Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

rosetta stone and mandarin

Default rosetta stone and mandarin

I'm learning mandarin and have a few podcasts etc but now I'm getting Rosetta Stone with mandarin. I used RS a little for spanish so I have a little experience with it. I was however pretty knowledgeable already with spanish so I didn't use it a lot. Has anyone learned a language with RS with no prior knowledge? Is there a certain way to use RS to get the most out of it?

Also, if anyone has learned mandarin, any tips? I want to eventually live in shanghai for a year or two while working there.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    nihow
    I learned a lotta languages using RS
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    I bought the RS cds to learn arabic. I only did a lesson cuz im lazy but it was a very different method than how u learn in class. Seems good though.
    Nine to five is how to survive - I ain't trying to survive / I'm trying to live it to the limit and love it a lot //

Can offer RB deals on most sites, PM me.
    But is there any method? There seems to be a bunch of lessons per chapter with a-e ways of doing each lesson.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Are you learning Mandarin for any specific purpose, or just because you know it'll be super useful in your field? Or are you trying to meet some hot asians in Shanghai? I'm sure it's amazingly attractive to find a white guy who knows how to speak it.

I don't know how to speak it, but I really think I need to learn it if I pursue anything in business. It seems like it would be one of the most useful languages to know after English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    for business. my consulting company has projects there.

if you want to come over some time we can learn chinese and love you long time all night
    LOL OPERATIONS
    For some reason when i saw this thread i was imagining a link to a "hilarious" youtube video of someone playing Tool and singing in Mandarin

Seriously tho, I haven't ever used RS, but I do know that Mandarin is an extremely tricky language. And is apparently best learnt the old fashioned way (i.e. a live environment), with somebody who is fluent listening/correcting/etc. because the pronunciations are so tricky for a Westerner to get their head around. A friend at uni tried to teach me, and she just ended up laughing hysterically at me because what i thought i was saying was some way wide of what i was actually saying.

Apologies if me calling you a Westerner is wide of the mark
    There's only one system. Bet. Lose. Borrow. Steal. Lose. Take the drugs. Lose. Prison. Death.
    I figure I will eventually have to get live lessons with an instructor but I don't think it would hurt to get a listening foundation down. I'm also going to be recording myself through a mic and playing it back.
    LOL OPERATIONS