Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Poker Superstition

Default Poker Superstition

I am asking out of curiosity only. I am not saying I believe or disbelieve, but I am curious. Has anyone ever heard of a poker superstition that says it's bad luck to be the first person entered in a poker tournament?
    Never heard of that specifically, but "luck" is a word to describe how randomness manifests in the short term.

Whether or not this is a thing depends solely on whether or not the event organizers have it rigged to be such. Or if they have poorly coded software that inadvertently causes such.

If this is a thing, it would be site-specific. If you don't trust your site, cash out and find another.

I think its best to leave the accusations of rigging out of it. Humans are notoriously terrible at understanding randomness with our intuition. Let the people who do the actual data collection show a statistically significant deviation from an expected outcome before you take any claim of rigging seriously.
    No, I was not asking about it because of rigging. I was reading about how Johnny Chan always brings an orange to tournaments, and Doyle Brunson has something called Casper and about other poker superstitions which some were kinda gross like wearing dirty clothes to a tournament, I mean really how gross lol. Anyway I could not remember, but years ago I thought I had heard one about being the first one entered in a tournament and it supposedly being bad luck and was wondering if anyone else had heard of it. For all I know the person who had mentioned it to me could have made it up himself lol.
    Last edited by FlushhDraw; 07-11-2015 at 02:25 PM.
    Oh. In that context...

Whatever gives you a bit of confidence w/o clouding your ability to make good decisions is cool with me.

I prefer explanations of cause and effect with a few more of the intermediate steps filled in. However, I can't prove that their superstition doesn't benefit them. Self-confidence is a tricky thing with practical ramifications which benefit mental performance.
    I don't care if it enhances performance or not I am never wearing dirty clothes to a tournament lmao
    There should be a rule: If you have visible cartoon smell lines coming off of you, then that's inappropriate attire for the event. It counts both ways. If your aftershave/cologne/etc. is causing people to bleed from the nostrils, that's a problem, too.

To be fair, Mr. Chan bringing an orange to a tournament could have a measurable benefit... assuming he eats it. While nutrition is a wacky field of ever-changing dietary recommendations, it seems that eating fresh fruit every few hours or so is standing the test of time.

The fact that better physical health often correlates to better mental performance is easy to take for granted.
    Never heard of that one but in general superstitions will not benefit you in poker or in life. Don't buy into them. People who believe in them are connecting two things that have no relationship with each other, and claiming they impact each other or something else in some way. It's hocus pocus nonsense.