Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Sort Your $*%&in' Life Out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Villain is 31/29 (45 hands) and positionally unaware, 3bet 28.6% (14 hands) and cbets 85% (7 hands)

$0.02/$0.05 No Limit Holdem
    PokerStars
    6 Players
    Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
    UTG Player4 ($18.14) 363bb
    UTG+1 Player5 ($15.32) 306bb
    CO Player6 ($5) 100bb
    BTN ImSavy ($5) 100bb
    SB Player2 ($4.95) 99bb
    BB Player3 ($6.98) 140bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.07, 6 players) ImSavy is BTN
    3 folds, ImSavy raises to $0.12, 1 fold, Player3 raises to $0.45, ImSavy calls $0.33

Flop: ($0.92, 2 players)
    Player3 bets $0.65, ImSavy raises to $1.80, Player3 raises to $2.95, ImSavy goes all-in $4.55, Player3 folds

Final Pot: $6.82

ImSavy wins $9.74 (net +$4.74)

Player3 lost $3.40

I'm basically just confused by his line, wtf do I do to his reraise?
    Yah once you raise KThh on the flop you definitely have to go with it. So jamming is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    what were your thought process's . did you consider a 4Bet pre since his 3bet range is full of crap, did you consider moving tables since having someone so aggro having position on you is going to be a major pain in the arse
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    what were your thought process's . did you consider a 4Bet pre since his 3bet range is full of crap, did you consider moving tables since having someone so aggro having position on you is going to be a major pain in the arse
    I'm quite happy calling KTs IP against his 3bet knowing he's going to continue almost all the time, is why I'm happy to be raising the flop as his range is mostly air, lots of Kx, Ax type hands that have missed the board. I imagine he's also stacking off with worse FD's and things like 77+ which I don't exactly fair badly against.

I didn't consider moving seat because he wasn't very good and I was quite enjoying playing against some over aggression and practising adjusting.
    call >>>> raise
    From Monday this blog is getting turned into a really boring (as it was fun before now) blog where I write down that I'm going to do stuff and then I'm actually going to do it and if I don't I want people to shout at me and call me nasty names.

A really big problem I have is with schedule, and I think the best way to deal with this is to set myself a strict schedule of the things that I need to do. Especially poker related. I also need a better way of keeping track of my thoughts so I can read through them at a later date and look at all the silly shit that I come out with.

For a start there is literally 0 reason why I shouldn't be getting out of bed every day at 8am. Set my alarm and get up and be ready to start playing by 9.

Another thing I have realised is that yes I can profitably play 6 tables for an hour but I can't do it for long periods of time. Nor am I particularly good at holding concentration for long periods of time. So the obvious answer to this is PRACTICE and realising that practice takes time.

The aim is 3 hour sessions a day (spread out nicely) playing 4 tables. I'm fairly confident that I can do this, however I'm giving myself a week to make sure that I actually can, from there I shall work on adding one table at a time until I am at 6 tables and from there I shall probably decide to increase my session length rather than # tables, but I shall review this later.

After every session I play I am going to be reviewing any problem hands in detail, which I assume will be roughly 2 hands and also reviewing at least one hand, preferably two, of a specific type of spot that I am working on that day (or longer I imagine) for example 3bet pots.

Also throughout the day I want to be doing some more work on the side, like reading articles and lessons, watching videos discussing hands, etc.

Then at the end of every day (and I always have time that I'm wasting doing something) I am going to work on creating a valid note taking system and labelling villains. Yes this is probably a waste of time at the stakes I am playing, but it'll reep it's dividends as I move up.

I shall also be adding extra funds to my bankroll as I have money coming in so I can move up quicker than just grinding my way there although from 10nl upwards I will be making sure I am beating it over a decent sample before I attempt to move up even if I have the bankroll.

tl;dr - that's really not worth reading it's just me collecting my thoughts and attempting to make myself somewhat accountable for them.
    First session played of the week played, started a bit later than I wanted to but this was due to having to sort some stuff out because my sisters not here which I couldn't really avoid. Session went quite well, kept my concentration the whole way through, could be paying better attention to the hands I'm not playing so I will try and work on that, didn't really try anything majorly stupid and didn't attempt to make any hero calls.

