Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Where were you 9/11/01?

Default Where were you 9/11/01?

Saw this on another forum.

I woke up for school (highschool), my mom told me to turn on the TV because one of our aunts had called from NY and told her that something bad had happened. I turned on the TV. Said WTF. went to school, spent the whole day in school watching TV with all the other kids wondering wat the hell was going on.

I can't believe its been six years.
    I thought this post was hilarious

Date: 09/10/07 03:59 PM
    9670 Total Posts Ignore User
    Last edited:10-Sep-07 04:04 PM

i was @ work cold callin the elderly to sell them medicare suppliments. couldnt figure out why no one was answering the phone...till the boss informed us what was goin on and told us to go home.

had a flag football league game that nite. called my team captain and he said the game was still on. i didnt feel like playin, i went anyway. only 3 other guys from my team showed up. really a somber feelin as we chatted quitely with the league officials about rescheduling. the opposing team was an all black team, all of them were there and were having a great time. they cheered when the time ran out and we had to forfiet. they couldnt believe that we were too bummed to play. they carried on laffing and joking till they found all games would be rescheduled, lol.
    I was at work finishing up a night shift. We would have a radio playing at night and the DJs started talking about a plane hitting the tower. I thought it was all bulshit because they were those "wacky" morning DJs that think they're funny and are making your morning worthwhile with their zany antics when you really just want them to shut the fuck up and play music. Then I got home and was blown away when I saw it was all over the tv stations and that the towers had now collapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    I was in the army at the time. The alert level was obviously raised, what was the practical consequence for us you might ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant
    ALL WINDOWS AND DOORS ARE TO REMAIN CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
    Yeah, a terrorist attack by plane in New York makes the chances of a biological/chemical attack on a military base in the middle of northern Norway much more imminent!
    i was still hungover from my 18th birthday the night before and thought i was halucinating
    I was in the back of a flatbed truck with 20 goats. (seriously)
    http://chardrian.blogspot.com
    come check out my training videos at pokerpwnage.com
    Was in college..pretty much all my classes were cancelled. Campus was strangely quiet. I remember waking up that morning when my roommate got me up and said I had to come see this, we watched TV on my other roommate's bed for like 2 hours straight.

I also remember gas prices SPIKING really high at the gas station on campus, to some insane amount like $4.75/gal, which was about 3 times higher than it had been the day before. I remember calling my dad and telling him "There's no way I can afford gas if it stays this high!" Thankfully it didn't.

The media played the shit out of 9/11, two or three years later I was at work and on Sept. 11 somebody mentioned something about it, and I totally forgot that it was the 9/11 anniversary. I know it was a terrible tragedy, but man did the media shove it down your throat for so long.
    Save your stories 'cuz they're all the same..
    I was working in London at the time. I was out of the office in a meeting when somebody barged in and said, "Somebody has flown a plane into the World Trade Center!". We all called bullshit, thinking it was some stray Cessna or something.

The meeting finished and we jumped into a taxi back to the office. When we arrived we saw everybody crowded in front of the TV and thought WHAT THE FUCK has happened as the horrible reality unfolded.

It was particularly bad because we had some visitors from our New York office over at the time and one of them had a nephew who was working in the building at the time (and who unfortunately didn't make it out).
    think i was working in woodies ( a DIY chain store) while in college. Went over to the electrics store and watched all the stores TVs all covering the happenings. All i could say was like WOW, WTH.

Not many customers that day if i remember, even in Ireland. Ppl here have alot of family living illegally abroad.
    Jman: every time the action is to you, it's an opportunity for you to make the perfect play.
    Putney, UK; Full Tilt,Mansion; $50 NL and PL; $13 and $16 SNGs at Stars
    We'd been for a highly unusual team-building lunch in Charlotte Street, and I had a meeting to get back to so I left everyone else in the restaurant and walked back to the office. On the way, I saw, on TV screens inside a film company's display windows, the image of the first tower burning and "BREAKING NEWS" scrolling across the screen. I got back to work and immediately checked the web, despite most of my colleagues being clustered round the TV in reception.

