Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Operation: Caddie444's Mission to Exploit

Default Operation: Caddie444's Mission to Exploit

Well all I can say is that its about time I started one of these.

My Poker History: I started off like most everyone with SNG's, became instantly hooked but sucked. Then found FTR, learned a lot, played a lot, I grinded up through $3.25 6-max SNG's, then $6.50's, then eventually $16's. Turned $100 into like $3000 within a year @ Uni and withdrew to buy a car (but kept $100 in pokerstars account)

After this I grinded it back up to about $1200 playing SNG's, same way I did last time. I experienced what I considered to be sick variance (although it is standard) of -64 buyin's in EV one month I decided I would make the switch to cash for a while. Upon having played it recently I find that although it is definitely more of a grind, there is more skill than SNG's and figure if I apply myself I can show good results. I conquered 10nl, and am currently aiming to play 50k hands with a solid winrate of 6max 25nl, of which I have played ~40k hands. (3PTBB/100 winnar so far)

Like most everyone here I was totally engulfed and intrigued by the game when I first started playing. I really do have a passion for it, and am extremely competitive.

This OP is to help me keep track of my progress up to my goal of being roll'd for 200nl (50 buyins)

My Strengths:

* Hand reading
    * Controlling pot size
    * Recognizing player habits
    * Getting multiple streets of Value with strong hands

Weaknesses:

* Always thinking villains are at the top of their range WHEN THEY CHECK?? (So, non-nuttish hand value betting)
    * Aggression pre-flop
    * Am a calling station at times
    * Dealing with light 3 bettors IP & OOP
    * Emotions- though I don't really tilt in the sense that I spew money, my emotions after suffering bad beats run rampant, need to learn to be indifferent

Goals:

Short-term:

[x] Play 15k more hands at 25nl
    [x] study how to exploit light 3 bettors IP & OOP
    [x] Learn about SPR (have never actually studied this)
    [x] Goldstar in December

Long-term:

[x] Make it to 50nl ----> already roll'd
    [ ] Make it to 100nl ---> $4000
    [ ] Make it to 200nl ---> $10000

This OP is called "Mission to Exploit" because I truly believe that Poker is a game where exploiting your opponents hand range, tendencies, and mental state is much more important than the cards you hold.

LET THE EXPLOITATION BEGIN!
    Last edited by caddie444; 06-30-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Don't complain; Just work harder - Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture)
    I really like your title and introduction. Looks like you're on the right track. Best of luck, though that won't be really necessary since you are setting yourself up for success anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro2Macro
    I really like your title and introduction. Looks like you're on the right track. Best of luck, though that won't be really necessary since you are setting yourself up for success anyway.
    thanks M2M

You're Canadian too I see... not enough Canucks round here IMO

up, up, and away!
    enjoy the ride
    Well I've played like 7000 hands since Mon. Been 6 tabling 25nl 6-max. Been going well so far I guess. I've done some reviewing of my hands histories, during the session if I am not sure what to do in a situation I copy the HH to notepad so I can remember to review.

What did I learn? Well, for starters, I need to *&%$# fold to the super strong line villains take IP of calling my bet then min raising the turn, even if I have an overpair. Like these for example:

Hand 1: Villain is 50/30 over 90, and there is no way I'm good here

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($25.10)
    Button ($25.75)
    SB ($52.80)
    BB ($21.70)
    Hero (UTG) ($51.15)
    MP ($24.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with ,
    Hero bets $1, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, 3 folds

Flop: ($3.35) , , (3 players)
    Hero bets $2, MP calls $2, 1 fold

Turn: ($7.35) (2 players)
    Hero bets $4.25, MP raises to $8.50, Hero raises to $32.75, MP calls $12.70 (All-In)

River: ($49.75) (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $49.75 | Rake: $2.45

Results:
    Hero had Q, Q (two pair, Queens and tens).
    MP had 4, 4 (full house, fours over tens).
    Outcome: MP won $47.30

Hand 2: Villain just sat down, but his line screams strength I don't think I am good here enough to go with the hand, especially considering if he was drawing with 89 he just got there too... pretty much no excuse for this:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($16.50)
    BB ($5.30)
    UTG ($13.10)
    Hero (MP) ($32.75)
    CO ($25)
    Button ($24.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP with ,
    1 fold, Hero bets $1, 2 folds, SB calls $0.90, 1 fold

Flop: ($2.25) , , (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $1.75, SB calls $1.75

Turn: ($5.75) (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $3.75, SB raises to $7.50, Hero raises to $18, SB calls $6.25 (All-In)

River: ($33.25) (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $33.25 | Rake: $1.65

Results:
    SB had 6, 6 (full house, sixes over sevens).
    Hero had K, K (two pair, Kings and sevens).
    Outcome: SB won $31.60

How do we exploit these players? BY FOLDING! Anyways these situations came up later on in the sessions and I managed to make good folds I think. I know this is highly opponent dependent, and I am trying to do my best to take notes while I play.

I've made my own "Fish List" and try to search for those players on Stars and hopefully sit at their table with position. I always try to do my best with table selecting, and if I can't see where my money is coming within like 5-10 min I find another table.

I played for 5 hours tonight like it was nothing, seemed like only an hour, managed to get ~2700 hands in @ ~3.5 PTBB/100 so pretty happy, even though upon doing some review I realized I have big leaks I need to fill, 6-max is a completely different animal then FR. Will talk about those another day.

Alright well I'm almost at my first goal of playing 15k more hands @ 25nl, I have a few thousand more to go and then I will have a 50k sample @ 6-max

After some review I found out that I was losing a lot of money by just flatting raises from the blinds facing LP openers. I have since focused on either folding or 3-betting 4x their open from the blinds, and have found that it is obviously much more profitable then playing OOP without the initiative.

I was wondering though if there were any situations where flatting would be acceptable from say the bb facing a 20/15 button open. I'm thinking since the button has such a wide range it may be better to call hands that play poorly in 3-bet pots OOP, like Q-10, Q-J suited etc, I'm not really sure what hands are correct or if there are any at all to flat button raises with. Maybe will start a topic in the BC or something later.

Anyways here's a garph of today's session, played 3 hours 6-tabling but many were not full tables, I think I was actually playing "3-max" at like 3 tables for over an hour due to fishiness.

Some note-worthy hands I'm not gonna put in the converter:
    1) I 3-bet called a shove from sb with AQ vs maniac button's 10-10 and lost
    2) I 3-bet called shove from bb with 99 against even bigger maniac with J-3 from sb and lost
    3) Raised UTG with AQhearts and just called bb's donks on 3 streets on As-6h-5h-Kd-Kc he had 55

My favorite hand of the session, Villain was crazy maniac aggro:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (MP) ($25.35)
    Button ($26.50)
    SB ($21.45)
    BB ($52.65)
    UTG ($23.95)

1 fold, Hero bets $0.75, 2 folds, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.60) , , (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero bets $0.75, BB raises to $2.80, Hero calls $2.05

Turn: ($7.20) (2 players)
    BB bets $4.55, Hero calls $4.55

River: ($16.30) (2 players)
    BB bets $14, Hero raises to $17.25 (All-In), 1 fold

Total pot: $44.30 | Rake: $2

Second favorite hand, villain loves the min-bet:

Hero (BB) ($34.65)
    UTG ($42.75)
    MP ($25.85)
    CO ($31.55)
    Button ($30.90)
    SB ($18.30)

Preflop: Hero is BB with ,
    4 folds, SB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1) , , (2 players)
    SB bets $0.25, Hero raises to $1.50, SB raises to $2.75, Hero raises to $20, SB calls $15.05 (All-In)

Turn: ($36.60) (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($36.60) (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $36.60 | Rake: $1.80

He had

Finally, a hand where I think could use improvement, I really don't know what to think of this hand. I'm always confused when I get c/r'ed with overpairs on drawy boards. I had been 3 betting villain and taking down pots with c-bets, so I think he may have been getting fed up. I think the flop call of the c/r is OK... but I think I definitely should have bet the turn and maybe even folded the river. His line is just so weird though...

villain is playing like 83/17 over 150, but even players like these c/r usually means the goods.