Going to read a couple of articles on continuation betting before my next session. Rereading spoons first couple of articles, having a look to see if there is anything in begginers digest and any COTW's on 2+2.

I was thinking of delaying my second session slightly till 3pm to take advantage of happy hour running on stars, but it's really not worth it.
    (Immediate) Pot Odds & Cbetting in a Vacuum.

Let's call the pot P.
    Let's call the bet B, as the bet is a function of the pot we can also let B = xF where x is a constant. For example if we bet pot x=1 if we bet half pot x=1/2 and so on.

The pot odds we offer when we bet B into a pot P and the pot odds we are offered the other way round can be worked out by the following.

B + P : B

By using the fact B = xP we can neaten this up some more.

xP + P : xP
    P (x + 1) : Px
    x + 1 : x

As we want pot odds written as something : 1 for ease of use, we can divide by x.

(x + 1) / x : 1

Most of the time we are betting smaller than the pot so I think the most interesting parts to look at are between 1/2 pot and pot, so I will restrict it to that part for now.

When we bet pot, x = 1

(1 + 1) / 1 : 1 = 2:1

When we bet 2/3 pot, x = 2/3

(2/3 + 1) / (2/3) : 1 = 2.5:1

When we bet ¾ pot, x = ¾

(¾ + 1) / (¾) : 1 = 2.3333:1

When we bet ½ pot, x = ½

(½ + 1) / (½) : 1 = 3:1

What we should notice is that the change in pot odds we offer between ½ and ¾ is bigger than the change in pot odds between ¾ and 1.

In the first part the pot odds go from 3:1 to 2.333:1
    In the second the pot odds go from 2.333:1 to 2:1

We can see this by drawing out the function (x+1)/x

We can see that the more we bet the less difference it makes to the pot odds and that the upper limit on the pot odds we can offer are 1:1 as we tend our bet size to infinity.

Looking at cbetting in a vacuum.

Pot = P, Bet = B = xP, villain folds F and calls (1-F).

For cbetting to be profitable in a vacuum we need our opponent to fold enough of the time that we pick up the pot that it makes up for the times that he calls and we lose our bet and we assume that when he calls he has always won.

Two outcomes are

1) He folds F of the time and we win P
    2) He calls (1-F) of the time and we lose B

The equation therefore is PF – B(1-F) and as we want to know the point at which it happens and we break even we set this to 0.

PF – B(1-F) = 0

PF + BF – B = 0

F(P + B) = B

F = B / (P + B)

Substituting in B = xP

F = xP / (P + xP)

F = xP / P(1 + x)

F = x / (1 + x)

So for cbetting to be profitable in a vacuum we need F to be more than (or equal to, to break even) x/(1+x).

Plugging in the numbers we set that for

pot → x=1 → F > 50%
    3/4 pot → x=3/4 → F > 42.9% (3sf)
    2/3 pot → x=2/3 → F > 40%
    ½ pot → x=1/2 → F > 33.3%

Once again we can analyse this by looking at our equation x / (1 + x).

We see that when we bet 0 we need our opponent to fold >0% for it to be profitable (which makes sense, if our opponent folding if we checked to them we'd always profit)

We also see that the more we bet the more the amount that we need our opponent to fold goes towards 100%.
    The first two (and it looks like the third too) chapters of MoP are so fucking boring.

Also absolutely fml have to go back to uni for over a week, because my two resits are spaced miles apart.
    Last edited by Savy; 08-06-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    Didn't play my third session tonight, played 2 sessions of 4 tabling 6max and during happy hour I just played like 45 mins of 4 tabling zoom.

Watched a quite good grindcore video and made quite detailed notes on it though (thanks m2m) and did a couple of hand reviews. I haven't been doing the multiple hand reviews after every session though and I'm not sure I ever will, I don't want to be reviewing hands straight after I've finished a session. So I may have to do play around with the order that I do some of the things I need to do.

