Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Bluffing players with low VPIP and PFR stats?

Default Bluffing players with low VPIP and PFR stats?

How does this work for you?

I have learned over the past couple of days how important these two stats are, and when playing against someone with a VPIP/PFR of 33/20 that I shouldn't bluff too much but play them for value instead.

Of course when playing at tight tables making money can be more difficult, but I believe the logic behind these stats would be that someone with stats such as 17/5 or 22/14 would be easier to bluff against because they play tighter hands?
    Last edited by GreatLeslie; 11-01-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    Be very cautious when reading more from a stat than exactly what the stat tells you.

Pre-flop stats are pertinent to pre-flop actions, and while that is indicative of Villain's range on later streets, the stats are not what helps you, it's the information the stat reveal about Villain's ranges and overall strategy.

If you are thinking about bluffing, you need to know Villain's tendencies for that spot. You need an estimate of Villain's current range, then you need to estimate what % of that range will he fold or continue.

Post some actual hands where you were thinking about bluffing. Guess Villain's range in that spot, and guess what hands you think you can make him fold. Post this info with the hand.
    If they have fewer hands, then they have stronger hands on average, and that means that you can't bluff them as often with all else being equal.

With that having been said, pre-flop stats aren't the only thing you have to consider. Is this the type of player who likes to call down three streets against pot-sized bets when they hold third pair with no draw? If so, then it doesn't matter if they're 17/5 or 35/25 because their folding percentage on most boards is going to be pretty low with all else being equal.