Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Snowboard Jacket and Pants

Default Snowboard Jacket and Pants

Dudes,

Going on a trip next Saturday, 1/22, and realizing that my snowboarding outerwear is pretty dated and raggedy. I got a burton tek jacket and god knows what pants. I'd like to replace both. I'm not sure how much I want to spend for each but I think I'm going to put a ceiling around 200-300 (dunno about 300) for the jacket. Assuming less for pants. Also need to be able to ship to me overnight/2days for obvious reasons.

Suggestions where to search or any specific jackets?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Also for requirements, less on the warmth side, more on the dry and extra features. I don't get cold easily, I snowboard mostly out on the west coast so its usually not negative temperatures. However, I do a lot of back country and spend a lot of time in high drifts so it's important my jacket is very water proof. I'd prefer a thinnner jacket over a fluffy or down jacket.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Can I assume you want pink?
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyLaRue View Post
    Can I assume you want pink?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    I just got a new burton jacket this year, and it's got their "dryride" techmology. It's fucking wicked -- not superheavy, but really dry and the hood is f'n wicked at diverting the wind away. when it's around freezing, you can probably get away with one long-sleeved shirt under it, add layers as it gets colder etc.

no idea where to buy this shit online, I got mine at an end of season sale last year for like $120. looks like this:

Dozer, I was looking at the Burton site this morning. Dry ride is a feature for a lot of the jackets but not the actual jacket name, etc. I will definitely make sure my jacket has something similar but I'm getting a lot of good vibes from the new burton stuff
    LOL OPERATIONS
    ok bigred, since I have a little bit of a mancrush on you, I actually dug around my jacket and found the name for you:

Burton Stroker (for all your stroking needs)

This is mine (except mine's the dark gray from the one above)

Burton Stroker Jacket - Men's - 09/10 from Dogfunk.com
    so i found a sweet jacket and pants from 686.

Let's do goggles now. Mine are shit. I'm thinking oakley but what model? I'm open to others as well.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Oakley's are absolutely awesome at cutting out glare in snowy conditions.
    Poker is easy, it's winning at poker that's hard.
    Preface: I have very sensitive eyes and can get major headaches if the glare is too bad so I am pretty picky in that category.

I have a pair of Niki sunglasses that I wear for tennis. I will see if I can find a pic/model for them and will post it, but they are light, don't fog up at all and cut out every bit of glare. They are also half the price as Oakley's (I got them at Dick's Sporting Goods).
    regarding the Oakley model just go with what you prefer (I would suggest something in their sport gategory) as you can rarely go wrong. The only thing you may want to consider is on open (i.e not framed) bottom as they don't fog up as easily as fully framed glasses do.
    This is the next generation of the model I have. I have the Skylon EXP and these are the Skylon Ace.

You can see them here - NikeStore. Shop the Official Nike Store for Shoes, Clothing & Gear

muh dragon goggles are the shit
    you looking for goggles or glasses?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    Let's do men now.
    ffs I tried to quote the original, but I couldn't help myself with the edit
    I love my Dragons so much.
    Look for last year's model if you want to save a ton of cash usually. When I bought the Dragons that I have currently they has just come out with the new year's version and I ended up getting mine for like 25 bucks brand new while the new version was around 150.

I've also owned a decent pair of Smith, and obviously Oakley's are high quality.
    [00:29] <daven> dc, why not check turn behind
    [00:30] <DC> daven
    [00:30] <DC> on my hand?
    [00:30] <daven> yep
    [00:30] <DC> because I am drunk
    [00:30] <daven> nice reason
    [00:30] <daven> no further questions
    [00:30] <yaawn> ^^Lol

Problem officer...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Donachello View Post
    Look for last year's model if you want to save a ton of cash usually.
    QFMFT
    i have a burton AK jacket which is awesome and should be able to find it for around 300 online somewhere, especially last years model which i like better anyways.

Goggles: Electric EG2 are by far my favorite pair, i like not having to see any of the rim in my peripherals, anon hawkeye are pretty sweet to.
    Last edited by fulksy; 01-12-2011 at 07:23 PM.
    put on some fucking carharts and ride like a man
    Quote Originally Posted by fulksy View Post
    i have a burton AK jacket which is awesome and should be able to find it for around 300 online somewhere, especially last years model which i like better anyways.

