Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Still Carroting 6 Years On

Default Still Carroting 6 Years On

I still don't know what Carroting is, but there you go. It's been a hell of a long time, a whole 6 years since I first stumbled upon this community and started seeking advice as a poker fish who thought he actually knew a thing or two about how to play this game. I have this place to thank for everything I've achieved in poker over the years (not quite a fortune and balla mansion but enough to be thankful for!)

I stumbled back here today and was happy to see loads of the old faces I'd come up the ranks with right at the start of my career, as well as a lot of news ones. It's awesome that so many of you are still at it and keeping the community place alive.

So I thought I'd create a new blog that I could update on a semi regular basis just to stay in touch. So here's what I've been upto both in and outside of poker.

IRL

University: I graduated from university last summer and managed to scrape a first degree in philosophy - I'm not really sure if there's any way I'll be able to use this to my advantage yet given Ive decided to probably not go down the academic philosophy route, but we'll see.

Teaching: Until recently I was teaching English in Italy which was a really cool experience and made a nice change form Scottish rain and the same old routine, meeting lots of new people etc was really revitalising. i may be off on another teaching venture to another part of Italy sometime soon depending on if there's enough to keep me here. My g/f is certainly not thrilled about the idea of me jetting off for another 6 months but would definitely back me if it was the best option. That I'm grateful for so we'll see what the new year holds.

Hobbies: I'm pursuing a bunch of interests right now like music, writing, building a website and some other stuff while I'm figuring out my next life move.

Poker

Coaching
    : I've been coaching poker and making training videos now for nearly five years (crazy how time flies) and am still really enjoying that. I've had a lot of success with some of my students recently and that's been super fulfilling. I've also gotten a lot better as a coach over this period so if you're a NLH 6 max or HU player looking to hire a coach, I'd love to hear from you. Coaching is my primary focus in the poker world, and while I'll never stop being a poker player, I'm not looking to do that part of things professionally, as I've learned over time that it doesn't make me happy.

Grinding: I still enjoy keeping my game sharp and grinding when when I feel like putting in some volume - my main game of late has been 100NL zoom, but I've also been learning the ropes of 8 game and putting in some time there at 1/2 and 2/4. Pity there's not so much traffic, but I'm not really at the stage I can multi-table yet. I'm getting pretty solid in 2-7 and improving in the stud games but I suck at O8 and PLO due to lack of exposure so need to work on those for sure.

Website: I've been having fun building this of late. Check it out at www.carrotcorner.com The main theme is poker and in particular a place to advertise my services as a coach. I'm also sticking up some music that I've written as well as poetry, factual articles, that kind of thing. If you're thinking of hiring a coach, feel free to check it out and shoot me a pm or email, or if you just want to check out what I've been upto on there I'd love to hear what you think.

Open Face Chinese Poker

I think this game is seriously cool. If you want to arrange a small stakes game for a bit of fun, hit me up!

Well that's about all I have to say for now guys. Will try to be more active around here and participate a bit more on the forums. See y'all around.
    hey , welcome back carroters, new game of werewolf is registering if you're interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    hey , welcome back carroters, new game of werewolf is registering if you're interested.
    But what if you tilt me again with your provocatively and intentionally bad logic?
    Good to see you back on here. Just wanted to say I'm still enjoying your GS vids the rare time I manage to get to watch them and you'd definitely become a successful school teacher in the UK if that's a route you're considering longer term (the time commitment is huge though if my missus is anything to go by).

Also enjoyed the democracy article on your website, which articulates most of my own frustrations with democracy in the UK.
    class of 2007/8 represent!

Quote Originally Posted by Carroters View Post
    I still don't know what Carroting is
    carroting is

University: I graduated from university last summer and managed to scrape a first degree in philosophy
    nice work, you joined the firsts club - welcome!

Teaching: Until recently I was teaching English in Italy
    funny, teach english in korea/somewhere is a default stalling move for heaps of grads in nz. Nice to hear that it applies there too!

sounds like life is in a good place, i'm glad to hear it
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Good to see you back on here. Just wanted to say I'm still enjoying your GS vids the rare time I manage to get to watch them and you'd definitely become a successful school teacher in the UK if that's a route you're considering longer term (the time commitment is huge though if my missus is anything to go by).

Also enjoyed the democracy article on your website, which articulates most of my own frustrations with democracy in the UK.
    Thanks man, glad you're still enjoying the content of a poker dinosaur!
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    class of 2007/8 represent!

carroting is

nice work, you joined the firsts club - welcome!

funny, teach english in korea/somewhere is a default stalling move for heaps of grads in nz. Nice to hear that it applies there too!

sounds like life is in a good place, i'm glad to hear it
    Sup Daven, good to see you sir. How's the life of climbing and crushing the micros with insane volume?
    Carrot! Congrats on the degree. My cousin and his wife just did a stint in China teaching English. Would you ever think about going for your PhD and becoming a Full time professor?
    Carroters! Welcome back buddy.

I have a few friends that are teaching in China/Japan/S. Korea. I visited Beijing for few months and there is a decent expat community there. Fun times.

Good luck with everything.