Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

4nl 6m: I think I sized the turn wrong, now what on the river?

Default 4nl 6m: I think I sized the turn wrong, now what on the river?

Merge - $0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
    Hand converted by not FTR

5 hands in, everyone is unknown. PFR (CO) is raising for the second time, so like whatever AJ is probably good enough to flat COvBU. Overcaller 1 (SB; main villain) is something like 40/0 at this point, and is flatting again, so he's probably a fish.

BB: $1.17
    UTG: $4.00
    CO: $7.35
    Hero (BTN): $4.00
    SB: $4.21

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero has Js Ac

fold, CO raises to $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, SB calls $0.10, BB calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.48, 4 players) Ks 2h Td
    SB checks, BB checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.48, 4 players) Qd
    SB bets $0.24, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.92, SB calls $0.68

River: ($2.32, 2 players) Tc
    SB checks, Hero has 2.96 left behind and bets $?.??

I couldn't figure out a sizing on the turn to where I'm often going to be getting his stack, so I went as high as possible on a more-or-less vulnerable board. If I go $0.80, I probably leave enough money behind to b/f on a paired board or third diamond.

Now that my turn sizing was bad, betting 1.60-2.30 seems bad because I don't really allow myself to fold to a raise. $1.20 seems like I'm missing value just to protect myself in the rare instance that he shoves. Overshoving seems terrible since he has no Tx in his range, so the river is a bit of a scare card to any hand I have beat. Less than $1.20 is missing a ton of value, and this type of player is rarely going to talk himself into turning a missed draw into a bluff.

Thoughts on turn and river sizing are welcome. Well, everything's open; it is an internet forum after all. But like, you know what I mean.
    Last edited by surviva316; 03-27-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Bigger turn raise, shove river.

When you call the turn that's 24+12=36c of your stack gone leaving you with $3.64 and the pot is at $0.96.

So raise by $1 (so raise to $1.24) then if he calls that's $2.96 in the pot leaving you $2.64 behind which is a nice size to shove.

And that's not too much more than a pot sized raise which isn't a ridiculous raise and if he's fishy you can expect him not to care about an extra 30cent or so.

You could even just do a pot sized raise, that'd probably easiest. (Dunno why I didn't just say this, just thought $1 was a nice round number).

As for what you do in that situation, I dunno. Bet like half pot? I don't think you'll be missing out on as much value as you think and he's too passive to be bluff shoving (lol sample size though so dunno)
    Last edited by Savy; 03-27-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    As played shove or bet pot and call
    +1 to bigger turn
    as played shove river
    Virginity is like a bubble: one prick and it's all gone
    Ignoranus (n): A person who is stupid AND an assh*le
    I think he rarely has a hand that beats you here since most would shoved/reraised on the turn (KT/QT/22), mostly he has a King or busted draw. So bet big ($2+), maybe even shove.