Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Hey Cheesehead Management...

Default Hey Cheesehead Management...

Never bet on a white man in the heavyweight division!
    Shame on Brett Favre for putting the Packers in such a tough spot. There's nothing wrong with retiring. But don't retire, almost unretire, see your old team draft 2 QB's to go along with the 1st round pick of 3 years ago, then unretire and make a huge circus.

Shame on the Packers for how they're handling this now. Saying unequivocally that Favre won't even be able to *compete* for a starting job, and in no uncertain terms that their franchise's most important player of all time won't even be welcome back in the locker room (I don't give a **** what Mike McCarthy said). Then trying to bribe him to stay retired so they don't have to release him and see him play a year or two in Purple. IF HE'S THAT GOOD THAT YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT, LET HIM AT LEAST *COMPETE* FOR A STARTING JOB. Otherwise, suck it up, give the man his papers, and cut all ties with him if need be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukie
    IF HE'S THAT GOOD THAT YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT, LET HIM AT LEAST *COMPETE* FOR A STARTING JOB.
    Exactly!
    lol, very funny picture.

This whole fiasco has to end soon. The most logical choice to save face is bring him into camp, let him compete in an open competition, and then trade one of them to a team that has a need due to injury, bad play etc... It will be interesting to see what happens at the intrasquad scrimmage (to the non Packer fans, the Packers' first scrimmage in preseason, against themselves, sells out the stadium; thats around 80,000 to see basically a glorified practice.)
    "Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then you are a mile away, and have his shoes." - Anon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukie
    Shame on Brett Favre for putting the Packers in such a tough spot. There's nothing wrong with retiring. But don't retire, almost unretire, see your old team draft 2 QB's to go along with the 1st round pick of 3 years ago, then unretire and make a huge circus.

Shame on the Packers for how they're handling this now. Saying unequivocally that Favre won't even be able to *compete* for a starting job, and in no uncertain terms that their franchise's most important player of all time won't even be welcome back in the locker room (I don't give a **** what Mike McCarthy said). Then trying to bribe him to stay retired so they don't have to release him and see him play a year or two in Purple. IF HE'S THAT GOOD THAT YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THAT, LET HIM AT LEAST *COMPETE* FOR A STARTING JOB. Otherwise, suck it up, give the man his papers, and cut all ties with him if need be.
    this

The most logical choice to save face is bring him into camp, let him compete in an open competition, and then trade one of them to a team that has a need due to injury, bad play etc...
    this is not logical at all. If they think AR is so great that he justifies throwing Brett under the bus, there is no way they will get that value in a trade, given Brett wins the job. If Farve doesn't win the job you can't then trade AR away.

If they trade Farve after week X (whether or not he's the starter) they should just trade him now and get down to playing football rather than hosting the circus for 3 months.

For two years or so before he retired the Bengals benched Kenny Anderson for Boomer E and after EVERY bad play during home games you'd hear "Kenny KENNy KENNY!". Even though he went on to have some success it really got to Boomer and I'm sure it was even more awkward in the locker room with guys choosing up sides and what not. And that was Kenny Anderson, who probably no one outside O-H-I-O even remembers and who never won much of anything, not a top 5 all time QB.
    I think either way he will be starting week 1 at lambeau. It's the color uniform that still needs to be decided. Can you all imagine Favre playing at lambeau field week 1 on monday night? Fans would be going apeshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by drmcboy
    this is not logical at all. If they think AR is so great that he justifies throwing Brett under the bus, there is no way they will get that value in a trade, given Brett wins the job. If Farve doesn't win the job you can't then trade AR away.

If they trade Farve after week X (whether or not he's the starter) they should just trade him now and get down to playing football rather than hosting the circus for 3 months.
    You are assuming if AR was not able to beat out Favre that he would be worthless. For argument if Favre is still a top 10 QB in the league and AR is 11, all things being equal you would have Favre start, but 21 other teams would want AR as their starter as being better than what they have, so he would still have value. This could be true for Favre if AR wins the job.

Favre just announced he was flying to Green Bay today, the circus is already in town. You might as well open it up to see who wins the job. If there was a willing trade partner, he would already be gone. Someone needs a significant injury to their QB otherwise (e.g., Jeff Garcia went down today with a calf pull).