BB ($20.45)
    UTG ($23.85)
    MP ($72.55)
    Hero (CO) ($26.50)
    Button ($32.85)
    SB ($32.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with ,
    1 fold, MP calls $0.25, Hero bets $1.25, 3 folds, MP calls $1

Flop: ($2.85) , , (2 players)
    MP checks, Hero bets $2, MP raises to $4, Hero calls $2

Turn: ($10.85) (2 players)
    MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($10.85) (2 players)
    MP bets $5.50, Hero calls $5.50

Total pot: $21.85 | Rake: $1.05

Overall this session I ran like 17/13, so probably nitty for 6-max. Still trying to limp less and 3-bet moar!

Well just had a crazy interesting session of ~2500 hands. Ran like 17/13.5 again, even though I've still been consciously trying to open more.

Anyway here's the garph:

Interesting hands:

1) Had 55 twice against aggro villain where I 4 bet shoved he called me two times both times with A-10, I won one lost one.
    2) Got AA and managed to get it in 3 way preflop with 2 villains having KK. One of the KK's almost made a flush to at least give me a sweat lol
    3) Got KK in against two villains with AK and 99 and the board ran out 6-6-3-5-9

Hand that tilted the hell out of me:

I always hate it when villains give you great odds pre with small 3 bets which make you flop the best hand but they suck out:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (Button) ($25)
    SB ($31.50)
    BB ($55.95)
    UTG ($8.40)
    MP ($49.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with ,
    2 folds, Hero bets $0.75, SB raises to $2, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.25

Flop: ($4.25) , , (2 players)
    SB bets $3, Hero raises to $8.25, SB raises to $29.50 (All-In), Hero calls $14.75 (All-In)

Turn: ($50.25) (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($50.25) (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $50.25 | Rake: $2

Results:
    Hero had Q, 10 (two pair, Queens and tens).
    SB had A, Q (two pair, Aces and Queens).
    Outcome: SB won $48.25

Here's a hand I think I did not play well. I had no idea of villains donking range strength, so I think this is really bad. Also, my raise on the turn should have been larger if I had chosen this line in order to make calling his shove easier. As it was gamboool obv I figured I had like 25% equity vs his range and though I knew I was taking slightly the worst of it (getting ~3:1) I was slightly tilted due to a previous hand and decided to call. This is easily fixed by raising turn larger, oh and ya not doing this sort of thing without info on his donking range strength {Acronym Renton hates}

UTG ($52.05)
    MP ($9.75)
    Hero (Button) ($27.75)
    SB ($25)
    BB ($23.05)

2 folds, Hero bets $0.75, SB calls $0.65, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.75) , , (2 players)
    SB bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20

Turn: ($4.15) (2 players)
    SB bets $2.40, Hero raises to $7, SB raises to $23.05 (All-In), Hero calls $16.05

River: ($50.25) (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $50.25 | Rake: $2

Results:
    Hero had 5, K (straight, eight high).
    SB had 8, 8 (three of a kind, eights).
    Outcome: Hero won $48.25

Seriously like the rake is insane I've paid $100 in rake for 5000 hands

Almost at Goldstar for December, hoping to get there tomorrow, another 5 hour session should do it

Ok Well I just played an absolutley mind numbing 4.5 hour session.. and am down $0.10

I started the first few hours quickly getting my overpairs busted, though I am sure I could have saved some substantial $$$ with the way I played them:

Quick examples:

1) Opened AA EP and got immediately raised on QQ8 flop by unknown, I c/r'ed all in on 10 turn and he had KQ
    2) Called a turn raise with 10-10 on 7-9-8-5 which I think was OK against the villain since he bet small but I paid off a small V-bet against 56 on the river
    3) 3-bet QQ in bb against button open and sb flat, to which sb called OOP, and folded to his pot sized donk on A-J-6

Ok this hand deserves its own HH, Villain is unknown:

SB ($25.85)
    BB ($30)
    UTG ($21.30)
    Hero (MP) ($46.30)
    CO ($48.25)
    Button ($45.15)

1 fold, Hero bets $1, 1 fold, Button calls $1, 1 fold, BB raises to $3.25, Hero raises to $8.50, 1 fold, BB calls $5.25

Flop: ($18.10) , , (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero bets $6, BB calls $6

Turn: ($30.10) (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero bets $16, BB calls $15.50 (All-In)

River: ($61.10) (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $61.10 | Rake: $2.95

Results:
    BB had 10, 10 (four of a kind, tens).
    Hero had A, A (two pair, Aces and tens).
    Outcome: BB won $58.15

FML

Here's two interesting hands which I got lucky on:

1) Villain here had a 22% 3-bet from the blinds. I figured I could get him to fold a lot of hands with my 4-bet, which was also essentially for value, and then on the flop having only a pot-sized bet I figured I could get loads of pairs to fold and figured he would ship AK on me preflop, so I shoved and got lucky.

MP ($25.70)
    Hero (Button) ($29)
    SB ($28.10)
    BB ($31.25)
    UTG ($25.35)

2 folds, Hero bets $1, SB raises to $3.25, 1 fold, Hero raises to $8.50, SB calls $5.25

Flop: ($17.25) , , (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $20.50 (All-In), SB calls $19.60 (All-In)

Turn: ($56.45) (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($56.45) (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $56.45 | Rake: $2

Results:
    Hero had Q, A (straight, Ace high).
    SB had Q, K (one pair, Kings).
    Outcome: Hero won $54.45

This hand had a special kind of villain. This guy literally, I mean never folded to a 3 bet, and he opened all hands from the button. I knew he wouldn't 3-bet me here if I opened, so I opted to get as much money in the pot preflop as I could with this hand. After he called my 3-bet, I pretty much hit my dream flop and shipped it being happy if he called or folded. Well he flopped the virtual nuts but I outdrew him.

Button ($31.20)
    SB ($47.65)
    BB ($13.85)
    UTG ($28.35)
    Hero (MP) ($44.70)
    CO ($27.60)

1 fold, Hero calls $0.25, 1 fold, Button bets $1, 2 folds, Hero raises to $4.25, Button calls $3.25

Flop: ($8.85) , , (2 players)
    Hero bets $30, Button calls $26.95 (All-In)

Turn: ($62.75) (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($62.75) (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $62.75 | Rake: $3

Results:
    Button had 5, 5 (three of a kind, fives).
    Hero had K, A (flush, Ace high).
    Outcome: Hero won $59.75

According to HEM I ran insanely well on AIEV, and I still only broke even, but I try not to think of that b/c I mean hands like this help, where I don't think I played it any other way than the way I did.

SB ($21.60)
    BB ($17.85)
    UTG ($32.90)
    MP ($30.70)
    Hero (Button) ($28.45)

1 fold, MP bets $0.75, Hero raises to $3, SB calls $2.90, 1 fold, MP calls $2.25

Flop: ($9.25) , , (3 players)
    SB checks, MP bets $11.50, Hero raises to $25.45 (All-In), 1 fold, MP calls $13.95

Turn: ($60.15) (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($60.15) (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $60.15 | Rake: $2

Results:
    Hero had A, Q (three of a kind, Queens).
    MP had 6, 4 (two pair, Queens and fours).
    Outcome: Hero won $58.15

Anyways, Got the Goldstar so yay!

Here's my month garph since I won't play any more this month.

Played ~29000 hands @ 2.6 PTBB/100 ($376.00) so not unhappy, though I feel I did leave a lot on the table in some spots.

Paid $630.00 in rake WTF? Seriously is that normal???

Think my redline needs work?

yah me too.

Am like 500 VPP's from clearing a $200 bonus and have ~17000 FPP's sitting around, not sure what to do with them.

I really think I should get my non-showdown winnings under control before I move to 50NL...hmmm

Anyways, to anyone who actually reads this thing have a happy drunken new years!

