Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

A Song of Ice and Fire ***MAJOR SPOILERS from a game of thrones up to TWOW***

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    finishing reread 5. Release the god damn books gurm.
    Want to troll the tv watchers so bad

RELEASE THE KRAKEN, RICKON INCOMING, etc.
    where the bloody fuck was stoneheart
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    My predictions for what big things will get cut down the road:

1) most of arya and the hound's adventures
    2) all non-essential iron islands stuff, no damphair, no kingsmoot. Balon will just die and Euron will take over and send Victarion to get Dany.
    3) quentyn martell's entire story. The harpies will probably release Dany's dragons on meereen.
    4) most of aegon's stuff will be excised, he'll probably just start randomly showing up wreaking havoc on the stormlands, and tyrion will probably instantly fall in Jorah's hands as soon as he steps off of Varys's boat.
    5) the entire brienne subplot in affc.

This is all keeping in mind that they intend to conclude the series in 7 seasons which is an absurd notion. I think its too early to completely determine that the series has jumped the shark, but I don't have faith in the screenwriter of Troy (one of the worst big budget pictures of all time) and X-Men Wolverine (the worst big budget picture of all time) to manage sweeping changes to George R.R. Martin's story with any semblance of grace.

Last edited by Renton; 06-10-2013 at 03:59 AM.
    Lame, I really wanted at least the defense of castle black :/

I guess these scenes were all needed...but even still...it could have ended with un-cat.
    these fucking writers do not understand stannis at all.

also i concur with renton on there being almost 0 cinematography and directing as well.

who the fuck is this guy and why is he getting to play o martell.

if he screws up one of my favorite chapters in the series i will forever hate d and b
    I'm not worried. Whatever they do I'll hate at first and then like the next time I see it.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Really thought they were going to go with dark skin for the Dornish. Regardless of his skin complexion for some reason whenever I read gouty Doran Martell I envisioned the guy who plays Arnold Rothstein in Boardwalk Empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    Really thought they were going to go with dark skin for the Dornish. Regardless of his skin complexion for some reason whenever I read gouty Doran Martell I envisioned the guy who plays Arnold Rothstein in Boardwalk Empire.

Same here, GRRM painted me a picture of the Dornish being olive skin mediterraneans
    These books are deep and detailed and I think I did a disservice to myself by blowing through them so fast. But like with that link that pulled apart and pieced back together The Wire, I do enjoy these excellent essays as much as reading the books proper.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>

THE WHITE BOOK

?wut
    jism
    https://vine.co/v/h3j0E330FvQ

ELIA OF DORNE!

all the vines for the s4 previews.

https://vine.co/GameofThrones

?wut
    nope not a 14 foot spear, not one at all
    April.
    if they cast kevin mckidd as jon con and ray stevenson as victarion i would be so happy

?wut
    Romeboner
    my bad @_@
    Last edited by bikes; 02-05-2014 at 01:51 PM.

?wut
    spoiler tag that imo, i feel fairly spoiled
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
    So I just finished book 5. And im pretty fucking mad.

Book 5 Spoilers, in spoiler tags just in case someone was reading a full screen sized thread and their eyes wandered.

Spoiler:
    They killed John Snow!!!??? WTF OMG NO QQ. I hope hes alive, and he just had some kind of death vision or something. Im going to be so mad if hes actually dead. Ramsay has to be lying about killing Stannis right? Theon was with Stannis, so if Ramsay really defeated him then he'd know where Theon was.
    Spoiler:
    I'm not worried about John. My prediction is it will finally be revealed that he is actually Ned's nephew and has King's blood. The red priestess will save him.

Stannis has me worried though. I hope the message is a fake, or at least mistaken. I thought that Theon was going to show him the backdoor into Winterfell. Then the armies would have missed each other in the night. That would leave Stannis defending Winterfell instead of attacking it.

all clean screen caps from the trailers

?wut
    Good god that foreshadowing episode is ridiculously spoiley.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comme...ptured_a_lion/

release another book grrm. if i have to read another one of these reddit tinfoil threads i may crack

?wut
    Nothing makes me want to read these books again more than these.

And they get so much better.

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comme...rectly_to_the/
    I'm reading AFFC for the second time. Pure torture. It's little exaggeration to say that *nothing* happens.
    WAT

AFFC IS LIKE 2nd favorite book!

?wut
    Masochist.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes View Post
    WAT

AFFC IS LIKE 2nd favorite book!
    But have you read it twice?
    FCK OFF TYRION CHAPTERS FROM TWOW WHERE IS JON CON?

