Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Setting up Bovada hud

Default Setting up Bovada hud

So I've been doin' this here internet poker thing, but I see people with shiny heads up displays, and I'm an old man now, and want to know how that's accomplished in the 2015s.

(Holy crap I haven't played poker in forever, and I'm severely out of touch. what program are people using to run a HUD at Bovada over PT4? Isn't it native to PT4 now?)

Thanks!
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
    I play on Bovada.

Do not use a HUD if your only poker site is Bovada.

Anonymous tables means that you're never going to have more than 50 - 100 hands on any player before they leave. I can walk you through the math behind small samples, but your stats will be useless to you.

In that amount of time, there's nothing a stat will tell you that your observant mind wont already know.

The advantage of a HUD is that it allows you to compile information from thousands of hands on the same player. The stats don't mean much until you have a few thousand hands to back them up.

If you are playing on a normal site, with player names, then a HUD can be helpful, but it's still nowhere near the bang for the buck you'll get by posting hands here on FTR and participating in the discussions in the small stakes forum.

My advice to anyone buying a HUD program is to work your way out of the micros before you bother. Focus on obvious plays before you get into the tricky ones.
    I think Hold'Em Manager 2 is the 'goto' tracker.

The Hand database of your play for later analysis can be very useful even on anonymous tables.
    Whether it's worth spending the money for you'll have to decide for yourself. You can get your hand records without a tracker anyway.

VPIP/PFR could conceivably be some use if you lay long sessions and are unobservant but it's far more likely to be a distraction.
    its more of a distraction. you can only play 4 tables at a time so stats are going to be useless. pay attention and the money is yours. muwhahaha
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get." ~ courtesy of my fortune cookie from china king

"One of the best pieces of advice I've ever read in this forum was three words long...

bet fucking fold." Ong
    Huds may not be all that on a site like Bovada/Bodog, but just having VPIP/PFR would be helpful to separate the money from the more taggy players. At my age even 4 tabling takes serious effort if I need to remember who did what. I am sure Euph is the same too. We come from the poker world where you didn't use anything but a hud and notes
    Quote Originally Posted by Timlagor View Post
    VPIP/PFR could conceivably be some use if you lay long sessions and are unobservant but it's far more likely to be a distraction.
    As someone who once did daily 9-hour Bovada grinds, you're not gonna see that benefit.
    It's not enough for you to play long sessions... your opponents have to play long sessions, too.

As for the observant part... if you're observant enough to look at a stat and remember what you've studied about that stat, then you're observant enough to put someone on a read of "tight" or "loose"... which is all any stat can tell you until you have hundreds of hands on someone, and really thousands is much better for any stats beyond VPIP/PFR.

At some point a HUD will help, but not at the micros and not on Bovada.
    I didn't know any HUD worked on Bovada.
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    I didn't know any HUD worked on Bovada.
    There are a couple, but they only track session stats, for obvious reasons.

Some people have said they like to use the software simply to track themselves, which I find to be a much better reason than to use at the tables on Bovada.
    I have no issue with running a hud for single sessions. If and only if it jogs my memory. Hell, thats the way we did it when I was at my most profitable, but that's also when the fish were most plentiful.

In any case, the cost / benefit ratio is pretty big imo. Particularly if no one else is using one.

Does anyone have a recommendation?
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    There are a couple, but they only track session stats, for obvious reasons.

Some people have said they like to use the software simply to track themselves, which I find to be a much better reason than to use at the tables on Bovada.
    I would be very happy to have it to track sessions. I just didn't know they exist.
    http://acepokersolutions.com/Bodog_Poker_Catcher.html allows use of hem or pt on bovada, 72 hour free trial.
    Wow $40 plus the cost of PT4 or HM2
    i'm guessing that most US guys will already have hem 2 or pt3 for playing on WPN , merge etc then its 40$ for that or $100 for holdem indicator to get a HUD on bovada
    You are not allowed to use HUDs on SNAP at 888 but you can still collect all the hands data.

When I'm playing I stop every 30 mins and go thorough the hand replayer in 888 and write notes on most hands that went to SD. As in all fast poker when you fold you don't get to see the rest of the hand unless you 'fold and watch'.

I probably make about 10 notes every 30 mins

like:

F] Gii with AKo A high

The other thing I do is before the next session, I transfer Stats from PT4 to 888, by using hand report in PT4 to track individual players down.

These are the stats I collect:

40 hands: VPIP/PFR
    100 hands VPIP/PFR/AF (I update existing ones)
    150 hands VPIP/PFR/AF 3bet/F3bet
    200 hands VPIP/PFR/AF 3bet/F3bet cbetF/Fcbet

Around 300 hands ( I have one Villain so far) I look at more stats and see if I can spot their most exploitable tendencies and make a note.

It takes a bit of time, but I always feel that when I start the next session, I am confident that I am building up a huge edge over the others in the player pool who don't use any information on opponents.

Maybe that kind of approach would work on Bovada?

POKER IS A GAME OF INFORMATION
    Last edited by DJAbacus; 02-20-2015 at 05:29 AM.
    won't work as people are only identified as player1....player6 so you can never build a sample against a players screename you don't even know if you are playing them on one or more tables.
    I think he's trying to build a profile of the pool as a whole. I reckon that's probably not a hugely valuable exercise though since there will be so much variety within the pool than any exploit you think you spot is as likely to backfire as work.

I'd expect playing 'normal speed' tables would be a much better option for the attentive player without screen-names -just possibly the Speed pool is so much more fishy that that isn't the case but it seems unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timlagor View Post
    I think he's trying to build a profile of the pool as a whole. I reckon that's probably not a hugely valuable exercise though since there will be so much variety within the pool than any exploit you think you spot is as likely to backfire as work.

I'd expect playing 'normal speed' tables would be a much better option for the attentive player without screen-names -just possibly the Speed pool is so much more fishy that that isn't the case but it seems unlikely.
    who are you referring to in this post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    who are you referring to in this post?
    A mythical person from concatenating posts apparently