It would be a PR nightmare if Favre played for the Vikes or Bears.
    "Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then you are a mile away, and have his shoes." - Anon.
    It would be sad to see Favre play for anyone else except GreenBay.
    3 3 3 I'm only half evil.
    LTrain, GB has already said numerous times that there will not be a competition for the starting QB. AR is their starting QB for this season as "they have moved on." Favre is showing up at camp to force GB's hand. He thinks this is the only way he will get released because they do not want distractions in camp.

Favre will not be traded to any other team either because Favre get to decide where he wants to go per his contract. With MN knowing this I would be surprised if they gave GB anything and just wait until he is released.

Flight lands at 6:45 CST, let the fun begin, lol.
    i dont see how not letting him compete is bad; hes old. they can simply believe it to be more prudent to get a guy who's not gonna retire again soon, plus put them through this kind of fiasco
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    can we just change his name to farve? that tilts the shit out of me
    Pythonic, I don't disagree, the Packers have made it clear Brett would not be the starter if he stays in GB, but I am just trying to think of how maybe this could be made into a win-win, although the media circus would be potentially damaging. Apparently the Jets were serious about trading for him, but Brett said no. If he wants to play so badly, why not the Jets? I still don't think he is 100% committed to playing and he appears to be dead set on the Vikings if anywhere. The 20 Mil. offer is interesting. I think it would amount to keeping him on ice, and if AR was hurt they would activate Favre, like Testeverde has done the last few years. He would still would have the possibility of playing, but not have to go through the rigors of everday football.
    LT, Favre wants to play for a team who has a chance to go to the superbowl. Why on earth would he go to the Jets? LOL. Especially when they are in the same division as the Pats. I only see him either playing in GB, MN or he will re-retire.
    Everyone wants to play for a team that has a chance to go the superbowl! He wants to play, he wants to start, and he wants to have a chance at a superbowl. He could have had all those things if he simply said months ago, either the first or second time, that he was coming back. He can't expect that he can announce his retirement, waffle for months only to change his mind this late in the game, and then just get everything he wants. I loved watching him all the years, but enough already. If he wants to play, go play for the Jets, otherwise, have a coke and a smile and stfu!
    GB didn't give the guy enough time to decide. They kept pressuring him and pressuring him. Favre was forced to give them an answer when he was not fully decided and that is what stemmed up this whole problem.

He aint gonna play for the Jets, he wants to play for the vikes and put a serious beat down on the packers.
    TOM BRADY
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred
    MICHAEL VICK
    fyp
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy
    i dont see how not letting him compete is bad; hes old. they can simply believe it to be more prudent to get a guy who's not gonna retire again soon, plus put them through this kind of fiasco
    Usually, when a player no longer fits into a team's plans, they are released. The Pack is trying to have it both ways.. i.e. that they don't want Favre to play for them, but they also don't want him to play for *anyone*. This is somewhat unprecedented in that regard. It's understandable I guess given that it suits their team's best interests, but there comes a time when you should just do the right thing and follow protocol.
    I think they should just make him back up QB, let him practice play a few downs and give some guidance to Rogers.

This whole think has really tarnished my view on Farve. I mean like Stevie Y, if he retired and came back for the Avalanche that would blot all all the amazing things he did previous to that.

Some players embody a team, Farve did that to see him end his career with another team would be bad for all the people who cheered for him regardless of what team they rooted for.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhappy333
    I didn't think its Bold to bang some chick with my bro. but i guess so... thats +EV in my book.
    20 million to sit home, wtf?
    3 3 3 I'm only half evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhappy333
    20 million to sit home, wtf?
    he'll look like a huge sellout if he accepts this
    LOL OPERATIONS
    The 20 Mil. deal was on the table back in March and will just sit on the table with the reinstatement. This type of deal apparently is not out of the ordinary for highly marketable players when they retire, they just used it a little differently in the last negotiations and the media has spun it into something entirely different. For example, when Brett retires, he retains the rights to his image and name unless this deal is in place. My understanding is the Packers would not be able to show any image of him without it, and in that light the offer makes more sense.

It looks like he is back in GB and meeting with the team today; practicing tomorrow. I agree with Coach McCarthy, before he completely opens competition with AR, he wants to meet Brett face to face and make sure he is serious about playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton
    can we just change his name to farve? that tilts the shit out of me
    funniest comment in this entire thread imo.

Also, don't forget that Goodell was involved with the negotiations betwenn Fav re and GB. Since he waited until today to reinstate him I think that means that a deal was brokered that makes everyone happy.
    Poker is easy, it's winning at poker that's hard.