Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Questionable call.

Default Questionable call.

Villain is 56/13, but only over 16 hands. No reads otherwise.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

MP3 ($9.65)
    CO ($17.65)
    Button ($9.70)
    SB ($41.05)
    BB ($74.50)
    UTG ($10.95)
    Hero (UTG+1) ($50.10)
    MP1 ($17.35)
    MP2 ($10)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9, 9
    1 fold, Hero calls $0.50, 3 folds, CO bets $2, 3 folds, Hero calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.75) 5, 7, 2 (2 players)
    Hero bets $4.50, CO raises to $15.65 (All-In), Hero calls $11.15

Turn: ($36.05) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($36.05) 3 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $36.05 | Rake: $1.80

Results below:
    Hero had 9, 9 (two pair, nines and fives).
    CO had A, A (two pair, Aces and fives).
    Outcome: CO won $34.25

I should fold at what point in this hand?
    Please no results. I know they are whited out. However, there will be complications when someone is trying to assign a range, and weights their range towards the actual results, thereby affecting their decisions. And they likely won't even do it intentionally.

As far as the hand:

(1) Why did you limp preflop? What are the advantages of limp/calling a hand as strong as 99 here? Do you think it shows a better expected value than open raising?

(2) Why are you donking this flop? What hands are you looking to get value from?

I'd raise preflop. Certainly when a player as bad as this one is left to act behind me.
    Well, I donked the flop to chase out AX, KX, QX, etc., and rep a made hand. Frankly, if I fold out AK here, I'm not too upset. Call me chicken $hit, but if he's going to suck out and catch his 6-outer (which is what I had him on), I want to charge him. Also, I figure if I donk, and he calls, I can check a turn and maybe get a free shot at turning trips on the river.

I'm limping here because I had been raising medium pairs early like this and either getting 3-bet off, or hitting 2-over flops and losing out to bets on those flops.

I was essentially setmining here. I do mix in raises, but I don't alway raise. Should I?
    Quote Originally Posted by dontezuma
    Well, I donked the flop to chase out AX, KX, QX, etc., and rep a made hand. Frankly, if I fold out AK here, I'm not too upset. Call me chicken $hit, but if he's going to suck out and catch his 6-outer (which is what I had him on), I want to charge him. Also, I figure if I donk, and he calls, I can check a turn and maybe get a free shot at turning trips on the river.

I'm limping here because I had been raising medium pairs early like this and either getting 3-bet off, or hitting 2-over flops and losing out to bets on those flops.

I was essentially setmining here. I do mix in raises, but I don't alway raise. Should I?
    The logic in this post is pretty incorrect in quite a few aspects. First and foremost, regarding the limping, I hate to say 'always" in poker, but you should be opening a hand as strong as 99 like 99% of the time. Especially when you have a player as bad as this villain behind you calling with loads of worse hands.

Second, if your reasoning for donking the flop is to "scare out Ax, Kx, Qx, {insert other worse hands}", then this is also incorrect logic. Betting to have those hands make an mistake in calling is the correct way to look at it if you are considering donking here. You want those hands to call when they are doing so incorrectly. If the call is -EV, and they don't make it, then they are not making a mistake, and therefore you are not gaining the most EV as possible (note you are gaining because they will have some equity in the pot, and by folding they no longer have any equity. However, them making an incorrect call is going to be a better outcome for you).

Second, you say you are "putting him on a hand with 6 outs". This is once against faulty logic, and leads you to playing your hands in a manner that while okay against that portion of his range, totally neglects his entire range. Villain raised a limper preflop IP. He very likely has a pretty wide range here. Hands such as TT+, sets, 2 pairs, flush draws, straight draws, should not be overlooked, only to focus on his overcards. Instead make a decision that will maximize against his entire range.

To be honest, I don't know what to do on the flop. This is a situation I've never been in (limp/calling OOP). Given stack sizes, I probably just c/r, or donk/call as you did. Leaning towards the c/r because players just love to bet when checked to nowadays, and they aren't very discriminate when it comes to board textures.
    I agree with Stacks. If you don't want to open 99 with a raise in no limit, believe it or not, the second best thing to do with it out of position is fold it, not limp it. You can limp or call BEHIND with it if you want to setmine, but if you are first to act, it's either raise or fold.

As for what to do after the flop, the reality is, since you posted the results, that when you flop an overpair on a dry board and your opponent has a bigger overpair, you are probably going to lose a lot of money. It's sort of like set-over-set-- it's hard to get away from this sort of a hand because there are so few hands that are likely to beat you.

So I wouldn't worry too much about the result. When you have 9's, the villain has aces, and the flop is dry, low cards, it's a bad situation to be in.