Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Home game question

Default Home game question

Me and a few mates will be having our usual home game this weekend. Its normally just the same 5 or 6 people every game, but this game has 2 new players that i don't know. Apparently they're decent players (There words) but none of us have played them before. It's been so long since i played someone new, I've been thinking about what i should be looking for.I was thinking the obvious like:-

How many flops they see
    How often they raise pre flop
    Position of raises
    3 bet frequency
    limp fold to a raise.

Are there any other things that you think would better my chances? We usually play £20 buyin, winner takes all, and i want that £160 lol

Thanks for any replies
    I would sit back and watch how they play for a while before getting to involved with them. I think that all of the things that you said are important especially limp fold to a raise in a home game. Another thing you might want to watch out for is what types of hands they are getting to showdown with. Best of luck this weekend.
    When I see them calling from the blinds with what I consider crap, open limping or playing suited crap from early position I label them fish and take there money at every chance. If they are open raising, folding the blinds and playing well from position I would play a little more cautious.
    cheers guys for your response, i will update the thread after the game and hopefully tell you I won.
    Jyms, suited fish are always something i keep an eye out for. Lost sooo many big pots to fish playing crap cos it's suited...But also won a fair few aswell
    While I've made this thread about home games, i may as well ask (out of curiosity), how does everyone sort there starting stacks and blinds? We tend to play deep stacks and start the blinds at 10-20, going up every 10 mins. Normally start with around 6K but thats mostly due to the chip range we have (5,10,25,50,100,1k,2k) and because we like the longer games....More poker
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEovMANTON View Post
    While I've made this thread about home games, i may as well ask (out of curiosity), how does everyone sort there starting stacks and blinds? We tend to play deep stacks and start the blinds at 10-20, going up every 10 mins. Normally start with around 6K but thats mostly due to the chip range we have (5,10,25,50,100,1k,2k) and because we like the longer games....More poker
    We start with 5,000 and blinds of 25/50.

Default Ace Poker Drills or PokerZion

Hey Mike, I think you can try with ace poker drills or PokerZion. I am practicing with these at home. They teaches me a lot of poker tricks to win in a table. It can be so much helpful for you to know flops, pre-flops, raising etc.
    Update on my home game.....It all went tits up. one mate decided to have a quiet night with the wench, another mate was late at work (so his mates didn't come). Ended up with 4 of us so decided to do a small cash game, 1p/2p no limmit. Just for fun more than anything. Anyway,my 9 year old son decided that he wanted to play. After some uhming and arreing i decided he could, and gave him £2. He has been watching me play online for quite a while now and will often sit there and ask questions about why i folded or why i raised etc etc. Long story short, he ended up going to bed about 3 hours later and almost £11 up
    Watching him play was crazy. Every big pot he was in, i was sure he was behind. But every time he showed down, he was miles in front. He lost quite a few small/mid sized pots but it seemed like every big pot he was in, he won with ease.
    Next time he watches me online, i think i will be the one asking questions.
    The morale of the story is, if you've kids, teach them young, they are proper scary at the felt.

I won £3.20
    How much did your kid end up winning?
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroguy View Post
    How much did your kid end up winning?
    He said the kid won £11 from £2 which is fantastic looks like a future WSOP champ!
    For future reference, this site

http://blindvalet.com/

Is free and has everything you need to design a home-game tourney. Just click the start button on that link and have fun playing with all the different options.
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEovMANTON View Post
    Every big pot he was in, i was sure he was behind. But every time he showed down, he was miles in front. He lost quite a few small/mid sized pots but it seemed like every big pot he was in, he won with ease.
    Sounds like the villains at my tables unfortunately for me.