Goggles: Electric EG2 are by far my favorite pair, i like not having to see any of the rim in my peripherals, anon hawkeye are pretty sweet to.
    AK jacket had a lot of bad reviews online fwiw so I decided to stay away from it. I also didn't want to spend that much.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    muh dragon goggles are the shit
    Right, I need to check these out
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Which mountain are yhou going to be on?

***iphone on verizon ---i'm all over it***
    Whistler
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Whistler
    Awesome!!!
    pm sent
    Just changed ownership and not as awesome. But sierrasnowboard (now trusnow) is still pretty awesome.

Cheap goggles - Snowboard Ski Goggles - Snowboard Ski Goggles Sales - Men's Snowboard Ski Goggles | Reviews and Sale at trusnow.com
    I bought some 686 pants this year as well and i fuckin love them. For a jacket I just use a fairly lightweight northface jacket and wear a sweatshirt and thermal underneath so i can just take the jacket of when it gets into the higher 30s/40s.
    I rock $30 sale rack pants and a 3 year old sale rack Burton jacket. Just got back last night for 2 days up at a decent hill in Wisconsin, and both performed quite well. I also have a 686 shell that I wear in cool/rainy weather that I like a lot, but haven't boarded in it yet. Probably will be sticking with these two companies when I buy gear in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by flomo View Post
    put on some fucking carharts and ride like a man

best of both worlds imo.
    that jacket looks sweet!

my buddy says kjus is excellent stuff, i've never heard of it.

i'm just getting back in to skiing after a 20 year break from it. going to get some boots tomorrow to ski on sunday.
    ya, it looks like it came out in 2008 or so, and they are pretty much impossible to find now
    Whistler
    Whaddafak?? Why didn't you tell us BC'ers??

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    I am obviously old and bitter. I am too big and dumb and averse to personal injury to learn how to snowboard... however I'd like better for my kids.

At what age and under what circumstances did you guys learn how to do this? Did you have lessons, did you go frequently, etc.
    So you click their picture and then you get their money?
    I went for the first time about 4 years ago, and the second time about a week ago. I skateboarded a lot when I was younger, and still do occasionally now.. that was definitely a big help in picking up snowboarding I think.

If your old crusty self is not able to give them pointers, then lessons might be a good idea. But I've seen pretty young kids on snowboards, just get them a helmet and start them out on the bunny hill.
    Need quick feedback cause i need this shipped to my house by friday

Thoughts? Amazon.com: Oakley Unisex-Adult Crowbar Goggles: Sports & Outdoors

Anything else in that price range that may be better?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Those look pretty sweet. I'm a big fan of the yellow tint.. seems to cut out glare and make terrain easier to read. The dark tints can make it hard to read the terrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    Those look pretty sweet. I'm a big fan of the yellow tint.. seems to cut out glare and make terrain easier to read. The dark tints can make it hard to read the terrain.
    Yeah, I'm def sticking to the lighter tints. I hate dark tints and tend to not use my current pair because i can't see shit
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    I am obviously old and bitter. I am too big and dumb and averse to personal injury to learn how to snowboard... however I'd like better for my kids.

At what age and under what circumstances did you guys learn how to do this? Did you have lessons, did you go frequently, etc.
    I skied from like 6-11 then picked up snowboarding and haven't looked back. I never had lessons but went fairly frequently. Bit of a learning curve for sure, and lessons couldn't hurt.
    Anything else in that price range that may be better?
    are you trying these things on somewhere in the city?

personnally i always worry about fit
    Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    I skied from like 6-11 then picked up snowboarding and haven't looked back. I never had lessons but went fairly frequently. Bit of a learning curve for sure, and lessons couldn't hurt.
    Thanks bra!!
    So you click their picture and then you get their money?
    Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Thanks bra!!
    Teach your kids how to ride and play guitar and dayum they'll be pulling all sorts of tail
    are you trying these things on somewhere in the city?

personnally i always worry about fit
    Tried jacket on. Pants are showing up in mail this week and same as goggles. If they don't fit I can always use my old stuff and return them
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Tried jacket on. Pants are showing up in mail this week and same as goggles. If they don't fit I can always use my old stuff and return them
    i'm sure there is a ski shop a whistler, if it comes to that.
    trip report with pics including hot new gear please?
    trip report with pics including hot new gear please?
    this.
    working on it. I've been a little lazy after boarding all day.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    How much longer on the TR?

and I need new goggles.