Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Insane bad beat

Default Insane bad beat

This is the shit I am having to deal with today, terrible day at the tables, just have to laugh at hands like this haha
    Think I played the hand quite well too, if there is anything I could have done differently here please feel free to let me know

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
    Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $1.03 (51.5 bb)
    Hero (BB): $1.29 (64.5 bb)
    UTG+1: $2.22 (111 bb)
    UTG+2: $2.83 (141.5 bb)
    MP1: $0.92 (46 bb)
    MP2: $2.58 (129 bb)
    MP3: $2.35 (117.5 bb)
    CO: $0.77 (38.5 bb)
    BTN: $2.09 (104.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K K
    UTG+1 calls $0.02, 6 folds, SB raises to $0.06, Hero raises to $0.16, UTG+1 folds, SB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.34) K 2 A (2 players)
    SB bets $0.24, Hero raises to $0.70, SB calls $0.46

Turn: ($1.74) A (2 players)
    SB bets $0.17 and is all-in, Hero calls $0.17

River: ($2.08) A (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $2.08 pot ($0.07 rake)
    Final Board: K 2 A A A
    SB showed T A and won $2.01 ($0.98 net)
    Hero showed K K and lost (-$1.03 net)
    Last edited by MrFerguson91; 01-06-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Strategy
    Hey man,

Generally speaking, it's considered exceptionally rude to complain about bad beats and the like to other poker players. I know it's a major pain in the ass when it happening, especially when it's happening several times in a row in a short period of time, but you're going to be much better off if you just take a break from the game (even for the rest of the day) and do something else that will make you happy.

With that having been said, I do have a question. Do you normally not top off your stack?
    Ah now I feel bad for posting this, new to all of this sorry
    I normally do yeah but I don't have it on Auto and sometimes I forget, I know there are settings in PS to do it automatically I just haven't gotten round to turning it on, what would you recommend setting it too?
    I'll let you know when I see your reply then if you could delete the thread I would appreciate it lol
    Having said all this, your "bad beat" is fairly common.
    Tough luck, nh. Take a break and try again.
    Thanks Goin to have a break until tomorrow and try again
    3bet bigger pre (.20)and then just stick him all in on the flop.

generally we advise to have auto topup set to 100bb. only differences would be if shallow tables or deep tables are being played
    Ok I will set it to 100bb thanks Keith, can you explain your reasons for the All in on the flop? To possibly force a fold? Or other reasons
    the flop pot will be bigger from raising bigger pre so his flop bet will be bigger and by the time you raise his flop bet those 18 cents he had left behind will now be all in the middle. you are pot committed anyway withthe raise you made and let him call with his Ax before a flush card or TJQ comes on the turn and scares him off
    Beats happen, but well done for asking if there was anything you could have done differently.

Is it a bad beat for villain? Would you go broke with ATo here for 50bb? How about 100bb?
    Keith would you recommend most 3bets bein (0.20+) at 2nl? Or does the 2bet size be a factor in the 3bet size? I usually try to make my 3bets 3x the size of villains 2bet, in this case I am 0.02 short for some reason lol
    Yeah The Bean Counter I will just suck it up next time and move on haha. Thanks

Villain had nice luck there, but if I was in that position the A10o would have been folded preflop, for me it's not strong enough to be playing in the sb
    Last edited by MrFerguson91; 01-06-2015 at 08:09 PM.
    micro players have a big leak in calling too much in general and not folding to 3bets particularly. THis guy is half stacked so likely to be a fish ( note how inferences will be applied to your stack size) . Bet size is influenced by a number of factors , if you're going to be out of position i generally make it 4x, but if the initial raise is small , i tend to go a multiple of a normal raise rather than a multiple of a small raise simply to make villains make a mistake calling by calling when they didn't have the correct odd and price to call.IF they call 3bets and fold flop often get a bit more while they are calling the 3bet.
    As a general rule, you should keep your stack topped up to whatever the max buy-in is at the table. Chips are your tools of the trade in poker. You wouldn't want to show up to work with 1/2 your tools, would you?

The idea is that if you want to bet more, you need to have the chips in front of you. If you don't want to bet more, you just have to fold.

The deeper your stack, the more potential you have to place more bets of greater value. Placing bets is where you win or lose in poker, but you're here at FTR, so if you're not winning now, you will be by the end of the week.
    Yeah I see that now haha I have my auto top up on now anyway

Chips are your tools of the trade in poker. You wouldn't want to show up to work with 1/2 your tools, would you? Great way of putting it lol
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Placing bets is where you win or lose in poker, but you're here at FTR, so if you're not winning now, you will be by the end of the week.
    Have learned so much already lol It reminds me of school, except I care about this, school I never haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    micro players have a big leak in calling too much in general and not folding to 3bets particularly. THis guy is half stacked so likely to be a fish ( note how inferences will be applied to your stack size) . Bet size is influenced by a number of factors , if you're going to be out of position i generally make it 4x, but if the initial raise is small , i tend to go a multiple of a normal raise rather than a multiple of a small raise simply to make villains make a mistake calling by calling when they didn't have the correct odd and price to call.IF they call 3bets and fold flop often get a bit more while they are calling the 3bet.
    Thanks mate, good stuff, no matter what villain bets then, still raise her up to about 0.20 etc, if I was 3betting.

Is there any situation where a limp can be justified? Or should I always stick to the same bets each time if I want to play the hand?
    I seem to be the only person posting in this section as well would be nice to see some other people posting as often, so I could see what problems others are having at the same level. Makes me think that this place is just full of serious grinders lol not many beginners by the looks of things, or else they all have nothing to ask haha it's good to get an answer to everything I am asking though
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFerguson91 View Post
    I seem to be the only person posting in this section as well would be nice to see some other people posting as often, so I could see what problems others are having at the same level. Makes me think that this place is just full of serious grinders lol not many beginners by the looks of things, or else they all have nothing to ask haha it's good to get an answer to everything I am asking though
    Take a look at the Small Stakes forum, most people at your stakes are posting hands here...

http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...kes-nl-hold-em
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Nice one mate thanks