Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Microstakes question

Unhappy Microstakes question

Hello everyone, it's my first time on a poker forum so im sorry if i do something wrong, i play on stars on microlimit and i have a hand that i can't get out of my head from last night....

i was late position CO exactly with AQo and everybody folded and 1 limper i made a raise of 4BB and big blind and the limpers called, the flop came 8 A 2 rainbow big blind and limper check to me i made a pot size raise limper folded and the big blind call, the next card is 2 and big blind again check to me, i make another raise of the pot size he call me, the next card is J big blind again check to me and i go all in for the rest of my chips which was under the pot size he call me and he show 52o....

All i want to know i did something wrong? What was my mistake if it was?
    Any reads on the players involved? stack sizes?
    assuming no reads and 100bb stacks.
    preflop looks good.
    You flop top pair 2nd kicker and are checked to, betting here is good. Pot seems on the big side on such a dry board, but is ok. Turn, barrel is also good. River J is interesting. Identify hands that are calling a shove here that are plausible based on the action up until this point. How many of them do you beat? how many of them beat you? What hands would you have played this way up until the river? meh, hand is fine without reads. You probably bet the flop and turn a little too big, but whatever. Don't stress it.
    Play looks ok, especially in the micros stakes, you should value bet them to death, but i am no cash gamer, unlucky second deuce and his crap hand wins, maybe check on the river back, because he often calls if he beats you, but they love for instance baby aces and you get value here

Default bet size

i bet that big for 3 main reasons: 1 for value 2 to give bad odds to people with draws and 3 when you bet this big people seems to think is a bluff, they think you have missed the flop and you just want to steal the pot right there so they call you with all sort of hands, that i think was happend with that 52o too....
    In the long run they have -ev with their 52o LOL. Don´t give up.
    And in the original post you meant betting instead of raising, right?
    Make a note, raise in position against his big blind with a wide range of value hands, and value bet top pair vs this muppet at pot size in future. You lost this pot but the information you learned about him is worth a lot more if you play a lot of hands vs him. He sucks, exploit him.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    You're going to have to get used to this kind of shit happening at the micros. The good news is the 2nd 2 comes out so rarely that you're printing money in the long run. Once you move up the stakes, you'll miss these kind of donkeys so badly it hurts.
    PS: when you open the betting, it's a bet and not a raise. Loads of new players call it a raise, but when you think about it, it makes no sense calling it that. A raise is when somebody else bets and you increase that bet in your response.
    There are many players on that level that call with anything being the BB, and when they hit something they can't release. Normally, the way you played this they should be aware that there is a good chance that you have the A, and your bet on the Flop should get a hand like that gone. You just ran into the wrong player, unlucky.
    The Time To Act Is Now...
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Make a note, raise in position against his big blind with a wide range of value hands, and value bet top pair vs this muppet at pot size in future. You lost this pot but the information you learned about him is worth a lot more if you play a lot of hands vs him. He sucks, exploit him.
    Yeah, you want to be against players like this in the long run even though sometimes it is painful in the short run.
    you will miss these fish s you limb the stakes bro.

learn how to you th hand converter here on ftr it makes it so much easier to comment on your hand. and get yourself a pokertrack