Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

How do you drink (and hold) more alcohol?

Default How do you drink (and hold) more alcohol?

I'm considered a medium-weight and tonight we're probably going to go drink together. We don't drink beer, all we drink is hard liquor. The only secret I know is eat a lot of food before drinking. Can anyone give me any other tips on how Id be able to drink and hold a lot of alcohol?
    boot and rally
    LOL OPERATIONS
    become spongebob!
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    practice makes perfect
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    If the point of drinking is to get drunk, why are you trying to prolong the inevitable? It seems to me that paying less to achieve your target would be a good thing.
    well, the point of drinking is a prolonged looseness for me. It takes a steady approach to achieve for any stretch of time.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    milk.
    3k post - Return of the blog!
    aah, the self awareness and finding your balance point. Always a tough thing to do with a bunch of you college drunks shoving drinks at you and calling you names. Usually it's the ones with a tolerance for the fast pace too.
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla
    practice makes perfect
    This.

You must train, grasshopper.
    drink water in between drinks
    3 3 3 I'm only half evil.
    milk is said to line the gut as already pointed out - but never seems to do much for me. definately eating before is a great idea that will line the gut. but also will fill you up so it's harder to drink. So a good idea. Should never drink on an empty stomach (although if i'm honest I know it's also hard to drink on a full stomach lol).

If we use an analogy you've jumpd straight into the deep end playing 100nl tables. Hard grogg is hard for a reason. Its very hard to remain sensible if you consume it any quantity.

Pace yourself that's the best advice, everytime one of your mates buys a drink make sure you're still drinking yours, drink 1 for every two they drink and you'll stay sober. Well relatively sober anyhow ;=)

The best advice though is just stay sensible my friend. Of course we drink for effect, anyone that says otherwise is lieing but just stay sensible. Most of all enjoy yourself, and go with the flow.

I was out today with a free bar and a free meal (well paid for in advance so technically not free - but you get the idea) but I'm home sober sensible, playing poker and chatting in FTR -and the reason is because I had enough to enjoy myself but stopped when I felt myself getting pissed!

It all just depends what kind of night you're after, the main thing is you enjoy yourself mate. You mention you're known for a middleweight - is that because you get drunk easily or dont drink vast quantities of booze?

It's not a negative not to drink gallons of booze!

Have a good night my friend.

Default Re: How do you drink (and hold) more alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by AFchung
    I'm considered a medium-weight and tonight we're probably going to go drink together. We don't drink beer, all we drink is hard liquor. The only secret I know is eat a lot of food before drinking. Can anyone give me any other tips on how Id be able to drink and hold a lot of alcohol?
    Get buzzed and slow down

Stay at the "buzzed level" and then order a glass of water with everyone of your drinks. Don't order your next drink till you finish the water. If you stay at one drink every 30ish minutes, you can drink all night long, stay loose, and you'll have nothing when it comes to a hangover the next day.

This is more of a "stretch" method than an increase your tolerance method. The only way to do that is to drink.. a often. But like Jyms said? Why? If you're lookin' to get toasty, it's better to get there cheaply.

Also: Alcohol tolerance is NOT a measure of your body weight as we once originally believed. Sure body weight has something to do with it, but there is an enzyme in your stomach that catalyzes alcohol. Surprisingly enough, red meat, and pickled things (eggs, pickles, pigs feet, sausages )help foster this enzyme. Also, drinking on back to back nights causes rapid increase of this enzyme in your body.

