Poker ForumBeginners Circle

SnG 3-handed question

Default SnG 3-handed question

SB (t2,430)
    BB (t5,000)
    Hero (Button) (t6,070)

Hero's M: 16.86

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4, 4
    Hero raises to t480, SB raises to t2,430 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls t1,950

Flop: (t5,100) 2, J, 4 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t5,100) 8 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t5,100) 6 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t5,100

Results below:
    Spoiler:

Hero had 4, 4 (three of a kind, fours).
    SB had 5, 5 (one pair, fives).
    Outcome: Hero won t5,100

My logic was I am risking 1/3 of my stack with a small pkt pair & I put SB in the range of Kx or Ax for shove on any raise (Reads from other hands). Was I too loose with the all-in?
    I just realized I posted in the wrong forum. Can a moderator please move this to the appropriate forum? Sorry for the mistake, I normally ask the questions in the beginner section, but didn't realize this was strictly a cash game beginner section.
    If you put him on Ax or Kx I can't see how that can be to loose. You are chipleader, and have the chance to knock one out and go HU. I would have done the same in that spot
    The Time To Act Is Now...
    He's got a lot of pairs in his range and for that reason I think I fold this, I think we need around 40% and it's close. I'd likely err on the side of caution here and muck it.

Also, avoid posting results in spoilers. I looked after but anyone who looks before commenting will likely be influenced by the results, which means you get substandard replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Thank you both for the replies. I asked the question cause I realized after the hand how many pairs he could hold in addition to the Ax/Kx hands he would push with. Even though it worked out for me in the end.

@ Ong - What do you mean avoid posting results in spoilers? Should I just eliminate the results entirely? I am pretty new to posting hands on forums, so any information is new information. =)
    @ Ong - What do you mean avoid posting results in spoilers? Should I just eliminate the results entirely? I am pretty new to posting hands on forums, so any information is new information. =)
    Yeah the results do not matter and only serve to skew people's opinions. You should leave the results out altogether, maybe talk about what villain had after you've had some discussion about the hand but it's not important.

Even though it worked out for me in the end.
    Well this is not the correct way to look at it. Yes you got lucky here, but are you going to make a long term profit playing this hand to a shove of this size? Don't worry about individual results, worry about how much you win or lose if you play the same situation 100 times.

What matters is - do you have the required equity vs villain's range to make the call? We got 2k to call into a 5k pot, so we need to be winning 40% of the time just to break even.

equity win tie pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 37.675% 36.69% 00.98% 70993802 1904059.00 { 4d4s }
    Hand 1: 62.325% 61.34% 00.98% 118688432 1904059.00 { 22+, AJs+, KQs, AQo+ }

Against 22+ AJs+ KQs AQo+ we have 37.675%, not quite enough. We need him to have a few more broadway combos. I was right that it's close, and I'm probably right that it's the wrong side of close, but it really depends on what we think this guy can shove with.

Do you have a HUD running? Villain's stats would help. Any notes? Have you seen this guy shove short with, say, JTo or similar? You say you put him on Ax Kx, why not JJ? He has lots more than just Ax and Kx, it's not wise to put him on Ax Kx and neglect all the pairs he can have that have us crushed. The 55-AA in his range makes a big difference to the equity we can expect to have. If he only ever has Ax Kx, then it's an easy call, but the fact is he doesn't only ever have these hands. You need to be realistic with the range you give him, and then you can get a more accurate idea of how much equity you have. That's why it helps to have a HUD running. If he's running at 23/20 then he's very probably shoving wider than someone running at 9/9. Against a 23/20 I probably make the call because he's gonna have 22 33 A2s A3s A4s at least sometimes, giving us a few more percent vs his range, and probably enough to take us past 40%. But a 9/9 is not gonna be shoving anything we dominate, so we're always either flipping or crushed, so it would be a fold, we'd probably be as low as 35%, maybe lower. That's why villain tendancies are so important. It can be the difference between calling and folding.
    Last edited by OngBonga; 12-16-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    ongies gonna ong
    The quote about it worked out in the end was sorta saying i got lucky this time, which is why I m wondering about my play in this situation. Unfortunately, I don't have HUD running, is there an app for this for SnG?

Regarding your question about why I put him on such a hand: The table played for a bit 4-handed and he shoved PF with ranges as low as K7o prior to this hand, so I estimated his range was much wider than premium only hands. With his chip stack so low, I estimated he would shove with any sort of ace in his hand.
    The table played for a bit 4-handed and he shoved PF with ranges as low as K7o prior to this hand
    In which case the call was fine, I'd estimate we have around 43%, although I haven't crunched any numbers, I'm guessing.

Unfortunately, I don't have HUD running, is there an app for this for SnG?
    I don't know, I don't play on a phone, never have. Someone else will have to answer this. If you don't have a HUD, take notes as often as possible, and when you post hands, the more info on villain you give, the better the replies you'll get.
    ongies gonna ong
    I think it was not bad, he was going to push many hands, as you say, but there are better ways to win 3 handed sng
    Quote Originally Posted by matiusaa View Post
    I think it was not bad, he was going to push many hands, as you say, but there are better ways to win 3 handed sng
    I assume you mean stacking your odds greater in your favor, so you won't have these types of situations? Please elaborate on better ways. =)
    like this post....