Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

AK in some weird preflop action.

Default AK in some weird preflop action.

Full Tilt Poker Game #2136862294: Table Unbridled (6 max) - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:26:34 ET - 2007/04/04
    Seat 1: steviezukes ($71.60)
    Seat 2: This2ShallPass ($16.95)
    Seat 3: WEST 36 ($18.20)
    Seat 4: SHN ($50)
    Seat 5: rce ($33.25)
    Seat 6: trias55 ($59.30)
    WEST 36 posts the small blind of $0.25
    SHN posts the big blind of $0.50
    The button is in seat #2
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to trias55 [Ac Ks]
    rce calls $0.50
    trias55 raises to $2
    steviezukes folds
    This2ShallPass raises to $16.95, and is all in
    WEST 36 folds
    SHN calls $16.45
    rce folds
    trias55: cold call??

Your thoughts?

Short stack looks like your standard short stack donk. SHN I don't have any reads on.
    My read, SHN has like JJ/QQ. You can call and flip the flop with him due to all the dead money. Shortie most likely has 99/TT/AQ/AK.

I dont fault a fold but had he not coldcalled Im pretty sure you were going to call shorties push right?
    Yeah, I would have called shorties push. Your read is spot on by the way, shortie had 99, and SHN had JJ. I folded, but you're right, calling would have probably been the best way to go.

I was considering calling, but I got to thinking of the AK-AQ shorty shoves and got a little worried about just calling against an apparent JJ-QQ, (and worst case scenario, AA). AK is probably in his range also. But a call seems pretty good in hindsight. I wussed out beacuse I was sorta confused by SHN's play here I think.
    cjs55.. don't post results so fast! Let others chyme in first

In any case, I don't think you can _call_, but that doesn't mean you should fold. I think a push is definitely an option here.

I don't think we should worry about shorty, he can be pushing with anything, any pair. He's pushing other players out, so its not that strong of a hand I wouldn't think.

The cold call is worrisome, but you're only really dominated by AA, and tons of dead money. Pushhhhhhh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    Sorry about posting the results! I'll know better next time.

Lets see: If SHN is JJ-AA, AK+, and fish shorty is 77+ AQ+ (i don't think he's going with all pairs here)...time to poker stove this.

Damn, Poker stoving is a pain when there is a side pot.

Well, at least I can figure out that I win both main pot and side pot 24.3% of the time against their ranges. That's helpful!
    Probably call and get allin on a A or K board. I don't think folding is really bad though either.
    weird spot, i probably can find a fold here. when we call, we´re seeing a flop without a pair yet and with ~$50 already in the middle we can´t fold to bets <$10.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    xtr stand for exotic tranny retards
    yo
    Wow.. none of you guys are pushing here?

It just seems pretty weak to me to call a 1/3rd of our effective stacks here and hope to hit an A or K (only 1/4 of the time) and if we do hit, we probably won't get paid off necessarily.

Where are massimo and iowa when you need them? I'm sure those guys are pushing all day here!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    FWIW against shorties today I was absolutely appauled with what they turned over. Everytime I was making crying calls I had atleast 75% equity in the pot. Don't give his raise respect at all.

SHN is the one to be worried about here. When he doesn't push we know we can rule out Aces at this level. Pushing does give us some fold equity because when you put more money into the pot when there is someone all-in players tend to give you respect for a larger hand. Therefore, you can hold 48% equity getting 2:1 on a call, a very profitable situation. And if SHN doesn't fold, you're still way ahead equity wise.

If SHN is OK at all I think he can fold JJ here to your 4bet push Arrrrin.