Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

AJ against a pre minraise

Default AJ against a pre minraise

ok take it easy here because i know i made a few errors but i am asking about two areas.
    1.Preflop...The villian was like 30/17 over 50 hands
    His min raise could have been anything....
    Is AJ here a fold pre or should i have raised more.

2.Was the flop reraise extremely speeewwyy or was it appropriate to gain info based on the size of his flop bet.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com
    CO ($2.29)
    Button ($2.15)
    SB ($1.53)
    BB ($3.86)
    UTG ($1.91)
    UTG+1 ($1.98)
    Hero (MP1) ($2.37)
    MP2 ($2.13)
    MP3 ($2)
    Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J, A
    UTG bets $0.04, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.12, 6 folds, UTG calls $0.08
    Flop: ($0.29) J, K, 9 (2 players)
    UTG bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, UTG calls $0.08
    Turn: ($0.49) 6 (2 players)
    UTG bets $1.69 (All-In), Hero

Kinda feels like AA. I don't think he would min pre with AK. might be 99
    was it appropriate to gain info based on the size of his flop bet
    Don't bet for information. Bet for value or bet as a semi/bluff (or for protection I suppose). You need to put him on a range to determine which is the best action. So which are you doing here? Looks like you're trying to nail his hand to a single holding. Use ranges.

As for the hand, I don't like isolating an UTG raiser (yes I know it's a gay minraise) from this early with AJo. I really don't know what to think about your post-flop actions... kinda makes me want to throw up.
    Last edited by OhioRounder; 05-10-2010 at 09:48 PM.
    I would first ask myself, "does he typically open min UTG with junk?" my guess is he probably doesnt and hes probably trying to be clever with a big hand on those min bets. Fold and take note.
    You could always just call down and see if he does something stupid like monster bets a turn or river blank. There's maybe 4 cards you're scared of on the turn, so not a huge need to raise for protection. Raising as a bluff when a 30/17 bets a flop after raising pre is pretty silly (though it can work if they randomly donk bet after limping on the button). I'd just try and get to showdown cheap, take a note and see what he shows up with. If he bets either turn or river huge you can probably bet he minraises pre with monsters. That's how you can gain some information

{edit} didn't see he shoved turn. you can be pretty positive he does have a monster then. That being said we save cash by just calling down and seeing if he does that on turn.
    Im ready this time.
    Isolating preflop IP is OK, I would usually just make it $0.10 but $0.12 works. The flop is a bit draw heavy and his min bet could mean a lot of things, but I don't see why you would raise to make a straight draw pay if you only have 2nd pair. I would just called the flop being IP and re-evaluate the turn. Fold given the way the hand has played out. Generally stacking off with 2ndPTK at 2nl is a mistake that you should just let the feesh do.
    you don't really accomplish anything by 3betting except making the pot bigger and making villain's range stronger. if he folds then you likely had him crushed anyway. at 2 or 5nl i would probably call with AJ here because people are happy to play far worse aces and take them too far postflop. on flop i see no reason to raise. your hand has some value but it's not a hand you're really willing to go to the felt with. keep the pot small. it's him making the mistakes if he keeps minbetting with top set or whatever. his minbets give you 16:1 so it's almost never wrong to call with a pair. however if you raise i imagine he folds a lot of the shit he was minbetting and continues with a pretty strong range. and you can't really beat much with one pair against a preflop raising range on that board. here is your equity vs a range of all pairs TT+ and all broadway combinations for a bit of perspective.

Board: Jd Ks 9h
    Dead:
    equity win tie pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 37.949% 35.14% 02.81% 41741 3342.50 { AsJh }
    Hand 1: 62.051% 59.24% 02.81% 70374 3342.50 { TT+, ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }

i think it's best to keep his range wide, and take a note on what he's minraising preflop and minbetting the flop with if it goes to showdown.
    IMO your likely beat. AJ off in early position is a fold for me anyway. If I cant lead with this hand, I'm not usually going to call any bet even the gay min bet. If in late position, I might reraise to isolate but this early in position you need to decide if AJ off is worth the heartache. Let's say you get a dream flop of J-7-2 rainbow, what can you expect to get? Turn and River are going to have scare cards and will slow you down. If you can't take the pot down with the c-bet on flop you are lost and that is assuming that he didnt min raise UTG with AA or KK like Jesus Ferguson preaches. Alot will say I am too tight but that is okay by me.