?wut

?wut
    WHICH CHAPTERS AND BOOK DID I MISS ON MY REREREREREREREREADS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

?wut
    GEORGE WRITE FASTER

?wut
    I don't know if you read any of the released chapters but they're mostly about Margaery's nipples. Fat dude has lost it.
    I'm rereading Feast. I think Gyles Rosby is the most effective comic relief in the series. I'm pretty sure he's never mentioned without mentioning his cough. I am enjoying the reread, but it's still hard to defend Feast IMO. I think all the chapters are enjoyable and its not THAT fillery, but it seems like these chapters could have been spread throughout Storm and Dance to greater effect. If I had read Feast when it first came out and had to wait an additional six years for Dance, I think I would have gone insane.
    strong belwas shouldn't have let hbo cut him imo!

?wut
    going to be another great joy in life when the mountain makes the comeback win outta left field to crush more hearts

?wut
    Yeah I honestly think Mountain>Oberyn was the most soul crushing thing I read in the books. The red wedding was bad but it was portended a dozen times in the text. There was absolutely nothing to suggest that Oberyn was going to lose that duel.

The show is doing a pretty good job as presenting Oberyn as someone who is likely to stick around for a few seasons so I think this will be one of the few things they don't screw up.

That said, I don't understand why they chose to unveil the trial by combat in this way. It makes Tyrion look more like a desperate idiot, when book-Tyrion's decision was calculated; he knew Oberyn would champion him ahead of time and that choosing the combat would hurt House Lannister no matter the result.
    YOUR SISTER WTH IS THIS?

?wut
    i also hated that she screamed. her silence was equally iconic.

?wut
    Sigh, even they had to realize that only cat was a better line, they just deferred to your sister because the bovine section of the Audience doesn't have the attention span to remember her name.
    two weeks until the next ep. memorial day sends its regards

?wut
    Duel will be epic.

TV-only fans will be devastated.

This next episode just about finishes off any future knowledge I have.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    I haven't been happy with how the Daenerys-Jorah storyline has been playing out for a couple seasons now. It was destined to be mucked up ever since they re-introduced Selmy, but meh.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    PYP! GRENN OH GOD WHY

?wut
    Books were better.

?wut
    http://www.idigitaltimes.com/article...rtin-event.htm

Some weaksauce speculation but we can hope!
    http://winteriscoming.net/2014/07/25...n-5-announced/

i like the high septon and doran martell.

?wut
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    Jon is almost certainly not dead but he might be dead in the sense that he's no longer a POV character (i.e. Catelyn). Either he'll warg somehow or/and Melisandre will rez him. He's too important to her visions for anything else to happen. Also, we haven't seen the true reveal of Jon's parents and what will hinge from that. I suspect that will emerge either from Bran's greenseeing or it is already happening behind the scenes as Robb had sent a letter legitimizing Jon as his heir to Greywater Watch and Howland Reed.

It's probable IMO that Jon's death in the NW mutiny will be his analog to Dany's funeral pyre that hatched her dragons.

What follows is long range speculation about Jon based on prophecy:

Spoiler:
    Assuming Jon's parents are Lyanna and Rhaegar (practically a lock at this point, I'd bet 10,000 to 1,000 on it), the Undying pretty clearly predicts a Jon/Dany romance. The bit about "bride of fire" is preceded by three visions, one which pretty obviously points to her marriage to Drogo, one that is pretty cryptic but seems to represent Victarion, and one where she sees a "blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness." This vision not only locks it up that Jon Snow is Lyanna's child, but also makes a clear link between Dany and Jon, probably a romance.

Also, Rh'llor seems to be making a large connection between Stannis and Jon. I'm thinking that Mel may use/betray Stannis in some way to help Jon, sacrificing his king's blood to revive Jon as Azor Ahai in smoke and salt for example.
    Finished the books finally and doing some extensive catchup to all the bookreader knowledge stuff, but want to stop and say THIS!

Zero percent chance Snow is dead. I forget when in the books I came to this, but I'm picking Dany's "betrayed for blood" prophecy to be Snow sinking Lightbringer into her belly just like the original Azor Ahai. Maybe the twist would be that Dany is still Azor Ahai but since there's always a twist to prophecy, it's her blood that brings the salvation, not her living actions

Also Snow died way too easily, which means he's not dead. Every time a significant character has died, it has been made clear. And several times GRRM has alluded to deaths yet in later books find out they didn't happen. I think this is all just misdirection and Snow either doesn't die or is rebirthed in a stony salty way by Melisandre. Joke about plot armor, but he's got it. Otherwise there is no reason for Melisandre having visions of Jon when she thinks she should be having visions of Stannis. Also Jeor's raven would be pointless. He clearly called Snow "king king king" and the other stuff involving him needing to be Lord Commander instead of the Stark of Winterfell.
    I'd suggest reading back through all the prophesies now that you've finished the books. The undying prophecies and the ghost of high heart in particular have a lot of interesting things to say.
    Reading them now. From one of your links, Snow's dream in GoT (only book I haven't read, but will start soon)