Final word of warning. There is an old myth that drinking an entire fifth once enables you to do it again at a later date. Any time you drink an entire fifth of alcohol you've officially taken your life into your hands, and may be dead while you're walking.
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes
    ps if when you've consumed 20 litres of jd you want to play poker when you get back PM me. hehe

jk
    go get the drinks from the bar
    just order a coke with lime and bitters for yourself and get doubles for the rest of the party

a few rounds of this should take care of eveything

can i be in the rest of the party?
    Quote Originally Posted by flomo
    go get the drinks from the bar
    just order a coke with lime and bitters for yourself and get doubles for the rest of the party

a few rounds of this should take care of eveything

can i be in the rest of the party?
    LOL haha.. the things we do for friends... OK i'll come to, to make up the rest of the party.
    Ok here is what I do

For beer: Do not eat like 6-8 hours before drinking, don't drink anything either. Just go for an empty hungry stomach and drink that beer.
    Sometimes I puke from drinking beer just because the tank gets full and honestly it happens to everyone (unless you are a pussy) if that happens the con is that alcohol you puked didn't get into your bloodstream but the plus is you can drink more.

With liquor:
    Shots: Do em quick, down the hatch open up your throat and hope for the best. Do a few in a row take it easy and repeat. I find doing like 4 shots in a row every hour lets say is easier than doing a shot every 15 minutes.

Mixed Drinks: ICE ICE ICE, do not do like 2 shots fill the glass with pop and then put in an ice cube. Fill the glass full with ice pour in the shots then fill with pop etc. A lot of people puke from mixed drinks because there stomach is filled with some much pop/sugary mixer.

And of course practice makes perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhappy333
    I didn't think its Bold to bang some chick with my bro. but i guess so... thats +EV in my book.
    thanks for all the advice guys i didn't see to explain myself well enough. we're not looking for a fun night out, we're seeing who can drink more of the heavy stuff ;P so we're talking shot after shot in rapid succession

any tricks before our "competition" that i can use? so far i've decided to eat a heavy load of mcdonalds and i think i'll do alright
    i miss college
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by AFchung
    thanks for all the advice guys i didn't see to explain myself well enough. we're not looking for a fun night out, we're seeing who can drink more of the heavy stuff ;P so we're talking shot after shot in rapid succession

any tricks before our "competition" that i can use? so far i've decided to eat a heavy load of mcdonalds and i think i'll do alright
    Fail

This is mentally retarded. Competitive drinking is terribad.
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes
    If you wana get real drunk do a liquor enema
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhappy333
    I didn't think its Bold to bang some chick with my bro. but i guess so... thats +EV in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar4
    Fail

This is mentally retarded. Competitive drinking is terribad.
    qq.

college.
    Shot competitions are a recipe for disaster. It takes about 30 min for you to feel the full effect of a shot (or any alcohol actually), so it's possible to down more than you can handle before you even know how much the first shot has hit you.

As for drinking prep.
    1) Eating. Eat chipotle, or a pasta meal (and be finished) 2-3 hours before you start drinking. You'll be a little full at first which slows you down some, but will be good for the long haul.
    2) Practice. I recommend finding a good happy hour and going once a week for a couple months. We had $1 well drinks, where a $2 double was a pint glass with better than 1:1, alcohol:mix.

Also, having 3-4 drinks a night does a great job of maintaining your ability.

I'd like to re-iterate that your plan is completely retarded. It's seriously how people die. Hope you group made it fine.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Easiest way to tell a rookie drinker is someone specifically telling you the exact amount they drank.

Seriously, who counts?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigspenda73
    Easiest way to tell a rookie drinker is someone specifically telling you the exact amount they drank.

Seriously, who counts?
    True dat. My response to "how much have you had?", "What time is it?"
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Practice is the only real way to increase your tollerance.
    I puked on shot 99 of century club one time

Worst/best feeling of my life.

I won a contest against a buddy where we took a shot of vodka every 10 minutes until one person puked. I think he threw up around shot 8-9. Nothing impressive but I was glad he did b/c I was about to die.

Default Re: How do you drink (and hold) more alcohol?

Stay at the "buzzed level" and then order a glass of water with everyone of your drinks. Don't order your next drink till you finish the water. If you stay at one drink every 30ish minutes, you can drink all night long, stay loose, and you'll have nothing when it comes to a hangover the next day.

+1, I did this for my leaving party just before I went travelling round Oz, and It's an awesome trick to use, we were drinking for a good 10 hours, and I felt (almost) sober.