No-one did any work that day, and I think the events in NY brought the team together more than any lunch could. I've never had such a hollow, sad, scared feeling, not even during the 7/7 bombings in London in which a close friend of mine was killed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffed22001
    i was still hungover from my 18th birthday the night before and thought i was halucinating

minus the hungover part, or the birthday part
    I was 20, at the university. I thought it was some Hollywood stunts/ pro,o for new special effects. I was actually LOL'ing, until the second plane hit on live tv. It started looking too real.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    I got up to go to school and my mom told me get in her room immediately. I thought she just wanted me to see something cool. When I saw an aerial shot of the WTC's i didn't see the first planes damage. No sound was on. Then we see a plane in the distance. 30 seconds later it rams in to the WTC, and I kid you not, I thought it was some type of magic show. Then suddenly I realized what it really was.
    Check out the new blog!!!
    My high school, of course, didn't inform us until right when school was letting out and told the teachers who knew not to say anything so we didn't have to leave early, skip the lessons to watch the news, etc.
    found out in morning of high school. every classroom had TVs hanging in corner so every class watched CNN all day.

when there was a rumor on cnn (or whatever youd call it) about there being one more plane that was going to crash into something and they were saying that we were going to send fighter jets to shoot it down, our class got in a huge argument about whether it was right or wrong. does anyone else remember this?
    in high school in my cisco networking class. i (seriously) didn't know what the wtc buildings even were or of their existence. i overheard my teacher saying that there was no more wtc buildings and had no idea what was going on. then our principle made an announcement and we watched it on tv for the rest of the day. i didn't realize how big of a thing it was and thought it was weird that some people were crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmind
    My high school, of course, didn't inform us until right when school was letting out and told the teachers who knew not to say anything so we didn't have to leave early, skip the lessons to watch the news, etc.
    That's terrible. I was in high school and it had started already but they told us about it not much went on for the rest of the day.
    I was in 9th grade, walking to my science class, when a buddy of mine told me what happened. We got to class and started asking questions, but my teachers weren't allowed to discuss it and we couldn't watch the news or anything. Even though the 10-12th graders (at another building) were fully informed and spent the whole day watching it.
    I was in my fourth year of college. My roommate was up watching TV. I was in bed because I didn't have class until 11am CST that day. My roommate told me something was going down in NYC. I came out of my room and saw that a plane had hit, but didn't think much of it. I liked to sleep so I went back to bed.

Twenty minutes later or so, I hear a "HOLY SHIT!" come from the living room. My roommate saw the second plane hit live on TV. From that point on I was fixed to the TV.

I went to class and my teacher had CNN on. After about ten minutes (both buildings had come down already) he said, "Well, we're going to continue on with our day. We can't let the terrorists control our lives." And he started class. I stayed for about fifteen minutes and then walked out. Like I want to learn about state and local government bullshit when all of this is going on. Fuck that guy. (he was a terrible teacher anyway, so his class was about the last place I ever wanted to be, with or without it being 9-11)

I came home and ate a sandwich for lunch as we had baseball practice scheduled later in the day. I got to practice and we talked about what had happened, what was going on...We decided that we should still practice that day. It turned out to be a great practice, and we sort of "lost ourselves" out there while we were playing. Whereas I didn't want to be in class, the baseball field was my place of worship, I was with "my family," so to speak...

On the way home from practice I waited in line for almost an hour to get gas and my roommates and I just watched TV all night. At about 7pm that night I finally got through to my mother. She works for the Federal Government and was in Washington D.C. on 9-11, about six blocks away from the Pentagon.

i dont think i will ever be so stunned by anything (unless an alien lands on the white house lawn) as i was when that second plane hit the tower and i was sat watching it live after school.
    Was in band class, Band Director walks in from teaching at the middle school and says something big like pearl harbor has happened in NYC...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffed22001
    i dont think i will ever be so stunned by anything (unless an alien lands on the white house lawn) as i was when that second plane hit the tower and i was sat watching it live after school.
    qft. I was watching in school to and I just could not believe what was going on, it was like something an episode of Thunderbirds. Was watching a documentary about it a few nights ago and it just reminded me how horrible it was. There are so many stories of outstanding bravery from firefighters and civilians, I feel so upset thinking of all those who lost their lives...
    3k post - Return of the blog!
    ironic i went out on the rugby field to play against a local school and broke some kids collar bone.
    I just looked at it and shrugged my shoulders, shit happens.

