Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Is this - or + Life EV?

Default Is this - or + Life EV?

What is a good deal? Isn't it just a matter of perspective?

Backstory
    So an old customer of mine at the dealership referred a friend to come buy a car from me. The referree is a 45 yr old man who's wife passed a few months back. He told me he wanted to trade in his work truck and buy a newer model used Grand Caravan. The only things he specified was she wanted leather, the dual dvd system, and wanted to trade even.

My Payplan
    Any used vehicle that has been on the lot for 90 days of longer I either get a $300 mini (guaranteed commission) or 50% of total gross. Whichever is greater.

The Story
    That being said we had a white 2008 Grand Caravan that we bought at an auction that belonged to a Chrysler Representative which was the exact vehicle he was looking for. After working the numbers we gave him $25,000 for his truck and sold ours for $23,800 ($25,000 out the door after tax, tags, title, doc fee). His truck actually appraised for $36,000 ("boxing" it 11K) and we had $21,500 in our van.
    Leaving a grand total of $13,300 in gross profit.

It feels great to have just made 6k+ in one day and he got the exact car and the exact deal he asked for. Part of me feels bad but the bigger part of me is saying he got 100% what he asked for in a deal.

Thoughts?
    That's business...
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    You gave him an offer and he accepted, don't sweat it.
    Eddieeee Royaaal! Eddieee Royaaal!
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    U made a great deal. Both parties happy.
    Yeah this is definitely +Life EV.
    You play poker and you feel a little guilty about taking someone's money when they actually willingly give it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos
    You play poker and you feel a little guilty about taking someone's money when they actually willingly give it to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by squeaky_midget1
    we gave him $25,000 for his truck
    His truck actually appraised for $36,000

This is what kinda bugged me, the poor guy just didnt know any better
    and was actually ecstatic we could do the even trade...he thought he was making a ridiculous offer

Really just wanted reassurance I'm not the inhumane piece of shit some of my hippie treehuggin friends are trying to make me out to be.
    It's not like I killed a puppy...im just tryin to pay bills right?
    Call me a bigot but I'd never buy a used car from a midget.
    My brother's wife sells cars and she made a deal to sell a nice truck to some old couple where in the end with the balloon payments and ripoff "extras " it would cost them over 100k. She felt insanely bad too because she's a good person but all she was doing was her job. She offered them stuff and they said yes everytime or made the most expensive choice every time. It's not like she pushed the stuff on them. They were just insanely stupid. It's now the highest grossing auto sale at her dealership by a long shot.

And it wouldn't have happened if these folks just took the time to do their own research. Same thing with your guy.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    no reason to feel bad

fuck minis, get gross
    What would you expect to be done to you, how would you like to be treated in the same circumstance? If you'd be happy with the same treatment then a great call. That's the benchmark I'd use.

Also for the record I've worked in vehicle leasing before (where you sell the finance for vehicles) before and that was commission based. I had no qualms getting 6k commission into one vehicle sale just on the finance if I thought the person could afford it. My character wasn't really cut out for sales though, because when I'd get a single mum for instance just trying to buy a cheap car to help her get about - I'd usually rock the commission down to the floor so we were hardly making anything. A floored sales personality, but I think it was compensated for when I was dealing with someone with money I would just ramp it right up and had the skill/charm whatever you want to call it to get away with it.

I think you just do what you think is right! That's all you can ever ask for =)
    dis is why I could never succeed in business, I have no heart to do this
    the "buy it low, sell it high", while totally standard, goes entirely and completely against my "life is nicer if it is fair for everyone" philosophy

on the other hand, at the felt, everyone knows you are out to do this, and they will attempt to do this to you themselves, and therefore, its all fair and my heart is at peace.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla
    Eddieeee Royaaal! Eddieee Royaaal!
    POTY?

Quote Originally Posted by Galapagos
    It's now the highest grossing auto sale at her dealership by a long shot.
    Just joined the club. Highest front end gross at Triad Dodge (Winston-Salem's exclusive Dodge dealership, now offering 0% financing for 72 months on all Ram 1500 Quad Cabs and home of the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty) in 33 years of business. Livin imo
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySlevin
    What would you expect to be done to you, how would you like to be treated in the same circumstance? If you'd be happy with the same treatment then a great call. That's the benchmark I'd use.

Also for the record I've worked in vehicle leasing before (where you sell the finance for vehicles) before and that was commission based. I had no qualms getting 6k commission into one vehicle sale just on the finance if I thought the person could afford it. My character wasn't really cut out for sales though, because when I'd get a single mum for instance just trying to buy a cheap car to help her get about - I'd usually rock the commission down to the floor so we were hardly making anything. A floored sales personality, but I think it was compensated for when I was dealing with someone with money I would just ramp it right up and had the skill/charm whatever you want to call it to get away with it.

I think you just do what you think is right! That's all you can ever ask for =)
    commy!!!