Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

AJs button 21BB stack

Default AJs button 21BB stack

I am not sure what the right play would be here as I think all options except folding pre has its pros and cons.

Opener was pretty loose so I could have 3bet him IP like 2700 ish and would have fold vs BB or opener if one of them would 4bet me.

I could have shoved it in pre myself.

Flat and call the BB shove.

Or just as played. (felt weak)

No Limit Holdem Tournament
    iPoker
    7 Players
    Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
    UTG Player1 (25,565) 43bb
    UTG+1 Player2 (13,722) 23bb
    MP Player4 (8,615) 14bb
    CO Player5 (7,477) 12bb
    BTN Hero (12,616) 21bb
    SB Player9 (9,786) 16bb
    BB Player10 (14,165) 24bb

Blinds: 300/600 Ante 100

Pre-Flop: (1,600, 7 players) Hero is BTN A J
    1 fold, Player2 raises to 1,200, 2 folds, Hero calls 1,200, 1 fold, Player10 goes all-in 14,065, Player2 folds, Hero folds

Final Pot: 4,600

Player10 wins 30,330 (net +16,165)

Player2 lost 1,300
    Hero lost 1,300
    I think that calling is the best option here because:
    1- you have position on player2
    2-If you 3bet to lets say 5bb and you face a push, which is more probable given the stacks, you have to fold, and loose 5bb.
    reads matter a lot here.
    Against a lot of players this is a preflop fold since we dont have the stack depth to do much postflop and UTG+1 with just 23 bbs should be opening very tight.
    Since opener was loose, I don't mind how you played it at all.
    http://chardrian.blogspot.com
    come check out my training videos at pokerpwnage.com
    Yes, reads!
    Without any info it's OK as played. After the fold your stack is still competitive.
    Questionable if BB would have pushed if you had 3-bet the opener. He might have been squeezing light, but again without reads, there is not much to discuss.
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    I think flatting should make a decent bit of coin against the MP opener's range, and you need 42% to call the squeeze as played. It's pretty hard for you to have that unless he's shoving things like KQo or 66. I think it's relevant that he's in the big blind, and thus has dominant flatting options with a lot of hands he'd need to be shoving in order for this to be a call, such as 44 A7s KJ etc. If he's in the small blind it's probably a bit closer.
    Thanks 4 the reactions !
    I don't like the idea of shoving here with AJ because your stack is still deep.
    With AJs I might flat, AJo I just throw the hand away because the hand is hard to play post flop if it doesn't hit, and if another player squeez I would have to make another tough decision again.
    4-betting to represent Aces is a better idea, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducbim View Post
    I don't like the idea of shoving here with AJ because your stack is still deep.
    With AJs I might flat, AJo I just throw the hand away because the hand is hard to play post flop if it doesn't hit, and if another player squeez I would have to make another tough decision again.
    4-betting to represent Aces is a better idea, I guess.
    If you are going to hyperpost , at least read the op and thread before hitting the post button.
    Since you recommend 4betting to represent aces , could you explain how you are going to raise the 3better when he already shoved more chips than you have, in which case why would you want to be trying to represent aces since you are calling off all your chips and not going to get anyone to fold.
    The large antes (1/3rd the small blind) are a factor. We have 21 big blinds but our M ratio is only 8 (12,616/(300 + 600 + 700)).

Instead of just calling UTG+1, I might go ahead and 3 bet shove.
    This is going to be a thin cev call. The pool will not have AA in their all in range some % of the time due to it being 3bet small.

How deep are you in this tournament is probably the most important question that hasn't be asked yet
    In these situations, you should check the PFR of this 2 players. Micro2Macro pointed out verry well, depends how deep are u in this tournament.
    Quote Originally Posted by kape View Post
    fold is correct. All-in player had JJ+ or AQ+
    deleted as this is now a 4 month old thread and OP has not responded to previous questions and this post adds nothing to the discussion.