Put that right into context.
    I remember it too well. I was on my way to class at Kent State University. I was a journalism major (this plays into my story later.)

I was listening to the Bob and Tom show on the way to school (a pretty funny show, and nationally syndicated, so some of you might have heard of it.) They mentioned a plane had crashed in NYC and were waiting on more details. I didn't think much of it, so I decided to stop and get some breakfast at Burger King.

I went in, ate and headed back to the car to get to school. I turned the radio on, and they'd cut away from Bob and Tom to a bunch of screaming and crying people, and I couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on (I hadn't yet made the connection to the plane crash story.

I basically said to hell with my first class and ran to a computer lab to see what was going on. I read the news, and my instant messenger was lighting up from a buddy of mine that lives in Jersey, who was filling me in on the details regarding the Pentagon, etc...

I was stunned, but had an exam in my next class, a journalism one. I got to class early, and was telling people what was going on, and no one believed me, because they'd been in classes all morning and had no idea what was going on.

Our prof came in and told us that as journalists, we should get out and report on what was going on, and to turn in a short article within the hour.

So I headed over to the African American Studies building... not sure why... I'd never really been in there before.

There was a girl on the phone who was absolutely crying her eyes out and frantically dialing phone numbers and fighting with the payphone. I loaned her my cell and patiently waited on her.

As it turned out, her brother worked for the Pentagon, and she was naturally concerned. I sat with her and talked with her for a while, trying to calm her down. I asked her some questions for my story, but I was more concerned for her well-being, and of course, that of her brother.

I headed back to the journalism building and put my story in for the next day's paper, and then classes were canceled for the rest of the day after a flight went down in PA.

I went back to the other building and watched some news and checked in on the girl again, and exchanged email addresses with her, because I wanted to know what happened with her brother.

I then went home and sat with my mom and watched the news, in utter shock and disbelief, never feeling so shaken in my life.

Get your own operations graphic here:
    http://operations.talkingapes.com
    I was in a highschool classroom when they announced it. I live in an nyc commuter town in CT so there were a ton of kids freaking out about their parents who worked in the area. My dad's a consultant and had been in early for a meeting but was already on his way home across the whitestone bridge when he noticed that the towers were smoking. He got home and said to my mom "I saw the weirdest thing, were the financial buildings on fire?"
    LOL OPERATIONS
    In freshman algebra. Class stopped, and we watched the news. Everyone in the class started chanting for them to fall. I couldn't believe it. I don't know if they thaught it was a joke or what, but I got pretty pissed for the rest of the day.
    "$80 million Submarine mansion. Think about it."
    nice fnord

I was home because school starts end of Sept (quarters). I woke up and my mom said the towers were on fire or something. I think "eh, fire" and get in the shower. Right as I'm getting out the first falls, I see the second. My gf at the time was supposed to go to bootcamp that day, it got delayed.

The only other event I remember where I was when it went down is the pacers/pistons brawl.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    UG,
    passionate sex with Kate that night?
    Check out the new blog!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    found out in morning of high school. every classroom had TVs hanging in corner so every class watched CNN all day.

when there was a rumor on cnn (or whatever youd call it) about there being one more plane that was going to crash into something and they were saying that we were going to send fighter jets to shoot it down, our class got in a huge argument about whether it was right or wrong. does anyone else remember this?
    I remember that. I was in junior English class in high school and we had the same argument.
    i was walking to polysci class sophmore year in college. We watched CNN the whole class and then went to my apt and was glued to the TV the rest of the day.

Fnord, that seems in kind of bad taste, but its funny none the less.
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    early poty contender. i sooooo lol'ed
    It all started at about 2pm British time. I got back from school at about 4pm (just after the second tower came down), and as soon as we parked up my brother immediately opened the front door looking white as a sheep, I thought his gf had dumped him or something. I was well wrong. That's all I distinctly remember from that day really.
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSkinsFan
    UG,
    passionate sex with Kate that night?
    Yes, with Kate "the first." My ex-girlfriend was also named Kate.

Needless to say I have never messed up by calling the wrong name out in bed.

I see your Hulk Hogan...

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    ...and I raise you "Macho Man" Randy Savage, OHHHHH YEAHHHHH.

OMG I'm going to hell.

P.S. I've seen a "Stone Cold" Steve Austin one somewhere too that I can post.