“I’m walking down this long empty hall...opening doors, shouting names...the castle is always empty...the stables are full of bones. That always scares me. I start to run, then, throwing open doors, climbing the tower three steps at a time, screaming for someone, for anyone. And then I find myself in front of the door to the crypts. It’s black inside, and I can see the steps spiraling down. Somehow I know I have to go down there, but I don’t want to. I’m afraid of what might be waiting for me...I scream that I’m not a Stark, that this isn’t my place, but it’s no good, I have to go down anyway, so I start down, feeling the walls as I descend, with no torch to light the way. It gets darker and darker, until I want to scream...that’s when I always wake.”

I think this means he has to die and be reborn
    Do we know the full cast list for s5? If so, holy balls so much is going to be cut out
    I'm like a million percent positive Mirri Maz Duur was not the betrayal for blood. That shit's too obvious. All three betrayals will have to come as major surprises to Dany and will probably be back to back. She'll think they're all done then they'll hit, and they may doom her
    Dunno, haven't heard anything about Victarion/Euron though, which is worrying. I don't think the II stuff is the most compelling parts of the book, but clearly the greyjoys have a major role to play in GRRM's narrative.
    These are all so so awesome. I'm about halfway through his videos. Some of the stuff is really spot on (like who wrote the pink letter), but a lot seems way too good to be true. Still very interesting and plausible

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXU...Wd6tAHYO8g9vAA
    Hey Renton, what was the thing you said the show spoiled the bookreaders on? I can't seem to figure it out, except maybe Jojen dying. But I don't consider that much of a spoiler I guess.

Speaking of which, I'm about a million percent positive Jon will warg into Ghost. And it will happen in the s5 finale. Possibly even his revival will happen before the season ends. I suspect only a small handful of storylines will not be ahead of the books by this time next year
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Hey Renton, what was the thing you said the show spoiled the bookreaders on? I can't seem to figure it out, except maybe Jojen dying. But I don't consider that much of a spoiler I guess.

Speaking of which, I'm about a million percent positive Jon will warg into Ghost. And it will happen in the s5 finale. Possibly even his revival will happen before the season ends. I suspect only a small handful of storylines will not be ahead of the books by this time next year
    Spoiler:
    Night's King
    Why spoiler tag that? Nobody knows any spoilers here.
    An overabundance of caution.
    Spoiler:
    nights king
    jojen
    omitting arianne and qyn martell. no vict or euron.

they flat out say ser robert strong is ungregor.

things of that nature

?wut
    But I can't find the spoiler tags
    Apparently the word on the streets is that the NK is somebody else
    My guess is he's the Great Other or something not even in the books. But I don't even know what the Great Other is yet, just that he's been mentioned
    I love so much of the speculation on reddit. That alone makes the books better than the show. I think my favorite is Bolt-on. There's no way it's what GRRM's doing, but it's so cool
    half of /r/asoiaf i think to myself. we really need another fucking book.

?wut
    I need some Jojen Paste!
    Jojen paste is one of my favorite theories.
    grand northern conspiracy probably one of my favorites. followed by tyrion is secret targ.

?wut
    Part of me wants GRRM to discard everything he planned for the books and just use as many of the reddit theories he can. They're just so sinister and detailed. I mean, c'mon, Varys being Illyrio's wife and Aegon their kid would be too ridiculously fun
    A theory of mine is that after Dany "passes beneath the shadow", she'll learn that Asshai'i have traveled the Sunset Sea to Westeros, and that must be her path. Pretty sure there's a passage in the book about Asshai'i goods at the Shadow Tower, which strongly suggests it had to have come from the Sunset Sea. Because no Westerosi has traversed the Sunset Sea and told the tale, I quite like the Dragon invading from it
    Here's my guess about the purpose of the Greyjoys: Euron has secretly converted to R'hllor and has sent Victarion to his doom when he spellbinds a dragon and thus enrages Dany and receives her greatest wrath. Euron knows this is what will get Dany to come to Westeros. She won't travel west because there will be too many ships blockading. She'll travel beneath the shadow and across the Sunset Sea, landing first at the Iron Islands with the intention of full vengeance and turning them to ash.
    you do know the greyjoy fleet is split between being in mereen and fucking shit up in the reach right?

?wut
    more importantly there is no royal fleet as good ole waters is gonna be supporting aegon VI

?wut