Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

AQo $22 ME stars

Default AQo $22 ME stars

Villain just sat at table, what would you do? Flat or 3bet pre? And on the flop?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 22 Tournament, 125/250 Blinds 30 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

CO (t16,497)
    Button (t9,600)
    SB (t13,535)
    BB (t11,628)
    UTG (t12,707)
    UTG+1 (t12,194)
    MP1 (t26,187)
    MP2 (t4,566)
    Hero (MP3) (t13,548)

Hero's M: 21.00

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, Q
    UTG raises to t500, 1 fold, MP1 calls t500, 1 fold, Hero calls t500, 3 folds, BB calls t250

Flop: (t2,395) 5, A, 8 (4 players)
    BB checks, UTG bets t2,500, [color=#666666]1 fold Hero?
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    Easy call pre and when he lol-pots the flop its pretty safe to say he's a donk and I'm calling down with this hand all the way. I think donks like him tend to raise 3 or 4x utg with AK and these minraises are usually a crappy hand or a supermonster like AA/KK.
    I am happy to see the flop at this stage but I would need to think about what to do in response to the turn bet. Is he protecting A's against a flush draw or is he trying to force a fold. Big decision which probably decides your future in the game. I am not calling this bet so it is down to fold or push. It is 50/50 as far as I am concerned. Given it is a reasonably low buy in game I think I would risk the push and take my chances. Be interested to know how it worked out.
    Scottish Cowboy
    I agree with renton, except that maybe there's a reason villain pots flop, such as the other guy in the hand. If villain has notes on BB saying something like "fish will chase flush two streets at pot size" then his bet is bang on.

I'm calling flop but treading carefully. Another psb might have me reconsider calling him down to showdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    You could actually fold and not tell anyone preflop here.

Standard play is to call pre so you don't "turn your hand into a bluff."

You have to call that flop bet with the thought of calling the hand down. I disagree with Renton as to betsizing. I think this is just a standard preflop raise. I would presume AK is in the range (and think you will be facing it quite a bit if he keeps firing).
    http://chardrian.blogspot.com
    come check out my training videos at pokerpwnage.com
    Thanks everyone
    Shove on the flop everything else is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by goomlah View Post
    Shove on the flop everything else is fine.
    Who are you and why do you post as if you know what you're doing when you don't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by donkbee View Post
    Who are you and why do you post as if you know what you're doing when you don't?
    You please explain how you don't shove as played?
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    I don't hate a shove, but calling down seems better.
    I'm torn between chard and renton's call flop advice, or the random guy who says shove. password please?

I don't like a shove. If he has a worse ace, we're getting it in either on turn or river anyway. By shoving we get him to fold his AK and all the other crap he might keep firing, narrowing his range to flush draws and better hands. If he's potting flop with a flush draw he's not giving up turn when called, so his flush draws either go broke or double up regardless of whether we shove or call flop. There doesn't seem to be any more value in shoving than there is in calling, only by calling we keep what few bluffs he has.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    I personally like a 3bet pre , we are in position and can presumably limit the pot to HU or take down a nice size pot with a squeeze . I would make it 1755 and fold to a 4bet from UTG . Being in position here I don't mind bloating the pot a little in exchange for defining villains range a little and maybe taking it down pre . People open full ranges UTG now days .