Okay well played 2 sessions this month and think I am playing decent, but came to the realization that I'm a HUGE station on the river. I mean when people bet large on the river they just aren't bluffing as much as I think they are:

Villain is a donk who plays too many marginal hands OOP:

CO ($25)
    Button ($31.70)
    SB ($21.35)
    BB ($26.95)
    UTG ($19.50)
    Hero (MP) ($49.25)

1 fold, Hero bets $1, 2 folds, SB calls $0.90, 1 fold

Flop: ($2.25) , , (2 players)
    SB bets $1, Hero raises to $4, SB calls $3

Turn: ($10.25) (2 players)
    SB bets $1, Hero calls $1

River: ($12.25) (2 players)
    SB bets $8, Hero calls $8

Total pot: $28.25 | Rake: $1.35

Results:
    SB had 3, 4 (flush, Queen high).
    Hero mucked K, K (two pair, Kings and twos).
    Outcome: SB won $26.90

I mean I don't really see how he plays any other hand than a flush like this, def should've folded the river... I make 5-6 calls like this a session I'm sure of it.

Anyways here's the month so far:

Going to seriously focus on that redline, ie looking for better spots to double barrel, play draws more aggressively etc

Ran bad for these hands, here's some higlights:

1) JJ<AK vs light 3-bettor from the BB vs my button open
    2) KK<KQ after villain called my preflop 4-bet and called my shove on flop of J-9-8
    3) 22<67spades after I called a loose UTG open and he bet/4bet-shoved on 2-Ks-Js
    4) 2 other flips where I had AK vs aggros and they had small pairs and we got it in pre

thinking of moving to FR when I move up to 50nl, that way I can multi-table and gain more FPP's. Though I do realize that this would totally stunt my growth as a player most likely...

Well I've come to recognizing a huge leak that isn't that hard to see when you look at my garphs. I tried to figure out how my non-showdown winnings could be so terrible since my VPIP/PFR stats seem to be ok, and my C-betting also seems to be ok after much review. So I started looking at hands where I did not have the initiative, and realized that I was calling WAY TOO MUCH. I remembered reading this article a while back:

http://www.pokerlistings.com/strateg...edline-article

and this particular part jumped out at me:

"For example: you raise in the cut-off and a tight opponent calls in the big blind. The flop comes:

If you choose to c-bet this, you should be firing a ton of turns and rivers because your opponent will rarely have a big hand.

He's going to be three-betting most overpairs preflop and he's going to be peeling one or more streets with hands like 88, 99, and AT. Of those hands, few if any are going to want to call three streets.

If you fire one or two barrels then give up when he bets the river, you're losing a bunch of money without showdown."

I had a little eureka moment and have been doing things like this as a result:

Villain is 18/13 and I realized he has a medium pair here like always:

Hero (UTG) ($51.65)
    MP ($25.35)
    CO ($32.50)
    Button ($44.85)
    SB ($28.10)
    BB ($25)

Hero bets $0.75, 3 folds, SB calls $0.65, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.75) , , (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $1.25, SB calls $1.25

Turn: ($4.25) (2 players)
    SB bets $2.50, Hero raises to $8, 1 fold

Total pot: $9.25 | Rake: $0.45

My default for this hand would have been to call his turn donk, and this was a huge reason for my falling redline.

Anyways, played a session today where I decided to implement a "RAISE OR FOLD, NEVER CALL" strategy

I know its extreme since there are clearly situations where calling is the correct play, and I still found myself doing it every now and again when I thought it was the best play, but I tried to make a conscious effort to not be a station.

Here's today's session:

My redline improved, and so did my aggression stats. I ran decent too which is good b/c I haven't been running well lately.

I also decided that I'm going to buy some things from the pokerstars Jan sale, prob the step tix and the $50 bonus. If you haven't seen it here's an FTR thread:

http://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...31-t91763.html

Bleh, down 3.5 buyins over the last 10k hands. Switched to FR and am liking it better as is seems to suit my nitty style.

I keep getting coolered, drawn out on etc etc, kind of sucks, I've lost 3 buyins from today alone where I was a 90% fav getting it all in on the turn and losing, all of them where I had the nut straight against two pair, it was actually crazy how similar the hands were.

Currently playing 9 tables of FR and finding it kind of boring but I'm not going to add anymore tables until I get a second monitor.

Half way to Goldstar for this month, and still @ 25nl.

Played a ~2700 hand session today where I again ran like absolute garbage, but really feel I am improving.

I've switched to 9 tabling 25nl FR and I am actually learning a lot even though some say it isn't possible when you are multi-tabling 4+ more tables.

I have really been focusing on not being a station and have switched my tactics in certain spots where I used to call and have been slowly learning how to raise in spots where my range is stronger than my opponent. (ie when they donk low flops, when scare cards hit the turn etc.) I have also been stretching my comfort zone by 3-betting more around the button and learning how to play 3-bet pots IP. I also take extensive notes which can be challenging while 9 tabling but it's necessary I feel.

I am doing a lot of self teaching through session reviews, although I am only really reviewing the make-or-break hands of the session (big pots won/lost) and figured its a good place to start.

Today I ran 11/9 with a 4.8% 3-bet (I'm usually at like 3%) and my Agr stat was 2.76, I'm normally at like ~2.

Here's the garph of today's session:

I can definitely say I tilted huge after this hand:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (UTG) ($48.40)
    UTG+1 ($25.90)
    MP1 ($25)
    MP2 ($25.05)
    CO ($25)
    Button ($25)
    SB ($35.25)
    BB ($25.70)

Hero bets $0.85, UTG+1 calls $0.85, 2 folds, CO calls $0.85, 1 fold, SB calls $0.75, 1 fold

Flop: ($3.65) , , (4 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $3, 1 fold, CO raises to $6, SB calls $6, Hero raises to $47.55 (All-In), CO calls $18.15 (All-In), SB calls $28.40 (All-In)

Turn: ($96.60) (3 players, 3 all-in)

River: ($96.60) (3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: $96.60 | Rake: $3

Results:
    SB had 8, 7 (flush, Ace high).
    Hero had A, A (three of a kind, Aces).
    CO had J, A (two pair, Aces and Jacks).
    Outcome: SB won $93.60

Thing is CO is a super nit so I knew I had him crushed... I remember throwing a little hissy fit then coming back to my comp to find AA OTB against a bunch of limpers, so I pop it up to 8x, and get one caller.

Flop was:

and limper check-raise shoves! I insta-called due to tilt and he showed 44 but I caught an ace on the river. I actually learned quite a bit from that hand, villain was an unknown and a call may have been correct, but the fact that I didn't even think about it shows I need to work on this.

Have also had KK<AA 4 times in the past 2 days which will slightly hurt bankroll growth... ya I know--->

Those stellar/reload bonuses have been keeping me in the game at least

BR: $2845

Played 4000 hands of 9 tabling FR today, and had some pretty eventful hands:

The Good:

1) Got all in on a flop of K-J-10 when I had KK but villain had AQ but I sucked out, reverse cooler obv
    2)AA>QQ
    3) 3-Bet AQ against nitty button and flop came K-J-10 and I stacked QQ when 9 fell on turn
    4) flopped quads against total shortstack fish who prob cost me money by shoving in 7-2 multiway on 4-4-2

The Bad:

1) 44<10-10 on 10-4-5
    2) AA<KQ After I shoved turn on Q-6-9-2
    3) AJ clubs on 3c-4c-6c lost to 44
    4) KK<J-10 after I c/c'ed river on 10h-4c-2c-3s-Jd at least I didn't lose stack

AND THE AMAZING! (even though I didn't get a stack )

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($24.85)
    BB ($25)
    UTG ($59.05)
    UTG+1 ($25.50)
    MP1 ($32)
    MP2 ($46.60)
    Hero (CO) ($25.35)
    Button ($25.95)

2 folds, MP1 bets $0.75, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.75, Button calls $0.75, SB calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($3.75) , , (5 players)
    SB checks, BB checks, MP1 bets $2.25, Hero calls $2.25, 3 folds

Turn: ($8.25) (2 players)
    MP1 checks, Hero bets $4, 1 fold

Total pot: $8.25 | Rake: $0.40

Results:
    Hero didn't show 10, A.
    Outcome: Hero won $7.85

I thought about raising flop but decided that calling was slightly better as it potentially let others in and if someone raised then I would just shove over. I was very surprised when he folded as he was kind of a nit so I didn't expect him to c-bet this and then fold to this turn but whatev

So anyway here's the garph:

Played 11.5/9 with a 3.8% 3bet as usual, I noticed my 3-bet call was pretty high but I find it so hard to fold to damned min 3 bets when I'm IP.

