explaining after the hand why you did it, if the first words out of your mouth are "I wanted to see where I was at..." then you should reconsider that action very carefully. It could still be the right decision, but you're making it for the wrong reasons.

But as played up to the raise, I still endorse the fold. I just think flat-calling would be a better choice. Get to a turn to cheap and see how things develop.
    How would you play 77 no diamond on this board? I see no overwhelming reason to play it any differently.