Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Help a computer noob

Default Help a computer noob

Ok so here's the situation: I'm having a problem with the wireless router/modem/gateway thing that my cable company gave me. I've been trying to play Halo 3 on Xbox Live but I keep getting disconnected. Sometimes I can play one match and then I get disconnected, other times, it drops me while the map is loading. I've looked around on various forums and lots of people with the router model I have are having the same problem. So I went on Microsoft's website and apparently the gateway I have is not compatible with XBox Live.

So I called up Charter (my cable company) and the guy told me that I have to bring my gateway thing into their store. Oh yeah, apparently it's a gateway so I guess it's a router and modem in one. So the guy on the phone didn't know too much about it but he said the people at the store might be able to give me a compatible router and they might not be able to. So if they don't I might have to go buy one from Best Buy or something.

So my plan is that if they can't give me a compatible router or modem, I'm planning on going to Best Buy and buying a router and modem myself. My question is that if I buy a cable modem, will any cable modem that I buy work with my cable internet connection.? Also, if I buy like a lyksis router or something, it will give me wireless internet right? Also, a router like this: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G...1543484&sr=8-4
    will only give me wireless right if I had a modem correct? Like that wouldn't function as both a modem and a router correct?
    I don't know about Cable Router's but the priniple is the same ... in the Access settings you should be able to "Port Forward" many manfacturers have standard settings for adding things like you need.

Or you could try adding your X-Box Mac Address to the access control.

Make sure you don't have any metal or concrete obstructions between your X-Box and WiFi Router that should stop the dissconects.

Sorry but I would need a lot more information to help you.
    Make Model of the Router etc
    Looks like someone deleted my post yesterday, but I do it again anyway!!!!!

YOU ARE THE WORST AZN EVER
    LOL OPERATIONS
    It's not a wireless connection w/ the xbox. The xbox is wired directly to the gateway. The reason I have wireless is for my laptop, both my Desktop and xbox are on wired connections. I've tried all that port forwarding stuff and UPnP or w/e and I've already determined that it's just that my gateway in incompatable with Xbox Live. I'm going to the charter store now, trip report to follow.
    Well I traded in my piece of shit gateway for a normal cable modem. It costs $10/month to rent that piece of shit as opposed to only $3 for the cable modem. Then I just went to Best Buy and bought a cheap Linksys wireless router for $50. Got home, set it up in 5 mins and everything is working great, I've been playing Halo 3 w/o a disconnect for 2 hours. And since I'm saving $7 per month, the router will pay for itself after 8 months. I'm awesome.
    That's pretty cool I guess. Any word on your old 360?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    My friend is buying it, otherwise I'd sell it to you for $1000
    Muwahhhh .... great news and WTG man