I'm running 6 buyins below EV and am down for the month so my only goal is to go for Rostucko

Throw me a reply if you are actually reading this OP, I'm gettin' the views but I wants the company!

Played a bit over the last few days, looks like I'm going to make goldstar again which is good.

Ran 11/8 with a 4% 3-bet as usual. I've lowered my 3-bet call% significantly, and have been 3-betting wider IP with moderate success.

Here's the garphskies:

I know this OP is called "Mission to Exploit" so I'm going to try and post some hands where I exploit the tendencies of my opponents.

The following 2 hands villains were both 3-betting 12-14% from the blinds:

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 ($23.90)
    MP1 ($36.05)
    MP2 ($18.55)
    MP3 ($28.55)
    Hero (CO) ($31.70)
    Button ($16.30)
    SB ($25)
    BB ($34.50)
    UTG ($28.70)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, Q
    5 folds, Hero bets $0.75, 1 fold, SB raises $2.45, 1 fold, Hero raises $6, 1 fold

SB ($30.45)
    BB ($71.20)
    UTG ($3.05)
    UTG+1 ($34.65)
    MP1 ($19.25)
    MP2 ($25)
    CO ($40.15)
    Hero (Button) ($25)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q, A
    5 folds, Hero bets $0.75, 1 fold, BB raises to $2.50, Hero raises to $6, 1 fold

I know this might seem like not a big deal to some, but I never would have considered 4-betting KQ on the button, but when playing ranges that include small pp's it def becomes a profitable play, especially when you 4-bet smallish.

Here's a hand where I'm not sure what the best flop line was:

Villain was 18/11 with a 0% 3-bet over 100 hands

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($37.90)
    UTG ($25.35)
    UTG+1 ($14.65)
    MP1 ($25.05)
    MP2 ($24.30)
    MP3 ($24.75)
    CO ($25.35)
    Button ($31.10)
    Hero (SB) ($25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, A
    7 folds, Hero bets $0.75, BB calls $0.50

Here's my range for preflop for this guy, I still think he 3-bets his monsters so here we go:

22,A2s+,KJs+,QJs,JTs,T9s,98s,87s,76s,65s,54s,A9o+, KJo+,QJo,JTo

Flop: ($1.50) 9, A, 10 (2 players)
    Hero bets $1, BB raises to $3, Hero ???

I know that my equity is great vs pretty much any hand, but I don't know if villain is capable of doing this with AQ or AJ. So my tentative range after he raises my bet would be:

99,A9s+,QhJh,Tc9c,Td9d,Ts9s,8h7h,7h6h,6h5h,5h4h,A9 o+

Against this range my equity is ~60%

If I take out combos of AJ and AQ we have ~46% equity

So what to do? I don't think any option other than folding is a huge mistake, but which line is better when he raises?

Well Jan is over and I can say I learned a lot. I learned that I was stationy, that FR is my preferred game, that I need to be more aggressive with position, and that I need to generally 3/bet or fold from the blinds against most villains.

Here's Jan:

Made ~$500 including bonuses and P-stars Jan sale so not bad I guess, I had a much more solid winrate for FR than 6-max.

Plan for Feb is to play FR 25nl, and if I feel like I have a solid grasp to move to 50nl in March.

Instead of posting results per session, I think I'm going to start doing one every week. That way I can talk more about learning, analyzing etc and not be so results oriented.

Here's to a kickass Feb! Hopefully I wont end up feeling like this guy:

http://www.kontraband.com/videos/213...Meltdown/#show

Starting Feb off on a heater, which is nice since I've never really had one like this:

Pretty happy about redline, working a lot on not calling pre with pp's vs wide ranges, isolating, attacking weak-tight preflop players etc

Eventful hand vs crazy guy. A few hands earlier he limp/shoved Q-10 and sucked out on my JJ. So this was a rollercoaster of a sweet revenge hand:

MP2 ($26.95)
    CO ($25.15)
    Button ($46.85)
    SB ($54.95)
    Hero (BB) ($56.80)
    UTG ($30.80)
    UTG+1 ($35.85)
    MP1 ($78.85)

5 folds, Button bets $0.75, SB raises to $2, Hero raises to $8, 1 fold, SB calls $6

Flop: ($16.75) , , (2 players)
    SB bets $10, Hero raises to $48.80 (All-In), SB calls $36.95 (All-In)

Turn: ($110.65) (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($110.65) (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $110.65 | Rake: $3

Results:
    SB had K, 5 (full house, fives over Kings).
    Hero had K, K (full house, Kings over fives).
    Outcome: Hero won $107.65

I have been experimenting with check/raising villains who like to call my late position opens on the button with wide ranges on dry flops and it seems to be working well. I do this when my range consists of draws and air, as I rarely get shoved on and I can usually easily give up when they stay interested as they have been at the top of their range. It just seems that the regs have the fear of god put into them when they get check raised, and since their ranges are so weak anyways I get a lllloootttt of folds.

Two examples: Both villains loved to call on the button and had a high % of betting when checked to.

Hand 1:
    PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($34.65)
    BB ($25.60)
    UTG ($28.55)
    UTG+1 ($28.65)
    MP1 ($24.90)
    MP2 ($28)
    MP3 ($24.30)
    Hero (CO) ($25)
    Button ($26.35)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 10, K
    5 folds, Hero bets $0.75, Button calls $0.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($1.85) J, 7, 5 (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets $1.25, Hero raises to $5, 1 fold

Total pot: $4.35 | Rake: $0.20

Results:
    Hero didn't show 10, K.
    Outcome: Hero won $4.15

Hand 2:

SB ($25)
    BB ($26.95)
    UTG ($54.95)
    UTG+1 ($25.80)
    MP1 ($17.80)
    MP2 ($28.05)
    MP3 ($29.65)
    Hero (CO) ($25.55)
    Button ($25)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, K
    5 folds, Hero bets $0.75, Button calls $0.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($1.85) 9, J, 9 (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets $1.25, Hero raises to $5, 1 fold

Total pot: $4.35 | Rake: $0.20

Results:
    Hero didn't show Q, K.
    Outcome: Hero won $4.15

I will continue to try this out and see what happens. I think its good if villains are incapable of adjusting, though I think I should try to throw in some strong hands when I do this every now and again.

Life related: Got hired as a certified supply teacher, and I start and the end of the month. It'll be nice to get payed twice as much as an uncertified supply teacher, plus if I don't like a class I don't have to go back!

For the lols, and I find this more funny b/c I'm Canadian:

Today Kids, we will be discussing how to play a flopped set. Villain's range for donking is actually quite strong according to my notes in this situation, here's how to play poker correctly:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 ($25.05)
    MP2 ($31.70)
    CO ($27.50)
    Hero (Button) ($25)
    SB ($35.35)
    BB ($31.15)
    UTG ($49.15)

3 folds, CO bets $0.75, Hero raises to $2.25, 1 fold, BB calls $2, CO calls $1.50

Flop: ($6.85) , , (3 players)
    BB bets $2.25, 1 fold, Hero folds

Total pot: $6.85 | Rake: $0.30

Results:
    BB didn't show
    Outcome: BB won $6.55

OBV I knew I was beat so I had to fold

On a less depressing note here's a hand I thought was interesting, comments appreciated:

UTG+1 is 17/11 over 1000 and likes to represent overs I've noticed. SB is a fish. I liked it when I did it, but now not so sure... Comments appreciated:

MP3 ($23.20)
    CO ($13)
    Button ($29.75)
    SB ($50.95)
    Hero (BB) ($25)
    UTG ($25)
    UTG+1 ($26.40)
    MP1 ($24.75)
    MP2 ($15)

1 fold, UTG+1 bets $1, 5 folds, SB calls $0.90, Hero calls $0.75

Flop: ($3) , , (3 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $2.50, UTG+1 calls $2.50, 1 fold

Turn: ($8) (2 players)
    Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $5, Hero raises to $21.50 (All-In), [color=#666666]

Garph of past week, Lets try a bigger image for shits'n'gigs

haven't been happy with some plays I've been making, so time for session reviews!

