Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

small blind raise attempt denied

Default small blind raise attempt denied

I was playing $1/$2 nl at Stones today and the small blind tossed in a $5 chip to raise to $6 after a limper had joined the pot.

The dealer said it wasn't a raise since it wasn't announced. He called over the floor who confirmed that when a large chip goes in unannounced it is just a call.

Everyone knows how this applies when there is just a single chip (the one chip rule). In this case there were 2 chips so the small blind was frustrated.

I guess it is something to think about when online players venture out into brick and mortar games.
    Wow that's crappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The dealer said it wasn't a raise since it wasn't announced. He called over the floor who confirmed that when a large chip goes in unannounced it is just a call.
    super standard, i'd be pretty pissed if the floor had a habit of changing the rules on the regular

i remember playing in gothenburg and some online pro used to limp behind and/or call ep raises from MP-HJ with a biggish chip quite often, inducing folds behind from people who thought he was raising = getting to see quite a few cheap pots with position where he otherwise wouldn't have. Dirty angle shoot etc, but he got away with it.
    How does that work more than once? You'd think that someone to his left would see him get change for the chip when the dealer prepares for the flop, and clarify in future.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    How does that work more than once? You'd think that someone to his left would see him get change for the chip when the dealer prepares for the flop, and clarify in future.
    when i talked to him about it later he said it's simply a standard habit which has no negative consequences and sometimes huge positive benefits (e.g. someone who might have raised behind now doesn't).
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I could see it working more than once at some tables. There are times when people just don't pay attention...
    Nice ploy daven. Trouble is change isn't given until before the flop, so it would stay out there looking like a raise to the unattentive.

I guess we all got caught out the first time we lobbed a big chip in intending to raise and got called by the whole table who did know the one chip rule and a dealer pointing out they hadn't heard the word 'Raise'.