Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

preflop issues with big hands

Default preflop issues with big hands

1. villain is jmart, seems to be a reg with head on shoulders

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

MP ($102.35)
    Hero ($102.10)
    SB ($262.55)
    BB ($128)
    UTG ($41.20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, K.
    1 fold, MP raises to $4, Hero raises to $14, 2 folds, MP raises to $36, Hero folds??

2. villain is 15/12

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

BB ($100)
    UTG ($210.35)
    MP ($140)
    Hero ($104.15)
    Button ($266.95)
    SB ($100.10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, K.
    2 folds, Hero raises to $4, Button calls $4, 1 fold, BB raises to $18, Hero raises to $104.15,

3. villain is 24/18 over very small sample of hands

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

SB ($104.05)
    BB ($122.95)
    UTG ($106.55)
    MP ($244.60)
    Hero ($150.90)
    Button ($20)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, A.
    UTG raises to $4, 1 fold, Hero raises to $14, 3 folds, UTG raises to $106.55, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $29.50

4. villain is 27/15 or some ish

BB ($371.85)
    UTG ($87.35)
    Hero ($117.35)
    CO ($110.45)
    Button ($114.35)
    SB ($109.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J, J.
    1 fold, Hero raises to $4, CO calls $4, Button raises to $16, 2 folds, Hero ?,
    This is all more read dependant than just stats... But that shove on hand2 is definitely questionable. Hand 3 I'd actually probably call

Hand 1 and 4 are very much read and table flow dependent
    My blog/operation where ill gladly discuss all my poker thoughts/hands etc, all welcome: http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...os-192003.html

6-max NLHE, micro-small stake player
    % 3-bet helps me a lot in these spots, %steal might be relevent as well.
    Usually jam hand 1.
    hand 2: I always make smaller 4bets and never shove (when it's an overbet). It's a choice, it seems to balance well with smaller 4bets as bluffs. But as played it's ok.
    hand 3: Yes fold.
    hand 4: I don't know, would like to hear others.
    Hand 1 - Jammm

Hand 2 - umm.. he's mega tight. I don't know, reads would help here. Is he capable of squeezing light?

Hand 3 - I really don't like 3-betting the UTG raiser if you plan on folding once he 4-bets. There's a good chance you get 4-bet once you 3-bet an UTG raiser, and folding is like you were turning your hand into a bluff. either 3-bet/call shove or flat the UTG raiser IMO.

Hand 4 - Again you probably need reads on his squeezing frequency etc. I mix it up between calling and 4-betting here.
    Quote Originally Posted by griffey24
    Hand 3 - I really don't like 3-betting the UTG raiser if you plan on folding once he 4-bets. There's a good chance you get 4-bet once you 3-bet an UTG raiser, and folding is like you were turning your hand into a bluff. either 3-bet/call shove or flat the UTG raiser IMO.
    Not really agreeing or disagreeing with you, but assuming villain has a 3bet calling range OOP, that should play a part in our decision imo, I'm just not sure how much it affects it.

Also if we call, in general, are we easily giving up on non A/K flops? If so, it seems like we're loosing the 'missed flops'-battle.

Hand 4 - Again you probably need reads on his squeezing frequency etc. I mix it up between calling and 4-betting here.
    When you call the sqeeuze, could you explain your flop plan on A/K flop? Q flop? other flops?
    I struggle with this situation as well, because 4betting for a large part seems to turn our hand into a bluff, but calling leaves us in a very tough spot OOP as well.
    I really don't like 3-betting the UTG raiser if you plan on folding once he 4-bets. There's a good chance you get 4-bet once you 3-bet an UTG raiser, and folding is like you were turning your hand into a bluff. either 3-bet/call shove or flat the UTG raiser IMO.
    This is key. You don't want to put yourself in a spot where it's not unlikely that they'll reraise, yet you have to go into the tank if they do. Plan ahead.
    1) Jmart iirc is pretty nitty, and this may be a fold, but its soooted so i guess just jam. unless you had been abusing him his 4 bet range is probably QQ+/AK.

2) i play the same, unless he is literally 3 betting JJ+/AK and folding every thing but KK+/AK, which this player may be doing judging from his pf stats.

3) i agree with other ppl about 3 betting here.

4) i prefer 4betting.
    Cash Rules Everything Around Me.