BR: $3700
    Last edited by caddie444; 02-22-2010 at 12:12 AM.

Gonna try and post some examples in my next few posts of how I try to exploit reg's while on the button. An important thing that I've tried to keep an eye on while multi-tabling are the villains who will limp a small-medium pair in any position and play solely for set value. Their play is extremely exploitable via isolation, and it only takes a few hands of observation to realize what they're doing:

Villain is 17/5 over a 1000 hands, has never limped a big hand from EP that I've noticed

MP1 ($25.35)
    MP2 ($33.45)
    MP3 ($25)
    CO ($25)
    Hero (Button) ($25)
    SB ($25)
    BB ($29.35)
    UTG ($42.45)
    UTG+1 ($27.35)

1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.25, 4 folds, Hero bets $1.25, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $1

Flop: ($2.85) , , (2 players)
    UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $1.50, 1 fold

Total pot: $2.85 | Rake: $0.10

Results:
    Hero didn't show 7, 4.
    Outcome: Hero won $2.75

Most villains who do this will either c/r their sets on the flop or will choose to c/r the turn. It's better to watch how they play their sets when you aren't in a hand with them, b/c they play their sets the same 90% of the time.

So when my g/f asked me a few days ago over the phone what I was going to do for the rest of the night, I told her I was going to play some cards (she knows I play online) and told her I would prob do some hand reviews/studying. I sent her an f-book msg with some EV work I did just so she could see how I studied, and she replied:

"I got your message this morning about how you study poker ... I must say that I am a little confused lol ... I was looking up some of the terms you used in the message (like 'shove') ... Anyways, you'll have to explain it to me on the phone or this weekend sometime because I'm having trouble understanding all the odds and stuff.

I'm glad you shared it with me though ... I was pretty interested! "

It's nice to have a g/f who's somewhat interested in poker. We occasioanlly play sit'n'go's with my fam since we're all compulsive gamblers, and she knows how to play and she's actually pretty good for a beginner, she tries outrageous bluffs though, and she says "I'm so sorry" to everyone she knocks out

lol g/faments

Another obvious way to exploit nit regs while on the button is to play hands with high implied odds, preferably with deeper stacks, and it's especially effective vs villains who can't fold overpairs:

Villain here is mega tight, like 6/3, and I knew I could stack him with the right flop. This flop is basically really good for his PFR range, which is why I chose to check behind flop, after that its free $$$

Hero (Button) ($76.95)
    SB ($26.60)
    BB ($25)
    UTG ($26.60)
    UTG+1 ($27.25)
    MP1 ($28.45)
    MP2 ($37.35)
    CO ($25)

3 folds, MP2 bets $1, 1 fold, Hero calls $1, 2 folds

Flop: ($2.35) , , (2 players)
    MP2 checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($2.35) (2 players)
    MP2 bets $1.50, Hero raises to $6.25, MP2 raises to $11, Hero raises to $75.95 (All-In), MP2 calls $25.35 (All-In)

River: ($75.05) (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $75.05 | Rake: $3

Results:
    Hero had 10, 9 (straight, King high).
    MP2 had A, A (one pair, Aces).
    Outcome: Hero won $72.05

Here's tonight's session:

Notable Hands:

1) Couldn't find a fold after flatting a 3 bet with KK on the button on A-A-5-8-8 after villain c-bet flop, checked turn with AQ
    2) QQ>JJ on 8-6-3 vs maniac
    3) AA>KQ vs station on Q-J-3-3-5 for a stack
    4) KK>10-10 for a stack preflop
    5)AK > K6 vs moron who limp/called pre, check/called A-5-6, and check/raised K turn. He then went on a tirade of how he has bad luck so I asked him if he wanted me to call him an ambalamps

BR: $4030

Dude why are you still playing 25NL?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobbatino View Post
    Dude why are you still playing 25NL?
    Lol ya I'm not a huge BR nit or anything, I just want to make sure I have a solid winrate @ 25NL before I move up. Like I said I'm pretty new to cash games so I figured I should pay my dues. I have learned tons in the past few months playing 25NL, and like I mentioned earlier I plan on moving to 50NL starting next month GL me

Well, to each his own. But don't play only to feel like you've "paid your dues" - I mean, as long as the monetary value of the next level is not a problem (which it wouldn't be with your over-sized bankroll :P). Aggressive BRM ftw, imo. Remember you only need to keep up half your winrate at 50NL to make the same amount of money but learn a higher stake in the process.

Just my thoughts. :P Good luck, awesome progress!
    Thanks for the input Gobbatino, and you're right of course. It'll only be a few days till I play my first hands @ 50NL!

Session from tonight, ran 12.5/10 with 3.2% 3Bet and a surprising 3.43 Agg factor:

Notable hands:

1)Ran good according to HEM thanks to this hand---> A8dd which I ended up shoving all in and getting called by J9dd and 7-2offsuit on 5d-6d-3c
    2)77>AA after I flopped a set against nit who can't lay down AA
    3) 10-10>AA after Nit min-3Bet me from BB and checked 8-9-3 flop allowing me to check behind and hit my 2 outer on the turn
    4)AK > 89 after he called my c-bet on 10-J-5 bringing a beautiful Q turn
    5) AK<QQ flip pre
    6) 77<JJ on J-7-3
    7) JJ<10-9 after I exercised poor betsizing on the turn making a call mandatory on J-Q-2-9-K board
    8) I 3Bet/called a 4Bet from Uber Nit with KK and c/f'd Q-7-7 after he shoved

Pretty happy with most of the plays I made, I do need to work on my turn raise sizing though I think I don't bet enough which sucks for so many reasons so will do some review

Here's a hand where I exploited a spewy opponent on the button who obviously doesn't know about Zeebo theorem. If you don't know what Zeebo theorem is:
    Zeebo's Theorem | Poker Theorem

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($49.20)
    MP1 ($21.45)
    MP2 ($26)
    CO ($5.90)
    Hero (Button) ($55.15)
    SB ($14.40)
    BB ($25)

1 fold, MP1 calls $0.25, 2 folds, Hero bets $1, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.35) , , (2 players)
    MP1 bets $2.25, Hero calls $2.25

Turn: ($6.85) (2 players)
    MP1 bets $2.25, Hero calls $2.25

River: ($11.35) (2 players)
    MP1 bets $15.95 (All-In), Hero calls $15.95

Total pot: $43.25 | Rake: $2.10

Results:
    Hero had A, Q (full house, Aces over Jacks).
    MP1 had 7, 6 (two pair, Aces and Jacks).
    Outcome: Hero won $41.15

I'm never folding even if I have a J (at least according to Zeebo)

G/F just let me know Canada won a gold for figure skating, I was kinda hoping we'd get one for hockey

8) I 3Bet/called a 4Bet from Uber Nit with KK and c/f'd Q-7-7 after he shoved
    Wow, I could never do this @ 6max. Were they smallish 3bet/4bets or were you really deep? Was he OOP and open shoved? I guess if he's an uber uber nit, I'd find a fold. Tough spot. Nice session though.

