Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

6-8 tables vs 16 tables

Default 6-8 tables vs 16 tables

i play 25 nl on PS 16 tables a time and i managed a 2.1ptbb/100 hands over 500k hands.

last month or so, because i was feeling very tired i dropped to 6-8 tables because i couldnt concentrate on 16 anymore.

i have seen that even my stats are the same, my winrate went up to 4.7ptbb/100 hands over 70k hands playing 6-8 tables

my question is, which is my real level for 25nl, the 4.7ptbb/100 on 6-8 tables or the 2.1ptbb/100 on 16 tables and why is this difference given that my stats are the same in both cases and the sample size is big enough for the 6-8 tables sessions.
    All posts are just my own opinion about a hand or a general situation... not advices on how you should play...
    Sample size isn't big enough at either table amount although in both samples you know you are a winner with nearly 100% confidence.

But anyway obviously there is a direct correlation between number of tables and winrate. I have no clue why you would want to play 16 tables at 25NL anyway. It stunts your growth really early on. Maybe grind a few hours a week 16 tabling if you feel it gives you a slightly higher hourly or you have some VPP roles but otherwise I would stick to low # of tables and try to move up.

Also if you are playing only 6-8 tables you can focus a little more on looking for softs spots at 50NL if you are nearly rolled but don't want to sit in 8 games right away.
    I think the odds are a lot better on smaller tables. I prefer smaller tables for online poker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icanhastreebet View Post
    But anyway obviously there is a direct correlation between number of tables and winrate. I have no clue why you would want to play 16 tables at 25NL anyway. .
    i am a weak poker player and i am aware of that,i also cant stand variance and i tilt easy and because of this i miss a lot of +EV spots on the long term because i am afraid to lose a stack now.

so i tryed to compensate my weak,safe and tight playing styles w/ high volume and i have seen that playing 16 tables makes me money, but i make money not because i know how to play, but because PS has a huge player pool and 80% are way worse then i am at this game.

money is the only reason i play, to increase my income would be a good way just move up to 50nl but i know for a fact that i am not ready for that as playing style not as BR.

that why i asked why this difference in the win rate between number of tables, because if i could work out my win rate on 16 tables to 3-3.5ptbb/100 i would be more then happy at least for a while until i prepare myself for the 50's.
    All posts are just my own opinion about a hand or a general situation... not advices on how you should play...
    move up.
    I highly doubt you were the same player in the first 100k of hands @ 25nl and the 400-500th 100k.
    70k hands can't determine your winrate. But generally the more attention you can pay to a table the better decisions you can make.
    You might consider "testing the water" at 50 to help assess how ready or not your game is to move up. Just play one table at first (and none at your usual 25 lvl) so you can direct your entire attention to getting a feel for the game and the opponents at 50. If and when you feel comfortable, you can start adding tables. If you feel meaningfully uncomfortable because you're game doesn't seem up to snuff, you can always try again after you've improved. If it's due to having more money on the table, you can set up a program of exposures to desensitize yourself.
    what site is this on
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjonius View Post
    You might consider "testing the water" at 50 to help assess how ready or not your game is to move up. Just play one table at first (and none at your usual 25 lvl) so you can direct your entire attention to getting a feel for the game and the opponents at 50. If and when you feel comfortable, you can start adding tables. If you feel meaningfully uncomfortable because you're game doesn't seem up to snuff, you can always try again after you've improved. If it's due to having more money on the table, you can set up a program of exposures to desensitize yourself.
    One tabling is just a huge waste of time. That is all.
    wow 500 k hands at 25 nl. sick stuff. move up dude. don't really understand why you ask since ur bankroll must be exploding. Just reserve like 5 buy ins for 50 nl and give it a go. can't know if your ready if you haven't tried
    yeah wtf that's like 7k, how havn't u moved up... ?
    yeah wtf that's like 7k, how havn't u moved up... ?
    my BR is 1k, i cash out every 2-3 days everything above 1k because i havent been working last 4months due to some changes in my life.
    If you want poker to supplement your income, get a part-time job for now to pay for bills and cut out a lot of excess spending for the next 4-6 months.

