Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Need help with site/game selection

Default Need help with site/game selection

Hello all,

I'm a semi-old member here and haven't played since Black Friday and am looking to start back up again. However, I'm not sure how and where being that I am from the US so I thought I'd reach out and ask for some advice. A little about me and my situation:

1) I used to grind SNG's ( mostly 45 mans up to 25 tables at a time) on Pokerstars ( Ryski525 ) so I'd love to find the same type of format. However, I will play whatever is most profitable.
    2) My schedule only allows me to play in blocks of 3-4 hours so I can only play SnG's or smaller field MTT's. I have no desire to play cash games.
    3) My initial bankroll will be between $100-$300.

My questions:

1) What site, if any, offers the most traffic for SnG grinders? ( there may be none for all I know )
    2) What game type do you think would be most profitable given my background to build a bankroll?
    3) What do you consider the best site for US players to play on and why?

I know, some general questions but I have to start somewhere and I respect and trust this community. I researched Carbon some but I couldn't see how many SnG's were running and they seemed to fill very slow. I'm going to look at Bovada next but I'm hoping your input can cut down some of my research time. Thanks in advance.

Mods: Feel free to move to Beginners Circle if you feel it is more appropriate. I wasn't sure where to start this thread.
    Last edited by Ryski; 06-02-2014 at 03:44 PM.
    Well, you said two of the four biggest pokersites left for US players real money play, Bovada and Carbon(Merge Network).
    There are only two other reliable networks left, One is Juicy Stakes(Intertops, Cake, I think they are the Revolution Network). Juicy Stakes is where Revolution Network corralled the US players($100 charge to do a withdraw unless you earn 100 player points the month of the withdraw, then the withdraw is 50 dollars.

The only other reliable poker site I know is the Bookmaker, AmericasCardroom, BlackChip, True Poker
    group(I think they are called the Winning Poker Network). Neither of these two networks provide more
    than what poker you have already found, but that is my opinion.

The only improvement since Black Friday is the trickling in of mobile poker(poker on tablets and cellphones),
    and Rush type poker(ring game that takes you to next table when you fold a hand) available on several poker sites.
    Last edited by eberetta1; 06-02-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    It takes 2 years to learn to talk, but a lifetime to learn when to shut up.
    Thanks for the response. It seems like I'm looking in the right direction as far as sites but it feels like table scraps compared to the days of Pokerstars. Anyway, does anyone else have specifics on the most profitable games and where since Black Friday for US players?
    As a multi table grinder you will want to check out carbon. At bovada there are a lot of features in place that you will probably not like (anonymous tables, no rakeback, and I think there is a four table max but you might want to double check on that. Carbon has a fair amount of sng traffic and has recently had some good sng promotions although I dont see any for this month.
    I have not checked out Bovada but last night Carbon had no SnG's registering at 10:32 PM pacific time ( was looking at double or nothing all buyins, turbo 6 handed all buyins, turbo full ring all buyins ). I guess this makes sense considering the entire east coast is probably in bed and I have no idea on international traffic. Same thing this morning, very little traffic between 6am-8am pacific time with 2-3 Sng games per format registering per hour. I don't mind mixing buyin levels but I find it hard to mix game type. Are SnG's dead for US players?

I emailed Bovada and they confirmed that you can have up to 20 tables open, but they cap it at 4 for cash/sng. So you can play 4 sng, 0 cash, or 2 sng's, 2 cash, etc.

The earliest I can get to the tables is 7pm-8pm pst due to work and it seems like it is going to be a huge issue due to being on the west coast. Ugh. Still looking for suggestions while I continue to research. Thanks for the responses so far.
    THE ONLY REAL online poker site for us players carbon, cake network not working well for s &g not really enough players. bodog . shambles so stick to carbon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryski View Post
    Thanks for the response. It seems like I'm looking in the right direction as far as sites but it feels like table scraps compared to the days of Pokerstars. Anyway, does anyone else have specifics on the most profitable games and where since Black Friday for US players?
    Nothing but table scraps for us players. Light at the end of the tunnel as New Jersey and Delaware start their version of online poker. Maybe when 12+ states have legal U.S. poker then the glory days can return, I do not see it happening for another 3 years. In the meantime, U.S players have been catching up on their videogaming instead.
    It takes 2 years to learn to talk, but a lifetime to learn when to shut up.
    Quote Originally Posted by eberetta1 View Post
    Nothing but table scraps for us players. Light at the end of the tunnel as New Jersey and Delaware start their version of online poker. Maybe when 12+ states have legal U.S. poker then the glory days can return, I do not see it happening for another 3 years. In the meantime, U.S players have been catching up on their videogaming instead.
    Yep, burnt out on video games though. Starting to look at cash games because those actually run.....even though I said I wouldn't. A friend told me to play < $11 MTT's to build a roll but I'm only starting from a couple hundred so that doesn't sound like a good idea does it? Was thinking of DoN's or cash at this point. Any suggestions from anyone? Getting desperate here =(
    Bovada's sngs are supposed to be pretty soft.

Last edited by Keith; 06-09-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Bovada's sngs are supposed to be pretty soft.

Yeah all of Bovadas games are really soft. There double up and triple ups are really easy money but the four table cap can be a down fall. Some of you mentioned that US online poker is dead right now but I would argue against that. Bovada is getting a ton of traffic and Carbon/BCP are doing pretty well too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Credsfan03 View Post
    Yeah all of Bovadas games are really soft. There double up and triple ups are really easy money but the four table cap can be a down fall. Some of you mentioned that US online poker is dead right now but I would argue against that. Bovada is getting a ton of traffic and Carbon/BCP are doing pretty well too.
    When exactly are these games running? Everytime I check they just don't fill up. If I could even get 4 tables going that would be awesome, let alone one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryski View Post
    When exactly are these games running? Everytime I check they just don't fill up. If I could even get one table going that would be awesome, let alone 4.
    FYP