Move up already. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobbatino View Post
    Wow, I could never do this @ 6max. Were they smallish 3bet/4bets or were you really deep? Was he OOP and open shoved? I guess if he's an uber uber nit, I'd find a fold. Tough spot. Nice session though.

Move up already. :P
    Yah lol FR right? let me dig up the hand:

I had villain as 9/6 with a 1% 3Bet over 2000 hands. Not only is he 4 betting, but he's 4 betting a UTG opener and an early position 3bettor. He instashoved Flop.

SB ($25.10)
    BB ($25.35)
    UTG ($24)
    UTG+1 ($27.75)
    Hero (MP1) ($31.45)
    MP2 ($25.90)
    CO ($29.40)
    Button ($24.30)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with ,
    UTG bets $0.65, 1 fold, Hero raises to $2.25, MP2 raises to $7.50, 5 folds, Hero calls $5.25

Flop: ($16) , , (2 players)
    Hero checks, MP2 bets $18.40 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $16 | Rake: $0.80

Results:
    MP2 didn't show
    Outcome: MP2 won $15.20

I mean its not like he's doing this with AQ, still felt nasty though

Wow ok, when you say ubernit you meant ubernit. I guess this is one of those spots where even though we've reached a desirable SPR we can give up due to reads/villain actions. Nice one.
    Played ~3000 hands tonight for $50, but I ran +EV and should of only won like $17 according to HEM. Not gonna post the graph but key hands which killed the session were:

1) called 3Bet with JJ from villain in sb, and I tried to represent a flush or QQ on 9h-6h-3c-Qh-4c after he c-bet flop but c/c'd turn and called my river pot shove with KK. Lesson? Don't bluff ppl who can't fold overpairs, and don't try until you know they can.
    2) Had prob one of my most horrilble stack-offs in weeks when I 4bet shoved with A8 on a 8-6-3 rainbow flop after crazy villain who limp/called pre donkbet/min3bet flop. He had 66, and I felt real stupid.
    3)10-10<AJ after getting it in on A-J-10
    4) I c/r'd a good amount on a Jd-8d-9d board with 88 and c/f'd a 7d turn after villain overbet shoved. Might post this hand later cause I've been wondering about it.

Goldstar complete for this month, though I'm only getting .085vpp/hand, which I think is low compared to others...

Gonna get this for my g/f because her dam cat wakes me up in the morning:

Last edited by caddie444; 03-01-2010 at 09:53 PM.

[X] Done with 25NL!

Total hands @ 25NL FR:

Stats:

On to 50nl starting this month!

My strategy is going to be to 4 table for like 3-5K hands until I'm used to the sizing and comfortable with betting larger amount of $$$.

Learned a lot @ 25NL and hopefully won't have to move back down.
    Right now my BR is $4300, so I can sustain a pretty good loss until I have to move back down again. I think I will move back down to 25NL if my BR hits $3500 just to regain my composure, but lets just hope that doesn't happen.

GL ME!

GL on the move up! Sick graph. God, you're such a BR nit. :P
    Alright well down 6 buyins since moving up. Instadoom switch. Here's a quick summary for me to vent:

played 4500 hands so far this month

Have had 5 KK over AA's and NO AA over KK's.

Held AK in 6 3-Bet pots where villain caught set and it came K high

KK < AK 4 times all in pre

A-10 < 10-10 on 3-3-10-A where I lost minimum

AQ < 10-10 on 10-A-4-Q where I lost minimum

And this is the most frustrating:

I've been dealt AA 25 times and only gotten action on 8 of them!

/rant

Ok so basically my goal for the next little while is to try and not let this affect my emotions b/c lol its part of the game I don't care if I get rostucko or not I just want to be in control

that graph looks identical to mine lol nice

gl with 50nl
    move up not going too well

played ~3500 hands today and am down 4+ buyins.

I got super tilted today b/c of the hands, here are some of the big losers, gotta get it off my chest:

1. AKs < KK all in pre by maniac on the button
    2. AA < QQ all in pre
    3. AK < JJ in 3B pot on A-J-2
    4. KQ < AQ on K-10-4 after I got it in against crazy SS'er guy
    5. 99 < Qd-10d all in on 9d-4d-2s flop
    6. KK < AK All in pre
    7. Kd3d < 33 after I got it in vs aggro on 3s-Qd-5d which was prob a mistake

and then there were just really gay hands like this:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($50)
    BB ($21.05)
    UTG ($58.40)
    UTG+1 ($61.25)
    MP1 ($41.90)
    MP2 ($64.65)
    MP3 ($54.40)
    CO ($59.30)
    Hero (Button) ($52.35)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, Q
    1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, 4 folds, Hero bets $2, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.75) 6, 8, Q (2 players)
    UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $2.50, UTG+1 calls $2.50

Turn: ($9.75) 3 (2 players)
    UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $6.50, UTG+1 calls $6.50

River: ($22.75) 2 (2 players)
    UTG+1 bets $36, Hero folds

Total pot: $22.75 | Rake: $1.10

Results:
    UTG+1 didn't show
    Outcome: UTG+1 won $21.65

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 ($50)
    MP1 ($62.60)
    MP2 ($63.35)
    MP3 ($58.30)
    Hero (CO) ($82.30)
    Button ($60.75)
    SB ($50)
    BB ($110.85)
    UTG ($50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, 10
    5 folds, Hero bets $1.50, Button calls $1.50, 1 fold, BB calls $1

Flop: ($4.75) 5, 4, 10 (3 players)
    BB checks, Hero bets $2.50, Button calls $2.50, 1 fold

Turn: ($9.75) 9 (2 players)
    Hero bets $6, Button calls $6

River: ($21.75) 3 (2 players)
    Hero bets $10, Button raises to $50.75 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $41.75 | Rake: $2

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 ($56.30)
    MP1 ($47)
    Hero (MP2) ($50.75)
    CO ($53.85)
    Button ($43.55)
    SB ($53)
    BB ($60.50)
    UTG ($56.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J, J
    3 folds, Hero bets $1.50, 1 fold, Button calls $1.50, 2 folds

Flop: ($3.75) 9, 2, 4 (2 players)
    Hero bets $2, Button calls $2

Turn: ($7.75) 2 (2 players)
    Hero bets $5, Button calls $5

River: ($17.75) 5 (2 players)
    Hero bets $12, Button raises to $35.05 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $41.75 | Rake: $2

ok second rant over won't be playing poker for a while b/c the g/f is coming up for the weekend... she'll help to take my mind off cards
    Last edited by caddie444; 03-19-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Wow had a +4 buyin sesh yesterday only to give it all back today

I am admittedly making some horrible plays. I mean when a guy calls your 3B when you are in the blinds from UTG and min raises your c-bet on J-8-2, KK is rarely good.

I got my whole stack in as well with ~0 equity vs AA when I called OTB with 67s only to have the flop come A-6-7

I am def not playing my sets well OOP.

I thankfully discovered a leak that only appeared at 50NL which is for some reason I started calling a lot of late position opens OTB with a lot of suited connecting hands which translated into a lot of folding since this month it has been rare for me to even flop a draw. The point is I am way better off 3B'ing these hands vs most opponents and have stepped it up in this area.

The good news is at least I see where I am losing money and I have run pretty bad this month and am only 3 buyins down at this point after ~20,000 hands. 50NL is teaching me loads and I hope to just keep learning...

,.lfkajsdhf;lkjasdf

Great start to April

played 900 hands today

KK < AA 3 times
    KK < AK
    QQ < 10-8 vs idiot who stacked of on 8-2-2
    99 < Q-10 All in on 9-8-6
    22< 33 on K-3-2

down 8 buyins

/Rant
    Last edited by caddie444; 04-20-2010 at 01:43 AM.

OK enough whining I've plugged some leaks which were apparent since moving up to 50NL.

So lets say something positive, how about a solid brag post?

