Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Give Me Three Minutes and I'll Make You a Better Bluffer

Default Give Me Three Minutes and I'll Make You a Better Bluffer

Last edited by spoonitnow; 02-26-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    Nice posts cheers for that good read One question I have is why should you have a range for bluffing, if your main goal is for you not to show your cards down and take the pot anyway. I'm sure you could double and triple barrel with any two pocket cards if you pick the right spots, or am I missing the point altogether. There have been times I have triple barrelled with nothing but pure air and it has worked, something like 54s, 87o for example.

Or is the range a way to help with picking better spots to bluff
    Last edited by MrFerguson91; 02-26-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    Let's say it checks to you on the river. In general, you should be:

1. Value betting with your best hands.
    2. Checking with your medium-strength hands.
    3. Bluffing with your worst hands.

If you bluff with a medium-strength hand, that's wasting its showdown value. Does that make sense?
    MrF you also have to figure in your opponent. At 2nl , bluffing with air is questionable simply due to villain tendencies being to call with weak hands. As you move up and players get better you will be able to get them to fold weak hands , but generally at 2nl you want to value bet the hell out of villains and exploit the fact that they call to much , and bluff infrequently to exploit them by not barreling into someone who will never fold.
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post

If you bluff with a medium-strength hand, that's wasting its showdown value. Does that make sense?
    Yes I get ya now cheers
    If it is checked to you and you hold a medium strength hand and you reckon know you are beat at the showdown would you check it down anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    MrF you also have to figure in your opponent. At 2nl , bluffing with air is questionable simply due to villain tendencies being to call with weak hands. As you move up and players get better you will be able to get them to fold weak hands , but generally at 2nl you want to value bet the hell out of villains and exploit the fact that they call to much , and bluff infrequently to exploit them by not barreling into someone who will never fold.
    I agree with this but from playin a lot of 2nl recently they aren't all complete fish the competition can be difficult sometimes when you are up against people who play the game properly(ish), them TAGS that you play against every so often. I have been getting a lot better results at 2nl by mixing up my game a bit, not a lot now but when I get good reads on an opponent I can make some tricky plays that are winning me nice pots without a showdown. I was +$16 from 900 hands yesterday over 3 tables and was playin a slightly different way than usual, I may have been runnin well just so I suppose a bigger sample would be needed to see if my game is really getting any better
    Usually the only time I would double or triple barrel is when I suspect someone is on a draw and the draw misses OTT and OTR
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFerguson91 View Post
    Yes I get ya now cheers
    If it is checked to you and you hold a medium strength hand and you reckon know you are beat at the showdown would you check it down anyway?
    Your hand strength is relative to your opponents range. Whether you should bet a hand as a bluff on the river depends on a number of factors such as how much fold equity you think you have & whether you are IP or not.
    Ahh right I see, cheers
    wow nice advise, thank you for sharing this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.okedomino.com
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post

Yes, this makes perfect sense. I try not to overplay hands on the river in spot #2.