Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Feeling rusty and unsure about AA - 200NL

Default Feeling rusty and unsure about AA - 200NL

I have not been playing much lately and dropped down to 200nl for regain form. Opposition was playing 45/12/1 over 50 hands but didn't seem to get involved in too many big pots. No other reads.

Maybe this is so standard but if so please tell me. I have been experimenting with new bet sizing in wa/wb situations and given that he doesn't seem good i have adjusted bet sizes against him.

Poker Room skin
    No Limit Holdem Ring game
    Blinds: $1/$2
    5 players
    Converter

Stack sizes:
    UTG: $123.90
    CO: $237.00
    Button: $193.40
    Hero: $203.80
    BB: $217.60

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with A A
    UTG calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero raises to $13, 2 folds, Button calls.

Flop: Q 4 Q ($30, 2 players)
    Hero bets $20, Button calls.

Turn: 5 ($70, 2 players)
    Hero bets $35, Button calls.

River: 4 ($140, 2 players)
    Hero checks, Button is all-in $124.4, Hero folds.
    Uncalled bets: $124.4 returned to Button.

Results:
    Final pot: $140
    I'm betting a little more on the flop, a lot more on the turn and either jamming or check/calling the river. Probably jamming given the post-flop aggression of 1.
    with your read that he doesn't get into to many big pots this is good. I think he could be pouncing on weakness though because the half pot and then check smells of a mediocre hand. Another thing is if hes playing 45% of his hands he has to be bluffing a lot unless he is giving up a lot of flops.
    Flopping quads and boats like its my job
    Where's the blocking bet on the river?
    Never bet on a white man in the heavyweight division!
    your line is EXTREMELY weak. you basically have to call this river since you under-repped your hand so much and didn't gather enough information up til that point. You should be looking to get at least two good streets of value here, i really dislike the HPSB on the turn ... if hes gonna call hes gonna call much more, besides it doesn't give u adequate information about where hes at. also ... how are you ever gonna stack someone w/ a big hand if you aren't going for the throat when you have one?
    Thanks for the replies.

I saw the 4 on the river as the worst possible card for me. If he has a Q or a 4 he is never folding anyway and I wouldn't have thought of him as a player good enough to float the flop with underpairs to the Q. I also don't like a blocking bet on the river because if he is pushing over it I almost have to call.

Marshall28. My bet sizing was to put him all in on the river with a psb. My standard turn bet is way larger but as said I am experimenting with bet sizing if I have specific reads on an opponent.
    i really think he will have a 4 maybe like less than 10% of the time, it wouldnt have changed my plan to shove river if that was the case, but if thats your plan i think its fine.
    It's a good fold.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Against someone with those call-station likes stats I am betting bigger on the turn and shoving the river for value. Although it sucks if he has a queen, I think he shows up with a worse pair often enough to make it good.
    Bet a little more on the turn to put him on an installment plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by silu73
    Marshall28. My bet sizing was to put him all in on the river with a psb. My standard turn bet is way larger but as said I am experimenting with bet sizing if I have specific reads on an opponent.
    Why do you want a psb on the river? Why not do like Fnord says and bet larger on the turn so the river will be even easier for him to call?

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    Thanks for your help guys.

Results: Villain showed QJo for flopped trips and rivered boat.