Grow your BR, move to 50nl, 100nl if possible and stop cutting your balls by cashing out. You'll thank me in a year. Once you hit 50 or 100nl (whatever you deem is enough) work your way up to a comfortable BR (I mean, seriously comfortable, like 75 BIs at least), pad your bank account so you have 3-6 months of bills ready to be paid for, and start the grind-a-thon.
    Quote Originally Posted by dranger7070 View Post
    If you want poker to supplement your income, get a part-time job for now to pay for bills and cut out a lot of excess spending for the next 4-6 months.

Grow your BR, move to 50nl, 100nl if possible and stop cutting your balls by cashing out. You'll thank me in a year. Once you hit 50 or 100nl (whatever you deem is enough) work your way up to a comfortable BR (I mean, seriously comfortable, like 75 BIs at least), pad your bank account so you have 3-6 months of bills ready to be paid for, and start the grind-a-thon.
    Yeah basically this or grind really hardcore for a couple of months. I don't see how HAVING to win just about every session you play isn't stressful. Anyways after you start to grind super hardcore you may be able to hit supernova and have enough fpps for 4k bonus. Buy this and move up.

Also like dranger said cut out ANY expenses you don't need. This will allow to you grow your bankroll faster. I don't know if a parttime job is better.

Your hourly should be like 12$/hr(without rakeback) so grinding super hardcore might be better then a part time job but basically a 10$/hr parttime job is just super stress free money. Iunno about minimum rage where you live and shit though so 12$/hr might be bank where you live but if 12$/hr is okay/good money where you live then imagine if you were making 100$/hr grinding 100NL?
    average month income in my country is 500$ / month... the way i play now i make 1.2-1.5k/ month with rakeback so i am doing ok vs monthly expenses, but like you said, every day feels like crap because i cant allow myself to lose or breakeven a day, to feel ok, i need to be up at least one BI every end of session.

i'd like to move up at least to 50's, if i were doing 2k constant would be more then enough in my country( it's an executive income here) but i dont feel ready since my game it's still just a bot over ABC basics and i cant afford to have a bad month yet until i get comfortable w/ 50nl.

that's why i am trying to increase my 25nl income w/ 300-500$ more so i could give a shot to the 50's in a month or two w/ a 30BI BR at least. this is why i brought up the difference in tables, hoping someone could help me a bit ( of course i am trying to improve my game, but seems my pace is kinda slow)
    Quote Originally Posted by Razvan729 View Post
    average month income in my country is 500$ / month... the way i play now i make 1.2-1.5k/ month with rakeback so i am doing ok vs monthly expenses, but like you said, every day feels like crap because i cant allow myself to lose or breakeven a day, to feel ok, i need to be up at least one BI every end of session.

i'd like to move up at least to 50's, if i were doing 2k constant would be more then enough in my country( it's an executive income here) but i dont feel ready since my game it's still just a bot over ABC basics and i cant afford to have a bad month yet until i get comfortable w/ 50nl.

that's why i am trying to increase my 25nl income w/ 300-500$ more so i could give a shot to the 50's in a month or two w/ a 30BI BR at least. this is why i brought up the difference in tables, hoping someone could help me a bit ( of course i am trying to improve my game, but seems my pace is kinda slow)
    I think with your winrate you are doing fine atm. If I were you I would start taking X% of what I've made and putting it back into my bankroll. Basically you want to have X amount for nut(not %). This is your monthly expenses. You should have this separate from everything else you should have at least 6months of expenses ready to go. You also want to be withdrawing X% of profit for emergency funds which are basically just savings unless you REALLY need them. This should not be mixed with the 6months expenses. The other X% should go BACK into poker as this is where you have a huge ROI at the moment. I mean you've already turned 1k into like 8k which is HUGE ROI and obviously probably your best option atm.

For now I wouldn't put a very large % of X into savings but as you move up in stakes it becomes more valuable to be saving for a house or w/e then to put money back into your bankroll. At 25NL the percentage that goes back into your bankroll should probably be like 90%(this is after your monthly nut remember).

Maybe I'm wrong but this is the best advice I can offer to you.
    +1 to icanhastreebet.

Sounds like you're damn near at boss status in your country, nice work!

I highly recommend getting some coaching from bikes. He will definitely plug some of your leaks in a matter of a couple sessions if you take to heart what he says. His price is INSANELY low for the services he offers compared to others doing the same thing.

