Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

how to deal with a douche supervisor?

Default how to deal with a douche supervisor?

anyways so just started a new job, and it's been 2 weeks. for those who don't know i'm a programmer.

i've been having a bit of clash of egos with my supervisor and i need help!

my old work was a small company where i was allowed to grow, and by the end i was somewhat a senior programmer. for my new job i applied as an intermediate software engineer (because i'm just a new grad with 3 years experience)

needless to say, i didn't get very much help. on my first day i had to set up my own computer. also, i spent more time at my new job learning the system and getting stuff to work than actually coding. sure sure, this is all standard stuff for a new job, but i had to do everything on my own. i got next to no help, if at all.

my first project was a really simple one, where it only took me 2 or 3 hours to implement. and a whole week to integrate with the preexisting system. if someone spent 2 or 3 hours of their time and sat me through that process i woulda finished my project a week ago.

and then comes to my supervisor. i asked him a question on msn today on a specific library that we're using, and what would happen for some special situation.

his answer was "don't waste your time doing this. i don't even know why it's useful."

i reply, "it's very useful. this other library from microsoft uses it all over the place."

he replies, "we don't want your old expertise. unlearn everything and learn from me or other senior developers here."

i reply, "i just want to understand what i'm using so i can write good and stable code. everything useful has drawbacks also and i want to know of them beforehand."

he replies, "there are many ways to do the same thing. do it how i tell u to do."

i reply, "ok"

----

the above more or less is the gist of the email exchanges. the actual exchange was obviously more formal and technical, but the general message is intact.

i'm sure this isn't new for some of you. i think my supervisor might feel threatened by me, or not. in any case, i don't think he had a good reason not to answer my initial question. like, if it's an ego thing, well i just stroked his by asking him for advice. but instead he shot me down.

soooo...the question is....how do i move up in this company, when my immediate supervisor isn't going to be very helpful?

and no, quitting is not a solution (for now anyways...)
    when i dont respect a boss/teacher i generally let it be known to them and try to make it so they are accommodating my wants and needs.

is that manipulative?
    Cash Rules Everything Around Me.
    ok...how do you do that without risking your job?
    well they have to be generally weak individuals. if hes the type who when feels threatened he lashes out at you and is a total prick theres not much you can do. if hes the type that will try to appease you, then you can have your way with him.
    i dont get the impression at all that he feels threatened by you, but that he feels a number of other ways. such as he has a very strong opinion about the way or his way of doing things. he could stubbornly feel he knows best or he could actually know best yet have terrible people/teaching/illustration skills.

the best you can do is be cooperative, reliable, and enjoyable. those are three of the top virtues found in the type of people we all want to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy
    the best you can do is be cooperative, reliable, and enjoyable. those are three of the top virtues found in the type of people we all want to work with.
    dont listen to this conformist man, gotta stick with the darkness man.
    Doesn't sound like he's threatened by you. He may well think very little of you (hence his replies) or he may be wanting an easy life (hence his replies) or he may be actually trying to help (hence his replies).

Not much help, I know, but we're not there, you are. Guess you need more to go on than this one discussion before you can make a judgement. Good luck though.
    maybe ask someone for help with the system?
    He's not threatened by you, he's just a bad manager. If you don't agree with what he says, do what he tells you, but make sure his directions are recorded as coming from him. Like keep the email he sends you. And print out a copy and take it home. Just so you can cover your ass if he tries to blame something on you when he gets in shit which is almost a given with his management style.

I've dealt with these guys for years and this is the smoothest way possible. Fighting with them does nothing but make things harder on you.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    I agree with wufwugy completely regarding this.

Call me Mr. Thanksfornothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos
    He's not threatened by you, he's just a bad manager. If you don't agree with what he says, do what he tells you, but make sure his directions are recorded as coming from him. Like keep the email he sends you. And print out a copy and take it home. Just so you can cover your ass if he tries to blame something on you when he gets in shit which is almost a given with his management style.

I've dealt with these guys for years and this is the smoothest way possible. Fighting with them does nothing but make things harder on you.
    This, basically word for word.

Thank you for typing this out so I didn't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos

This is possibly the best advice ever. It is so easy for an asshole manager to shit talk you when something goes bad because they told you the wrong thing. But if you have evidence proving what they said to you, you are golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhappy333
    I didn't think its Bold to bang some chick with my bro. but i guess so... thats +EV in my book.
    Agreed. Document everything. Bcc yourself on every email and save it in a segregated email folder.
    "Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then you are a mile away, and have his shoes." - Anon.
    suck it up, do it his way and do as you're told, you're still on probation
    until you know where the bodies are buried you just have to wait for the re org.
    ugh....ok....
    so today i finished my project. so i have nothing to do. one of my side project was to write up a report, but it wasn't high priority.

i send an email with the report, starting with "had some spare time...so i did this report"

he replies back with "i went over the report and it's impressive. however i don't like this 'spare time' at the beginning. we will talk tomorrow"

how do i tell him that it's not possible for me to do work when i run out of work? and i even emailed him another email saying i'm done, what do i do next.
    wat
    You have side projects to do, yes? Is this not what you should be doing if the regular workload isn't there?

I don't see the problem. You're all emo about this.
    yeah, i ran out of main shit to do, so i do side shit, and now i'm done side shit. and somehow i get in trouble for that. seriously wtf.
    rule #1 - never complain about a lack of work
    how are you paid?

hourly
    salary
    comission
    bonuses for projects

who is paying you?

llisten to zook and galapogos
    Quote Originally Posted by flomo

listen to the dark side, let the hate flow through you
    fyp
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by flomo
    how are you paid?

hourly
    salary
    comission
    bonuses for projects

who is paying you?

llisten to zook and galapogos
    salary, once every 2 weeks. company is paying me. my supervisor reports to a manager, and that person runs the entire department. the manager was the guy who hired me.

and yes, my supervisor probably has bad communication skills. he is much more approachable in person, but every time he emails it's so fucking condescending it's annoying.

ok...
    1) have everything logged. check. thank you gmail.
    2) never complain about no work. will do. guess this new job has no room for humor.

anything else?
    one more suggestion to go with the good ones that you have already received.

If you do run out of projects and arean't comfortable with just sitting around doing nothing, then instead of asking "what do I do now" send an e-mail with a list of things that YOU would like to work on and say something like "Unless you have something you would rather me do I will start working on one of these things." Then, he either has to give you something better to do or let you do what you have suggested.

In other words, don't just sit around waiting for him to tell you what to do, but also don't just do something without letting him know what you are working on. It is his job to re-prioritize your work.
    Poker is easy, it's winning at poker that's hard.
    Don't overreact to meaningless crap and don't be so casual in your business communications. He fucking complimented you on your report, but it's your bad that you said you had some 'spare time'. He may like more formal, professional internal communication. What if he had to forward that report to someone else? It's up to you to adapt to his style. Act like you're working at IBM until you find out what is considered acceptable and what isn't.
    Get used to egotistical dickwads who want everything done their way cause their way is the best way in the whole wide world. You're dealing with programmers dude. These are people who were made fun of for a good chunk of their life while going through school. When they get into the work force and get some seniority they finally have a chance to assert themselves. Dangerous indeed.

I'm also a programmer y'see. I know the type well. Not every programmer is like this, but enough of em' are.

Don't rock the boat too much when you're new. Just go with the flow, and eventually as you're accepted in, you can start suggesting new methodologies you've learned in previous jobs. Ease into it. Nobody likes the new know it all guy who wants to change everything (even if they're right).