Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Hello everyone

Default Hello everyone

Hello all! First time poster here so first off I should say that I'm very new to the game. I dabbled a bit online a few years ago and really didn't get anywhere but at the begginning of this year I made a goal of learning the strategy of NL Holdem. I've been playing .01/.02 since the begginning of the year and have been getting better. Recently I started feeling pretty comfortable at .01/.02 so I tried .02/.05 for the first time last night. Well the phsycological difference seems to have stymied me as I didn't play at my best. Gotta love a challenge.

Anyway this hand is driving me nuts and I need some help with what I should have done. I really had no read on villain so I didn't know his range. The thing that keeps bugging me is, should I have 3 bet here? Did I shut down too soon?

*********** # 25 **************
    PokerStars Hand #112366840956: Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05 USD) - 2014/02/24 20:24:33 PT [2014/02/24 23:24:33 ET]
    Table 'Furud' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
    Seat 1: Master Kiki ($7.33 in chips)
    Seat 2: monchesco ($5.20 in chips)
    Seat 3: Sneaky Feet ($2.68 in chips)
    Seat 4: Partykiller1 ($4.37 in chips)
    Seat 5: J0RDZ ($3.88 in chips)
    Seat 6: Aspablo1982 ($5 in chips)
    Seat 7: osorare ($4.41 in chips)
    Seat 8: Knevitz C. ($1.65 in chips)
    osorare: posts small blind $0.02
    Knevitz C.: posts big blind $0.05
    gede48: sits out
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Sneaky Feet [Ad Kc]
    Master Kiki: folds
    monchesco: folds
    Sneaky Feet: raises $0.10 to $0.15
    Partykiller1: calls $0.15
    J0RDZ: folds
    Aspablo1982: folds
    osorare: folds
    Knevitz C.: folds
    *** FLOP *** [Qc 3h Qs]
    Sneaky Feet: checks
    Partykiller1: bets $0.15
    Sneaky Feet: folds
    Uncalled bet ($0.15) returned to Partykiller1
    Partykiller1 collected $0.35 from pot
    Partykiller1: doesn't show hand
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot $0.37 | Rake $0.02
    Board [Qc 3h Qs]
    Seat 1: Master Kiki folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 2: monchesco folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: Sneaky Feet folded on the Flop
    Seat 4: Partykiller1 collected ($0.35)
    Seat 5: J0RDZ folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: Aspablo1982 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: osorare (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 8: Knevitz C. (big blind) folded before Flop with A, K
    2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, MP2 calls $0.15, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.37) Q, 3, Q (2 players)
    Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.15, Hero folds

Total pot: $0.37 | Rake: $0.02

Results below:
    Spoiler:

MP2 didn't show

converted the hand for you.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (8 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com/

UTG ($7.33)
    UTG+1 ($5.20)
    Hero (MP1) ($2.68)
    MP2 ($4.37)
    CO ($3.88)
    Button ($5)
    SB ($4.41)
    BB ($1.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A, K
    2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, MP2 calls $0.15, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.37) Q, 3, Q (2 players)
    Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.15, Hero folds

Total pot: $0.37 | Rake: $0.02

Results below:
    Spoiler:

MP2 didn't show
    Last edited by Keith; 02-26-2014 at 03:54 AM.
    Hi, welcome to FTR!

Please, for your own good, start here...

bankroll management -
    http://www.flopturnriver.com/poker-s...ment-101-19038
    http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...ou-167253.html

After you've read through those two very important articles, get reading the rest of this list as and when you find time...

BC digest -
    http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...re-196912.html

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you stepped up to 5nl too soon. Play 2nl until you are sufficiently rolled to play 5nl, the reason for this is so you don't go broke when variance bites you in the ass. It's got very little to do with skill level, even the best players go through shitty periods where it all seems to go wrong. That's the nature of card games.

As for the hand you post...

First of all, do you have any reads, notes or stats on villain? Knwoing how he plays in certain spots can help you better understand how he might approach this spot.

Assuming he's totally unknown, you played the hand ok imo. I mean it's a bit weak, but folding is not awful because he can have lots of pocket pairs and stuff like that. Pre flop is obviously fine. Flop is awkward simply because we're out of position. If you bet, you're as good as telling him you haven't got a queen, because why would you bet a queen here knowing he probably hasn't hit the flop? So checking looks fine. When he bets less than half pot, I think we should call, he's betting a lot of hands here, many of which we're beating. 3betting is risky because you don't know if this guy is gonna fold stuff like 88 or whatever. This is where you want reads. It helps a great deal if you know if this guy is gonna b/f his low pockets.

I would call the flop, but I wouldn't lose any sleep about folding. At higher stakes this would be a very exploitable fold, and something to be concerned about. But not at 5nl because very few people are paying attention to how often you raise in early position and then c/f paired flops.

I strongly recommend you take a lok at the bankroll management articles though to ensure you're not taking needless risks. Just focus on getting better, don't worry about trying to work your way up through the stakes just yet because most people who try to fast track go broke.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Welcome, Sneaky Feet!
    what is your buyin when you join a table, do you have auto topup set in the client?
    OngBonga- Thanks for the links I'll start reading them today. And as for having a read I really didn't as I had just sat down. I may have seen villain play 10 hands or less.

Eric- Thanks!

Keith- I don't have auto top up and sat down with 5.00. I think next time I'll sit with 7.00 so I'm a little deeper

On a side note "beginning" not "begginning" gawd! That was driving me nuts lol. Damn auto correct.
    ok hello everyone, this is my introduction post, and yes I sign up for the exclusive events and private freeroll. I hope to post daily but will probably post 3 times a week because of my work schedule. Been playing poker 4 years so I play pretty decent, but anyways I'm hoping to be a qualify FTR member within the next 6 month and be a part of the community.
    Welcome, zeroguy.

I see you're location is California - it looks like we'll be having regulated online poker here soon.

Cheers,
    Eric