Apart from that it seems to be going quite well though.
    Calling A Shove HU IP
    1 - Identify Pot Size
    2 - Idenfity Bet Size
    3 - Determine Equity
    4 - if bet/(2*bet + pot) < our Equity equity -> call (should factor in rake too, but I won't)

Exact EV
    EV = p(win)*(bet+pot) - p(lose)*(bet)

Example 1
    UTG: $5 (250 bb)
    MP: $2.37 (118.5 bb)
    CO: $2 (100 bb)
    Hero (BTN): $2.05 (102.5 bb)
    SB: $2.93 (146.5 bb)
    BB: $4.05 (202.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 7 7
    UTG folds, MP raises to $0.05, CO folds, Hero calls $0.05, SB calls $0.04, BB calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.20) T 7 5 (4 players)
    SB checks, BB checks, MP bets $0.16, Hero raises to $0.56, 2 folds, MP raises to $2.32 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.44 and is all-in

The pot is $2.46, the bet is $1.44.

Villain has a range of {TT+,77,55,AhKh,AhQh,AhJh}, we have 80% equity

B/(2B+P) = 1.44/(2.88 + 2.46)

So we need 26.97% equity to be profitable.

80>26.97 -> it's a call.

Exact EV wise

EV = 0.8099*(2*1.44 + 2.46) - 0.1901*(1.44)
    EV = 2.89 (3sf)

Last edited by Savy; 08-07-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    For anyone who hasn't already.

http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...er-184365.html

Do this, there's no reason not to.
    Last edited by Savy; 08-07-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    If they are pot sized betting you only need 33.33% equity not 50%. If they are betting any number into 0 you need 50%.

1/(1+2)=1/3
    http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...-a-153854.html

Join IRC. Now.

<Cobra> Nobody folds an A BvB, that's absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by Icanhastreebet View Post
    If they are pot sized betting you only need 33.33% equity not 50%. If they are betting any number into 0 you need 50%.

1/(1+2)=1/3
    I'm an idiot, cheers. That's why we pay attention to how we define things.

Note To Self
    Stop getting ill it costs too much
    Last edited by Savy; 08-08-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    Problem - Not making enough notes whilst playing

Solution - Play less tables till I'm making notes properly, whilst doing I'm allowed to play 5nl because if I downswing ohh noes I can move down and if I win I win, so more (or equal due to reduced tables) profits. Only downside is increased variance, but my winrate should be more than high enough that it's not going to be horrible.

I've created a list of all the abbreviations that I use and can obviously add to this list when I inevitably find stuff that I don't already have on there. Some examples of what I wrote down.

1) c 5b w/AQo

2) l/c QQ MP, l/c 88 UTG, l/c TT UTG

Can't fold mid PP's to overcards

3) r 11bb UTG w/KK

Can't fold KK on A high board

4) S ATo K^RBF 20bb

Short & succinct, with general bits making my adjustments obvious.
    Last edited by Savy; 08-08-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    Not been as good as I should have today, two sessions both around 45minutes long.

On the +side though irc chat has been quite active, so have spoken about poker hands a fair bit today. Just need to make sure that I'm not letting it distract me from playing myself or whilst I am playing. Also don't let it make me stay up too late, as it'll ruin my sleeping pattern. If I am getting up at 8am I can't be going to sleep later than 1am.

Perfect scenario is watch one episode of an average series a night at around 11:30-12:30, or a better idea read a book!

This is important, don't fuck it up.
    Last edited by Savy; 08-09-2013 at 07:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    I'm never calling a 3bet pre at 2NL with QQ. Putting them on AK, AA or KK only is a huge misunderstanding of the stakes. And if you've been 3 betting and playing aggressive enough you will get shoved on by all sorts of shit
    Really?? NEVER CALLING?? I'm 33/33/33 calling/raising/folding on the flop depending on stats but pre??
    What MUST be, most surely SHALL be!!

Been playing around in some tournaments today, various sats and micro tournaments. Finished the first part (Basics) of MoP too.