UTG was a nit and bb was a fish so I was happy when bb donked but not happy when UTG flatted with me behind...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 ($45.90)
    Hero (MP2) ($50)
    CO ($65.80)
    Button ($76.70)
    SB ($50)
    BB ($50)
    UTG ($51.50)
    UTG+1 ($84.60)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with ,
    UTG bets $1.50, 2 folds, Hero raises to $4.50, 3 folds, BB calls $4, UTG calls $3

Flop: ($13.75) , , (3 players)
    BB bets $8, UTG calls $8, Hero folds

Turn: ($29.75) (2 players)
    BB bets $15, UTG raises to $39 (All-In), BB calls $22.50 (All-In)

River: ($104.75) (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $104.75 | Rake: $3

Results:
    BB had 7, 7 (two pair, sevens and sixes).
    UTG had Q, Q (full house, Queens over sixes).
    Outcome: UTG won $101.75

Anyways did a bunch of review b/c my redline was falling like 3-3.5 PTBB's/100 which is crazy. Found out I was calling too much from the button as opposed to 3 Betting. I also noticed I was stacking off with
    AK in bad spots and am sure I am saving a lot of money by just folding to most 3B's from nits or 4B'ing certain villains. Redline is now only slighty falling and my winrate has improved so far.

After posting some hands I also realize that I sometimes lack a plan, which is terrible. After reading some of M2M's posts it's helped me to realize the importance of having a plan.

Well I have to say that the move up to 50NL has been very frustrating. I have so far played ~37,000 hands and only have a 0.21 ptbb/100 winrate. Over these hands I have played 12/8.5 with 3% 3Bet. I think my biggest problem is my postflop aggression. I see stats posted by FTR'ers and stuff and their aggression factors are like 3.5+ whereas mine is only 2.20 over this sample which implies that I am calling too much which sucks.

Here's some of my biggest losers from last 1200 hand session, maybe you guys could comment on some of these:

HAND 1:

I'll post this hand first b/c man I hate how I played it. Villain was a a 9/9 nit and I suppose it's fair to assume he 5B's KK so I mean I'm sure I could have gotten away from this at some point. His flop donk was obv to induce but man wtf am I suppose to do here? I think the only street I could've gotten away from this was on the riv but idk maybe just a cooler.

SB ($25.10)
    BB ($20.50)
    UTG ($22.50)
    UTG+1 ($64.15)
    MP1 ($50.50)
    MP2 ($35.30)
    CO ($42.55)
    Hero (Button) ($50)

UTG bets $1, 3 folds, CO raises to $4, Hero raises to $10, 3 folds, CO calls $6

Flop: ($21.75) , , (2 players)
    CO bets $3, Hero calls $3

Turn: ($27.75) (2 players)
    CO bets $11, Hero calls $11

River: ($49.75) (2 players)
    CO bets $18.55 (All-In), Hero calls $18.55

HAND 2:

Here villain just sat and was 48/14 over 29 hands. I guess this is just a cooler since I could see him showing up with Jx or underpairs I guess IDK

MP2 ($37)
    CO ($16.75)
    Button ($40.95)
    SB ($57.40)
    BB ($70.35)
    UTG ($18.75)
    UTG+1 ($46.70)
    Hero (MP1) ($100.45)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with ,
    2 folds, Hero bets $1.75, MP2 calls $1.75, 1 fold, Button calls $1.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($6) , , (3 players)
    Hero bets $4, MP2 calls $4, 1 fold

Turn: ($14) (2 players)
    Hero bets $10, MP2 calls $10

River: ($34) (2 players)
    Hero bets $22, MP2 calls $21.25 (All-In)

HAND 3:

Everytime I try and experiment with something new I get wtfowned. I mean I rarely triple barrel bluff but I thought this was a decent spot to do it in. The villain here got his $$$ by sucking out on someones AA's so I guess he isn't the best opponent to try and take off the hand. Before I try this again I'm going to make sure I have a read that he's capable of folding. he was playing like 53/14 over 100. I thought a shove on the river was overkill and needed to work more often, and I figured betting what I did would have the same effect but I'm not sure.

UTG ($50)
    UTG+1 ($50)
    MP1 ($29.40)
    MP2 ($122.45)
    MP3 ($50)
    CO ($12.50)
    Hero (Button) ($52.75)
    SB ($46.25)
    BB ($78.05)

3 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, 2 folds, Hero bets $2, 2 folds, MP2 calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.75) , , (2 players)
    MP2 checks, Hero bets $3, MP2 calls $3

Turn: ($10.75) (2 players)
    MP2 checks, Hero bets $7.50, MP2 calls $7.50

River: ($25.75) (2 players)
    MP2 checks, Hero bets $19, MP2 calls $19

HAND 4:

Really interested about what you guys have to say about this one. Villain in the blinds is a fish who donk/calls all sorts of crap. Villain OTB plays 19/15 over 100 and seems pretty straightforward to me. I'm thinking he's only flatting monsters when I raise the fish, and if he was on the flush draw he just got there so.....ya

I think we still have to bet a non-club turn though no?

UTG+1 ($24.05)
    MP1 ($11.75)
    MP2 ($43.10)
    MP3 ($60.70)
    CO ($47.50)
    Button ($50)
    SB ($55.20)
    BB ($40)
    Hero (UTG) ($54.25)

Hero bets $2, 5 folds, Button calls $2, SB calls $1.75, 1 fold

Flop: ($6.50) , , (3 players)
    SB bets $1.50, Hero raises to $6.50, Button calls $6.50, 1 fold

Turn: ($21) (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets $10, Hero folds

Anyways I've lowered the amount of tables I have been playing from 9 to 6 in order to focus more on my thought processes and to avoid auto-piloting. It's good b/c I don't think I can get enough volume in to achieve platinum star just yet but can easily attain gold star each month 6-tabling.

I saw that M2M had like a 65K hand break-even stretch in his garph he posted but i think he was mass tabling... its still encouraging to know it can happen. Goals for the next little while are to stop being a station and focusing on stepping up the aggression post-flop in proper spots vs proper opponents.

Life update: I have been to the Emergency room 3 times in the past 2 weeks due to a high pressure feeling on my chest. I basically passed out at my girlfriends place in Toronto due to lack of oxygen. She took me to the hospital and she took very good care of me

They tested for heart-attacks, collapsed lungs, whooping cough, blocked arteries (ct scan) and it all came black clean. They think I just have a viral chest infection which is making my chest very inflamed. Got drugs and am going back to supply teaching tomorrow.
    Last edited by caddie444; 10-06-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Haven't updated this beast in 2 months and am too tired to give a huge update but here's my graph since my last post which is all 50NL:

Across this sample I am running at 14/10 with a 2.8% 3Bet, 2.35 aggression factor and winning approx 2.1 PTBB/100.

And I still suck... but I'm learning everyday from this site

Seriously I make so many mistakes it's ridiculous. When I review my HH's I wonder what the hell I could have been thinking in some spots, and have come to the realization that I do not do enough range predictions throughout a hand, or that my assumptions/reasoning are usually way off base.

Anyways, I haven't really put in too much volume, as I have moved down to 6 tables from 9, and been trying to do session & hand history reviews in order to actually think out hands.

It's good to have guys like M2M and Zilla around who have recently been pointing out the flaws in my play/analysis via my HH threads, and honestly some people get offended when better players give their opinion which might be condenscending or blunt or whatever but I don't care at all as long as the end result is me becoming a better card player.

Poker for me will always just be a hobby, but I am so competitive and passionate for this game I want to put in as much work as I can to at least be halfway decent at it. It's hard when you're a teacher since the lifestyle is so busy, but I just fell in love with this game since I first began playing the $5 sit'n'go's on pokerroom, and I intend to become a better player, and as long as I keep learning I'll be on the right track.

Roll right now is $5251, and I have ~48,000 Vpp's and some $50 Stellar rewards I have yet to cash

Well been a while since I've updated so here we go...

Summer has been going great, I taught summer school, a grade 9 credit recovery math class. It was great experience and though I was busy as hell for 2 weeks I really learned a lot.