That should allow you to move up even faster than deciding what number of tables to play.
    i know this guy's sn, I doubt it's true lol

even if it's not on stars, his stars sn suggests he aint winning elsewhere

liars gon' lie
    haters gonna hate i guess

@op you can't really get a super accurate idea of your winrate because even over really large samples your gameplay is changing significantly
    +1 to icanhastreebet.

Sounds like you're damn near at boss status in your country, nice work!

I highly recommend getting some coaching from bikes. He will definitely plug some of your leaks in a matter of a couple sessions if you take to heart what he says. His price is INSANELY low for the services he offers compared to others doing the same thing.

That should allow you to move up even faster than deciding what number of tables to play.
    I think this is great advice! Bikes will be able to point out where you are weak in your already winning game and prolly give you that confidence to move up when you have the roll.
    GL with what ever you decide but fuck off out of the 25s before I get back there.

@ huey just fuck off in general
    I think with your winrate you are doing fine atm. If I were you I would start taking X% of what I've made and putting it back into my bankroll. Basically you want to have X amount for nut(not %). This is your monthly expenses. You should have this separate from everything else you should have at least 6months of expenses ready to go. You also want to be withdrawing X% of profit for emergency funds which are basically just savings unless you REALLY need them. This should not be mixed with the 6months expenses. The other X% should go BACK into poker as this is where you have a huge ROI at the moment. I mean you've already turned 1k into like 8k which is HUGE ROI and obviously probably your best option atm.

For now I wouldn't put a very large % of X into savings but as you move up in stakes it becomes more valuable to be saving for a house or w/e then to put money back into your bankroll. At 25NL the percentage that goes back into your bankroll should probably be like 90%(this is after your monthly nut remember).

Maybe I'm wrong but this is the best advice I can offer to you.
    nice advice

@ razvan - if $500 is average wage and you're withdrawing and spending $2k then you're withdrawing too much and spending too much. Live cheap for a couple of months (like, live on average wage), chuck $3k into savings, then don't worry about withdrawing for a few months cos you have heaps of life $$ to back yourself up. You'll move up, and you'll be fine.

I mean, shit, it's all about liferoll management. pm if you want to talk about it, i started typing a response using me as an example, but this thread ain't about me.
    Can we ban Huey please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey_Freeman View Post
    i know this guy's sn, I doubt it's true lol

even if it's not on stars, his stars sn suggests he aint winning elsewhere

liars gon' lie
    even if you are right this post has about zero relevance to this thread, so why post such junk?
    Can we ban Huey please?
    He may not have the best forum savvy but he has contributed to then strat forums fairly decently and we have so little traffic there. Lots of short answers and little discussion so far but I think he has potential to be a decent strat poster and has a winning garph in the BC so I say no, not yet.
    I'm not banning anyone who 'contributes'. Cause it's wrong apparently.

?wut
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    nice advice

@ razvan - if $500 is average wage and you're withdrawing and spending $2k then you're withdrawing too much and spending too much. Live cheap for a couple of months (like, live on average wage), chuck $3k into savings, then don't worry about withdrawing for a few months cos you have heaps of life $$ to back yourself up. You'll move up, and you'll be fine.

I mean, shit, it's all about liferoll management. pm if you want to talk about it, i started typing a response using me as an example, but this thread ain't about me.
    i am cahsing out just 1.2-1.5k like i said, but like i said somewhere above, some changes in my life make this expenses needed for some while ( married last year in july, my first baby boy coming this may/june, relocations in a new city, house work, etc )
    ban huey imo

complete c%*t
    [20:19] <Zill4> god
    [20:19] <Zill4> u guys
    [20:19] <Zill4> so fking hopeless
    [20:19] <Zill4> and dumb
    Ban people who want people banned imo. Except me and dranger.

This thread inspires me, for real. It doesn't seem that long ago to me that razvan joined this site, and was giving me the impression his game needed a lot of work, much like mine. I saw him in the same place as me. He's got a lot further than I have in this time, so I say well done to you, best of luck, you show me what hard work can do. I'd love to be cashing out $1.5k a month, seems an eternity away.

Congrats on getting married, and the child.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    I'm no math wiz but it seems to me if you're seeing more than double the winrate playing 1/2 the tables you should keep doing that. Obv I'm not factoring in rakeback.
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.