Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Set vs flopped straight - do you play this any different?

Default Set vs flopped straight - do you play this any different?

The SB is a 24/16 with a 75% fold to steal. He only raises a flop cbet 10%, folding to one ~50%. He cold calls 17% from the small blind.

BB: $106.19
    CO: $40.00
    Hero (BTN): $78.48
    SB: $35.71

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BTN with Td Th
    1 fold, Hero raises to $2, SB calls $1.75, 1 fold

Flop: ($4.50) Js Ad Ts (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $3.01, SB raises to $6.02, Hero raises to $20, SB raises to $33.71 all in, Hero calls $13.71

Turn: ($71.92) 6d (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($71.92) Kd (2 players - 1 is all in)

He shows me KQ

My range for him at the flop after flatting preflop is {AJ, AT, JT, 22-99, 56s-KQo}

8 pairs for 42 combos, 27 combos of AJ, AT or JT + 16 of KQ, 32 of smaller SCs for a total of 117 combos. 16 of them break me.

After he raises the flop his range narrows to:

{AJ, AT, JT, KQ} since I don't think with a low raise to cbet at the flop stat he'd raise his smaller spade SCs.

There are 43 combos in his flop raising range of which 16 beat me and 27 probably stack off to me.

Do you play this any different, or was I right to go broke here to his raise at the flop?

Also, are my range estimations correct, since this is what I'm predominantly working on at present.
    Last edited by BorisTheSpider; 03-22-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Yes you played it fine, unlucky. Your range seems ok.

The thing is though, nothing can really be learned from this hand. If you're looking to improve you have to ask good questions to get good answers. I'm guessing there are probably a lot of small pot hands that you don't completely understand yet. Some good basic questions might be... for e.g. Do i cbet here and why? or Do i 3b here? Then some of the regs might answer with a thoughtful response.
    unless there is a big fish in the blinds you were targetting then your preflop raise size is probably too large. you will want to be raising with a pretty wide range on the BU to steal the blinds so your button opening range will benefit from a smaller "standard" opening size. flop is played fine.
    The question is did you thought of all these ranges after the hand of during? Don't stare blind on ranges to much, in my experience people just tend to things differently, randomly, especially a fish.