Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

SNG or Cash

Default SNG or Cash

So, I'm really interested in HU because of the ammount of action there is and how fast paced it is.

I was just wonderring if some of you regulars could answer the main differences in format.

And also answer what kind of bankroll you need for HU (preferably 3 different options of risky quick building, slowly building, and professional safe almost 100% not to go broke) and do you think cash or SNG can bring more cash to a skilled player?
    My blog/operation where ill gladly discuss all my poker thoughts/hands etc, all welcome: http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...os-192003.html

6-max NLHE, micro-small stake player
    main difference in format is that your stack is alot deeper at hu cash (if ur not an evil shortsatcker that is) which results in alot more 'play' between players i.e. more room for moves to be made.

In relation to bankroll you should never really play wth anything less than 50 buyins for your desired limit as the variance at hu is higher than in full ring or 6 max. Many people advise to have far more buyins than that; generally closer to 70 to be safe.

And i personally feel that you woud be far better suited to hu sngs as hu cash is definitely not for beginners due to the more complicated and varying style of play as well as the high variance and swings involved. Also the majority of players at hu sngs are FAR worse than in hu cash, plus the rake at 50nl hu is ridiculously bad which kills your winrate. Imo you should play maybe a couple hundred hu sngs and see how you do, to basically gain experiecnce and grasp the basics of hu before you dive into hu cash. Youll rarely encounter anyone decent untill the 30 dollar hu sngs thus playing any sort of solid game will result in profit in the long run.
    thx, I'd like to know more about the bankroll strategy for HU, i'm still playing micro limit cash games (I moved to 10NL last week after getting my roll to 200$... well I kinda last 20$ today cuz I moved to partypoker to try out their bonus but I hated the software so much that I moved back to stars)

Basically, I'm still at the stage where what i'm trying to do is build my roll quickly, and the way I look at bankroll it's adjustable depending on your goal and stakes

For now I'm kinda following the BR strategy here http://www.pocketfives.com/poker-art...gement-2425952, but since there's no BR strategy for HU I don't know what to do... if anyone could give me minimum buy-in ruiqirements for a risky player, decent buy-in requirements for a safe player and best definitely not gonna go broke buy-in requirements for a professional that would be helpful

BTW, I think I'm gonna try my luck at the HU SNG's on stars

EDIT: I'm also wonderring what your thoughts are on the HU tournamets with 4+ players winner (or top 6 if more than 30 players) takes all
    EDIT2: do you guys recommend any sites that might help me with HU? I'm already a member at cardrunners but they focus most on shorthanded cash games, is there a site which has a lot of HU ti^s and videos?
    My blog/operation where ill gladly discuss all my poker thoughts/hands etc, all welcome: http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...os-192003.html

6-max NLHE, micro-small stake player
    Cash seems like the more profitable of the 2. A good ROI at HU SNG's is like 3-7%.
    Check out the new blog!!!
    A decent 100NL or 200NL player can crush $100 HU SnG's over a small smaple I think
    of what little cash HU I have played, it is scary
    i prefer the SnG
    if you have a mega bankroll cash could be fun for the seasoned HU player
    HU cash is so much more profitable. People have no idea at the lower stakes and middle stakes if you table select. If you're good the swings aren't gonna be bad at the low stakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSkinsFan
    Cash seems like the more profitable of the 2. A good ROI at HU SNG's is like 3-7%.
    25% is achievable at lowstakes regular HUSNGs imo, 3-7% as a good ROI is for mid-high stakes turbos or HS (500$+) regulars.
    Where I am, I don't know, I'll never know, in the silence you don't know, you must go on, I can't go on, I'll go on.