Also looks as though I may have found a job tutoring for a company too, which is good. Although that'll be getting sorted at the end of August too.

This unfortunately will be the last blog post I'm going to be making till near the end of the month though, because my studying time is needed elsewhere for the time being. Will still be playing the odd session of poker, just not studying as much.
    Well I'm back blogging.

First goal of the month, hit silver star in a week. Will post progress daily.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for where I can find microstakes skype study groups?

FTR chatroom is awesome when it's active, but it's not nearly as active as I'd like it to be.

Think it's only fair I post my ridiculous run good at 5NL, seems to be a happy trend across FTR atm.
    ImSavy: hey dud
    ImSavy: why won't you play me?
    Cater3: will i must?
    ImSavy: i don't understand
    ImSavy: you don't have to
    ImSavy: but it's strange joining tables
    ImSavy: and then you leaving all the time
    Cater3: i know you
    Cater3: so dont play you
    ImSavy: how do you know me?

Moving up in the world, people refusing to play me (I have like 20 hands with him and he's down like 5bb)
    Not playing today, so here's the results from the week. Is like Tue-Fr. Aiming for 10k hands next week Mon-Fri.

Congrats on the recent bankroll booster!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Congrats on the recent bankroll booster!

Pokers actually been going really well, got a stake with some coaching on a 50/50 profit split and I'm currently crushing 10nl zoom for about 6bb/100 AIEV all be it over a smallish sample.

Aim is to be playing 25nl zoom at the start of next year and make a SN run ending the year playing 50nl zoom, maybe even 100nl should be possible if I put in the study.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post

Pokers actually been going really well, got a stake with some coaching on a 50/50 profit split and I'm currently crushing 10nl zoom for about 6bb/100 AIEV all be it over a smallish sample.

Aim is to be playing 25nl zoom at the start of next year and make a SN run ending the year playing 50nl zoom, maybe even 100nl should be possible if I put in the study.
    Np. I was just looking through to see if any fish had luckboxed a score and spotted one! Seems an odd payout structure though for a 4-handed shootout where everybody is all-in every hand - the Advanced shootout paid nearly 50% of runners, which is stupid in a tournament of this structure.

I've got mixed feelings about Zoom. On the one hand, most of the profit at the tables comes from table and seat selection (which isn't possible at Zoom ofc). On the other hand, you can play a bunch of hands but still get some time to make tricky decisions compared to 10-12 tabling standard, since you don't have to routine fold hands on the side and move your mouse around like maniac. I suspect the average player is weak at Zoom too - thoughts?

Your aims seem more than reasonable and hitting SN at 50nl is doable if you 4-table Zoom and average around 55 hours per month. 6bb/100 is good enough to move up too as long as your sample is 50k hands+.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    ImSavy: hey dud
    ImSavy: why won't you play me?
    Cater3: will i must?
    ImSavy: i don't understand
    ImSavy: you don't have to
    ImSavy: but it's strange joining tables
    ImSavy: and then you leaving all the time
    Cater3: i know you
    Cater3: so dont play you
    ImSavy: how do you know me?

Moving up in the world, people refusing to play me (I have like 20 hands with him and he's down like 5bb)
    Just spotted this. There's a handful of players at stakes as low as 25nl that table start, then leave the table when I sit directly opposite and they then go and start another table. I just chase them around for shits and giggles - if they don't want to play HU, why do they open tables?! I'm really bad at HU too.
    Np. I was just looking through to see if any fish had luckboxed a score and spotted one! Seems an odd payout structure though for a 4-handed shootout where everybody is all-in every hand - the Advanced shootout paid nearly 50% of runners, which is stupid in a tournament of this structure.

I've got mixed feelings about Zoom. On the one hand, most of the profit at the tables comes from table and seat selection (which isn't possible at Zoom ofc). On the other hand, you can play a bunch of hands but still get some time to make tricky decisions compared to 10-12 tabling standard, since you don't have to routine fold hands on the side and move your mouse around like maniac. I suspect the average player is weak at Zoom too - thoughts?

