Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Sup guys. Here's some hands at 50NL.

Default Sup guys. Here's some hands at 50NL.

So after finishing exams etc I've now got loads of time as opposed to zero. that means it's back to the grind and trying to build a BR over the summer.

Be interested to hear some line checks and thoughts concerning these three hands I've just played this afternoon.

Description - Villain is an unknown reg. He's running like 38/32 over a sample of like 30 hands, this I assume is likely just variance although perhaps indicates he's more likely on the LAG side. No real reads

My thoughts (optional read) - Sizing is pretty big and a bit polarizing. I don't see AK here too often from regs in these games with this size. He might have more 7x than most if he's a bit loser preflop. This really isn't a spot I see regs triple often. My range is Ax at worst and they generally don't expect too many folds on this river. Also, how many weak Axs hands are really calling here preflop? There is a fish in the SB, which suggests I can have more Axs than usual, but I doubt that's relevant to his range here in this spot. Think folding here is probably best.

[U]The Hand[U]

Poker Stars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) - Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($40.28)
    BB ($58.42)
    UTG ($51)
    Hero (MP) ($50)
    Button ($61.78)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q, A
    UTG bets $1.75, Hero calls $1.75, 3 folds

Flop: ($4.25) 7, A, J (2 players)
    UTG bets $3.24, Hero calls $3.24

Turn: ($10.73) 7 (2 players)
    UTG bets $6.15, Hero calls $6.15

River: ($23.03) 6 (2 players)
    UTG bets $18.50, Hero?

Description: Villain is a 50/22 fish who never folds to 3-bets of this size. Postflop he's passive and stationy, not really the type to bluff raise much or get too crazy. I've been 3 betting him a lot (for value) He views me as aggro and annoying.

My Thoughts: This might be pretty standard. I size to get this in over three streets, turn isn't the best but I can still get called by any Qx and maybe some Jx on the river. Here's a stove for a calling range on the river:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 47.000% 47.00% 00.00% 47 0.00 { KcKd }
    Hand 1: 53.000% 53.00% 00.00% 53 0.00 { ATs+, K9s+, Q9s+, JTs, T6s+, 98s, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo, T9o

This assumes he never makes terrible calls with random jacks or worse hands and may be on the conservative side. We have just under 50% equity. Shoving can't be bad. Overall I think a jam is fine here and likely better than any line that starts with check.

[U]The Hand[U]

Poker Stars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) - Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($25.36)
    MP ($54.90)
    Button ($48.02)
    Hero (SB) ($51.47)
    BB ($98.86)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, K
    2 folds, Button bets $1.50, Hero raises $5, 1 fold, Button calls $3.75

Flop: ($11) J, 10, 10 (2 players)
    Hero bets $5.50, Button calls $5.50

Turn: ($22) Q (2 players)
    Hero bets $10.50, Button calls $10.50

River: ($43) 6 (2 players)
    [color=#CC3333]Hero?

Total pot: $96.54

Description: Villain is 23/0, basically a random passive looking fish I don't know much about yet.

My Thoughts: I could barrel this turn with plenty of equity, can;t be too bad and maybe we even fold out A high or other air he fish-floats the flop with. On the other hand, it looks like he just isn't folding much of his flop calling range.

The Hand

Poker Stars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) - Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($52.64)
    Button ($50)
    SB ($50.75)
    BB ($50)
    UTG ($50)
    Hero (MP) ($69.36)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A, 8
    1 fold, Hero bets $1.50, CO calls $1.50, 3 folds

Flop: ($3.75) 5, 2, 6 (2 players)
    Hero bets $2.50, CO calls $2.50

Turn: ($8.75) 7 (2 players)
    Hero?
    Hand 1: I agree with your thoughts and think it is a fold.

Hand 2: I don't like your sizing. He's a fish, so the bigger you bet the more money you make.

Hand 3: I was going to say triple this board, but I am not sure after thinking about how many bad river cards there will be for us...
    My plan for hand 2 was to size the turn more on the small side to make sure his calling range is wide. I'd really like it to include all Jx and shit like 88 here on this turn. I'm not sure we're fist pump value betting on this texture, and I figured I could still get it in over 3 streets and keep his stack off range widest this way. It may be that it doesn't change it though and we can size flop and turn bigger.
    hand 1 i think is kind of close because some regs at 25-50nl 6m are just mindlessly aggressive. but i think his large river size is more indicative of a strong hand than a triple-bluff with KTs or whatever. that said i probably can't fold this in play.

hand 2 i like a shove. he'll call with any J or Q and i'm actually slightly inclined to discount Tx (except JT/QT) when he doesn't min-raise you on the flop or turn.

hand 3 i'm firing because fish don't fold overcards to one bet and so we get better aces and other air with equity (of which there are heaps of hand combinations) to fold. i've been 2-barreling fish a heap lately with relatively high (yet potentially results-oriented) success simply because they can't fold two overcards to a single bet on the flop. leaving turn ranges full of air etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    hand 2 i like a shove. he'll call with any J or Q and i'm actually slightly inclined to discount Tx (except JT/QT) when he doesn't min-raise you on the flop or turn.
    Yeah good thinking, I agree we can discount Tx a good bit and this makes it a pretty clear jam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroters View Post
    My plan for hand 2 was to size the turn more on the small side to make sure his calling range is wide.
    Don't need to do this against loose/passives who call too much.

HOWEVER, half potting here does wonderfully set-up double barreling them as they will peel the half pot bet with an even wider range and still dump pretty much everything to the big money on the turn.

Just in this case, you actually have a hand and want to blast away hoping he's got something to call lots of money with.

Hand 3:
    I check this flop if I'm not comfortable double/triple barreling for the reasons RPM said. You got an Ace, don't hate checking this down. Every hand doesn't have to be GAS GAS GAS.
    Last edited by Fnord; 06-06-2012 at 04:45 PM.