Besides that I haven't been playing too much cards, I bought SC2 and have been slowly getting through the campaign. I totally suck at it though and prob won't invest too much time getting better though I would like to be able to not get my ass handed to me

Just got back from a mini-trip with the g/f at a place called Deerhurst Resort which is in Huntsville Ontario, it's where they recently held the G8, we stayed in the same condo as some of the world leaders!:

Damn beautiful place

On to the pokers:

Here are my graphs since my last update:

50NL @ Stars:

And some donking @ 10NL Russsshhh:

About $1100 including rakeback etc

Gonna keep pluggin away @ 50NL, though I have a semi-decent winrate approaching 100K hands (1.5 PTBB/100) with my last 50K hands @ 2.5 PTBB/100

Prob gonna move up to 100NL sometime next month we'll see how it goes

Latest thing bought with poker $$$:

Got a 48 degree to replace my pitching wedge and a 64 degree b/c I love to see backspin. These bad boys eat the cover off the ball the grooves are so sharp!
    Last edited by caddie444; 08-21-2010 at 12:48 AM.

Been over a month since an update so here we go:

The following graphs are since my last post in this blog until Oct 1st:

@ P-stars 50NL:

@ FT Ruuusssssh 10NL & 25NL:

+ $355 Ruuushhh
    + $356 P-Stars
    + $150 reloads/bonuses
    + $110 RB
    - $77 donkaments
    $894 profit

Life Update: My twin sister got married a week ago and I was one of the groomsmen It was the first time I've ever been a groomsmen and it was a blast. I'm from a small town and she got married in a small church but our whole family came from all over as well as her husband's (He's a Brit) And we partied hard till late in a Super Eight and had the cops called due to disturbing the peace

I also just finished what's called an LTO (Long Term Occasional) which for supply teachers means an extended period of time covering the same class. For me I was supply teaching Gr. 1's! Let me say when it comes to student's behaviour there are a lot of similarities b/w Gr.1 and Gr. 12

Now I'm done and can focus back on trying to land a teaching job in High School (76 minutes prep/day FTW)

Random: I decided to try and watch an episode of Jersey Shore to see what all the hype was about and I couldn't get past 5 minutes of it. The show is simply Garbage. But I guess that's what ppl like to watch nowadays. For those avid watchers I only have this to show you:

New poker goals: Play some Steps satellites and get some tix for some bigger buyin tourneys and try to luckbox my way to the final table

That Jersey Shore image is the tits. I LOL'd IRL.

I'm glad to say I've met all my October poker goals, which were:

[x] play 50 hours for prop bet
    [x] clear 'Take 2' FTP bonus
    [x] Goldstar
    [x] win mobnies

The October Prop bet for hours played turned out to be a little tougher than I thought since I was way busier than I usually am. I had to grind it out in order to meet 50 hrs for this month but it'll be worth it when I'm rolling around in the likely $5-$10 I'll make from it

Garphs for Oct:

FTP Ruuuusshh:

Pstars 50NL:

+ $830 Pstars
    + $197 FTP
    + $145 fpp/bonuses

= ~$1172

I know it may not seem like a big deal to some, but I've opened up my game slightly from playing a 13/9 game to a 15/11. It was basically thanks to watching Renton's Poobah vid (Renton pooh-bah post: 1/2 video - Small Stakes Full Ring Games - Small Stakes Poker Strategy Forum) and Reading M2M's post about making ppl your bitch

I found myself getting into more awkward/difficult spots, but it's definitely necessary to constantly get yourself out of your comfort zone and try new things in order to learn at this game. If you just stay static, never experiment, only play ABC poker, and remain uncreative you will never improve as a player and will just become another predictable reg who is easily exploitable by opponents who are paying attention.

An example of a 'creative' hand I played:

Villain was running 16/15 and 3B'ing the button about 11% vs LP opens, which is ridic high for FR, and the only reason I stayed is b/c I had a huge fish right on my right. I had seen him showdown some pretty marginal hands in this spot.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 ($44.20)
    MP2 ($24.10)
    Hero (CO) ($98.95)
    Button ($53)
    SB ($50)
    BB ($66.15)
    UTG ($49.50)

3 folds, Hero bets $1.50, Button raises to $4.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $3

Flop: ($9.75) , , (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets $6, Hero raises to $14, 1 fold

Total pot: $21.75 | Rake: $1.05

My thinking was that I could 4bet this hand pre, but then I'd have to fold to a 5b since ppl's 5betting ranges at FR are very strong. So in essence I would basically be turning my hand into 72os by 4B/folding. I think by just calling I keep his range the widest. On this flop I choose to c/r pretty small, still leaving room for a fold if he shoves over since I think there's no way he can be bluffing then. I think a c/r here is ok since I block a lot of his overpairs that would be willing to continue with the hand, + I think from his perspective my range is just so strong when I take this line I may even get folds from 77-1010 maybe even JJ.

Trying out new plays and getting yourself into unfamiliar spots is the only way you are going to learn. You will not always make the right play, the play I made in the above hand may not even be optimal, but the point is you need to try new things in order to determine on your own what works against who and what doesn't.

Also, check out this vid which I must've showed like 10 times to high school students this week---> YouTube - Where the Hell is Matt? (2008)

totally jealous

BR = $8050
    Last edited by caddie444; 10-29-2010 at 09:14 PM.

i lold at the part about the BC prop...but good work man looks like your killing it, after you recommended rentons vid i dl'ed it and its great so good looks on that
    Done (hopefully) with 50NL!

Ran about 2 PTBB/100 across the whole sample, but have been running good according to *gasp* AIEV (Pls don't kill me M2M)

4-Tabling 100NL to get used to the sizings etc, pumped for the challenge, haven't felt the adrenaline of playing higher stakes in a while, def a rush, still have desire to work on game and learn everyday, read as much as I can with my schedule etc...

Now... on to the exploitation!
    Last edited by caddie444; 11-03-2010 at 01:42 AM.

Quick update start to 100nl FR is not going so well, only played ~ 6000 hands and am running pretty bad -6 or 7 Buyins under Ev or somethin but who cares I'm making some ridiculous plays and some pretty bad spew like 4B shoving AK vs unknown squeezers when lol this is FR they always have AA otherwise I think I'm playing decent but still have loads for improvement and since the quality of play is better the leaks in my game are becoming pretty apparent. Session reviews helps loads so if you're not doing them you def should. I read somewhere that a good tip is to filter all your hands where you won/lost greater than 10 bb's so that's what I've been doing and have seen some spots where I could def be improving.

As a positive I received an email from FTP stating that I've been selected to participate in their "Cashback" program. It's like Rakeback since I get 27% back from all rake I pay. I've been emailing them for the past few months requesting it so was happy to finally get some friggin' RB. It's pretty addictive I must say and am actually debating now whether or not I should stay @ stars...

Pro-tip of the week, read this if you haven't:

'G Bucks' Conceptualizing Money Matters. by Phil Galfond | Bluff Magazine April-2007

Yo, I just moved up to 100NL, this'll be my first month 100% there unless I run like absolute shit from hereon. Sweat, etc?
    Sigh ok well move up to 100NL is Fail

If you've failed at a move up pls post to make me feel better!!

I usually run terrible at the beginning of a move up but I've run like utter dogshit I think I'm just going to move back down for the next little while and attack 100nl when my confidence is back

Biggest losers were 2 times I 5B shoved AKs vs button opens from the bb vs aggro opponents and getting snapped by AA.

I've b/f'd so many overpairs that I'm wondering if it's actually correct to do so at this limit.

[rant]I am running 4 buyins under EV as well which doesn't help but I feel like I'm not playing well. I've lost 4 buyins with AK alone this month. I guess it's considered to be a cooler when you 3B, flop tptk and villain has a set everytime. I've flopped 5 top sets this month and have lost each at showdown...[/rant]

Anyways enough bitching, gotta stay positive, do some serious session reviews, no-one said poker was going to be all laughs. Going to head back down to 50NL where poker loves me and try this 100nl thing again in the future...

Oh and I went into the IRC and learned something true story

BR: $7500