Your aims seem more than reasonable and hitting SN at 50nl is doable if you 4-table Zoom and average around 55 hours per month. 6bb/100 is good enough to move up too as long as your sample is 50k hands+.
    haha thanks, I liked the structure tbh. Isn't meant to be a tournament just basically a good way to get people to put in some extra VPP and giving everyone a little bit. I've gone for advanced this week, hopefully put in enough volum today to end on about 250vpp.

I'm really liking zoom atm player pool is bad enough, the games at least up to 100nl (dunno about higher) are apparently easily beatable for a decent bb/100. The sample isn't that big unfortunately, and I doubt my true win rate is as high as 6bb/100 although the games are soft enough that I don't think it'll be much lower. Although I think some of the problem is because I realise how bad, when in reality I'm quite good compared to the standard of the pool.

What I've been told is that the average zoom reg is probably slightly worse than the average reg at the level above for the lower limits of zoom. But you don't get the fun of playing with fish all the time, I somewhat enjoy not having that. I was going to mix zoom & reg, but have really gone off reg tables atm. 6 tabling was really hard for some reason even though I 4 table zoom without any real hassle.

I'm thinking 3bb/100 at 25nl zoom is going to be the aim for the first few months of the year. I worked out that 3.5k hands a day for 300 days is about SN pace or 3k hands a day every day. Which is more than doable, especially if I factor in moving up.

The more short term aim though is grind out enough to play 25nl zoom for the start of the year. Staker was reasonably happy with the above idea and has said if I'm close enough come the end of the year he'll make up the difference so I can start playing.
    Honestly, I'd be surprised if your winrate was less than 6bb/100 at 10nl and you can expect to be earning more than 3bb/100 at 25nl pretty quickly. If you're smart enough and do a bit of study (tick on both counts) and your mental game is strong, you'll be fine with a modest amount of experience.

It makes me laugh when I see on 2+2 that crushing the game is considered to be 4bb+ at any level. Sure, I think that's the case at 100nl plus, but lower is not the case at all once you've played a few hundred thousand hands and some of your knowledge has become what Jared Tendler refers to as unconcious competence. You'll realise once you get towards the 50nl level and if you dropped back in to 5nl/10nl that double digit win rates are more than possible over a large sample (but obviously there's no point financially). I mean I regularly go on short-term spew sessions where I drop 5BI-10BI in an hour and 25BI in 10k hands and still beat 10nl/25nl for a few bb/100 over a large sample. I don't know what those guys on 2+2 are doing, but they've obviously got huge leaks.
    People think they are much better than they are. I'm pretty comfortable beating the stake and I'm awful. Like I do really basic shit pretty well and don't spew a huge amount (still make too many "hero calls") and the rest I just have a decent understanding of some poker concepts. If you looked at my ranges in a lot of spots I can only imagine how horrible they look to a good player. I also think my general style just fits well at the stakes I'm playing atm, like in certain spots I'm probably exploitable in a vacuum but because people spew so much postflop it's not as big a problem as it would be higher up.

I think people beat a stake and think they are the dogs bollocks so when they move up and get beat they just make up excuses rather than it's them being bad.

Also a lot of it is to do with people asking good players what's a good bb/100 and they get told 5bb/100 and assume that it means all stakes not 200nl+ type thing.
    if they don't want to play HU, why do they open tables?!
    because they're all withered bum hunters that only want to play massive drooling fish.

Stars is allegedly going to do something about this problem and force people to play x hands when they open sit HU cash tables. Not sure when this is going to happen, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    It's not HU Cash tables he's talking about though. It's people who table start 6max tables and then leave when you are the first person to sit. It's really strange. And in my example I had literally played a couple of hands with the guy.
    Yeah, meant 6-max really. For somebody to start a dozen tables and then leave each of them within 0-2 hands of me sitting opposite to only start another table is just stupid.

The HU lobby on Stars is absurd though. When I looked at low stakes recently, there were 50+ tables with 50+ different people sat at them and only 2 tables of action.
    I assume it's the same thing. They wanna play a fish and you're not a fish so they leave. And hope that you don't follow them
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!